Author Topic: The stuff of legend...  (Read 1562 times)

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
The stuff of legend...
« on: 23 February, 2014, 08:28:17 pm »

Re: The stuff of legend...
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2014, 10:21:57 pm »
Ooh, that's lovely! :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2014, 10:25:22 pm »
I used to have a Primus like that, with a brass clip brazed on, so it could attach to the top tube.  8)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2014, 10:45:51 pm »
Heh, I still have an Optimus paraffin stove that looks much like that, and it still gets used on the rare occasions I go camping!
All my friends had fancy petrol burners.
But I reckon I could out-boil then on a pan of water once I got the thing up to speed.
The flame-spreader would glow bright red, and the thing would roar like a 747 on take-off.

There is a great pleasure to be had in priming a paraffin stove and knowing how to 'read' it so you know when it's vapourised enough to start pumping it up.

( I do have to admit to a serious fail about 25 years ago.   I'd left the pressure bleed-off screw loose, and packed it away.  On the walk-in to Knoydart from Kinloch Hourn to the bothy at Barrisdale, I managed to fall over in a stream-crossing. The paraffin leaked out, and impregnated *all* my kit with the stink of paraffin, which never fully vanished. )

F.

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2014, 08:31:11 pm »
We had primuses in school in the 70's; they were responsable (or the operators were irresponsable) for several burnt tents and flysheets due to flare-ups during lighting, fortunately only ever with material consequences.
The only corporal accident involved faulty use of a Trangia, with considerable burns to the unfortunate owner. Trangias were subsequently banned!