Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 411346 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #625 on: 11 April, 2015, 02:30:54 pm »
Dear Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia,

Please do not tell me that an upgrade to iOS 8.3 is available and then tell me the install "failed" scarcely had it even begun, thereby causing me to fear that my Fondleslab had turned into an expensive paperweight.  Furthermore, please do not present no information as to why this has happened.

Or I'll set fire to your black roll-neck jumpers with you inside them.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #626 on: 13 April, 2015, 02:01:46 pm »
Oi! Mega!-Global! Exclamation! Mark! Corporation! of! Sunnyvale!, USAnia! Why! is! flickr! so! shit! on! a! Fondleslab!?

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #627 on: 13 April, 2015, 03:51:02 pm »
"Windows is up to date.  There are no updates available."  OK, so now we can shut the machine down..... "Applying 1 of 179"

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #628 on: 13 April, 2015, 08:19:11 pm »
Oi! Mega!-Global! Exclamation! Mark! Corporation! of! Sunnyvale!, USAnia! Why! is! flickr! so! shit! on! a! Fondleslab!?

To provide UI consistency with flickr on all other platforms, of course.

While we're ranting about UI, it turns out that there's a devious security feature in Android that stops you from being able to click on the SuperSU "grant root privileges to this app" button when sounds-like-a-sparkly-vampire has dimmed the screen to a soothing nocturnal tint.  While I'm all for avoiding privilege escalation attacks (especially those perpetrated by manipulative sparkly vampires - see endless teen fiction passim) the correct thing to do from a UI perspective at that point is, as any fule knows, to pop up a little animated GIF of Dennis Nedry saying "Ah-ah-ah!".  Silently inhibiting the button press and allowing the dialog to time out to its default "deny" state will merely convince the user that their touchscreen is broken, and/or there's a mysterious bug in SuperSU that only allows root access during hours of daylight.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #629 on: 13 April, 2015, 08:27:07 pm »
It runs fine on my WIn7 PC but like a dog on the Macbook (Mountain Lion)
Maybe it is a seekrit conspiracy to persuade me to upgrade to Yosemite.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #630 on: 13 April, 2015, 09:23:52 pm »
Just left this on the Virgin Media forum, I wonder if it will be deleted or answered?

I am an occasional user of TV Anywhere, I haven't used it for about 7 months, maybe more. I'm used to Virgin's unbelievably poor web implementations, but really, this is shocking.

The service used to work fine for me, no problems, now does it? Does it heck. After finding the service - for which anyone deserves a Top Sleuth medal - come on, Virgin, how difficult would it be to put a link on the top of some useful or intuitive page? No, why do that, put a link to a load of useless blurb and hide the live link at the bottom -  signing in multiple times as ever with Virgin - Chrome appears to be broken completely,

OK let's try Firefox. Oh, look! Having registered in Chrome, Firefox thinks this computer is another device. I wouldn't swear to it (because that would actually mean Virgin implemented something useful) but I'm fairly certain it used to be by device rather than by browser. Not sure I want to have two registrations on the same machine. So...

Let's try Android. I have a Nexus 5 running Lollipop,I'm up for trying it. On the "help" (mwah hah hah) page it tells me the Nexus 5 is fully supported. OK, lets find it on Google Play. For whatever reason, can't be found on the phone, OK, use the desktop. Oh, look. "This application is not compatible with your device"  That's another fine mess you've made, Virgin.

I assume that is because I am now running 5.1, which has been about for a while, but it is a pretty poor show.

Program I wanted to watch is finished now.

Virgin, you took what was a passably good service and have buried it.

(program was Paris Roubaix - I assume they have deliberately broken Chrome because of Chromecast - what I wanted to use to watch)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #631 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:38:29 pm »
Dear cow-orkers.
You work in the IT industry.
You should understand about this kind of stuff.

When I need you to send me  500MB files, I don't expect you to struggle to find a way to do it.
I don't expect you to try to e-mail it.

We have a shared network drive on a local server, on a gigabit LAN for exactly this purpose.

So WTF do you all insist on skyping them to me, thereby tromboning the file all the way out to Skype's server-in-the-sky, and all the way back, over our mediocre interpipes?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #632 on: 16 April, 2015, 12:51:55 am »
Because they haven't got enough quota on DropBox, obviously.

Barakta tried to send me some files using DropBox the other week.  It's supposed to spot clients on the same LAN and transfer the files locally, but it clearly wasn't.  Sneakernet would have ultimately been much less painful, as would my original suggestion of putting them in a directory on the file server and chmodding it.  Won't be making that mistake again.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #633 on: 16 April, 2015, 12:15:25 pm »
Whereas a while back Dr Larrington sent me an 80kb text file, which started life as an e-mail anyway, via Dropbox.  That was a prime candidate for being an attachment.  Doubly so if it takes you three attempts to remember your Dropbox passworm >:(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #634 on: 17 April, 2015, 01:12:52 pm »
Note to self: read fucking small print.  New Babbage-Engine did not come with keyboard or mouse whereas one with Windows pre-installed does.  Rolling one's own Windows install had better be worth it >:(

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #635 on: 17 April, 2015, 07:50:22 pm »
Corsair and Antec power supplies with modular cables: they use the same connectors, but with the pins wired differently (in a bad way as well), so I can't use my customised SATA power cables without more customisation.  Adopt a standard, you bloody annoying manufacturers.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #636 on: 17 April, 2015, 11:30:58 pm »
As good as any place to put this.

Wireless charging it is not, when you need to wire up the object that your item needs to be millimetres from to be able to charge. It is only wireless when you can walk on the moors miles away from a power point and have a full charge. OK I will accept it if it is within your house.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #637 on: 18 April, 2015, 12:30:13 am »
Wireless charging it is not, when you need to wire up the object that your item needs to be millimetres from to be able to charge. It is only wireless when you can walk on the moors miles away from a power point and have a full charge. OK I will accept it if it is within your house.

It's charging without a direct electrical connection.  That's wireless enough for me, by any reasonable definition (eg. that it's relying on magic, rather than electricity).  The effect works over long distances, if you drop the frequency low enough and make the antenna correspondingly longer - but that's more useful for injecting annoying buzzing noises into people's hearing aids or painstakingly instructing submarines to nuke Moscow, rather than topping up your iPhone.

Besides, if your device could be an arbitrary distance from the power source and have a full charge, you wouldn't need a battery, would you? 

Presumably "magnetoquasistatic charging" was considered to be a bit of a mouthful...   ;D

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #638 on: 18 April, 2015, 06:33:44 am »
Well that was what Mr Nikola Telsa was working some nearly hundred years ago.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #639 on: 18 April, 2015, 07:57:44 am »
Dear Screwgle,

When I disable apps that means that I don't want updates, clearly.

Why don't you understand that?

Please stop behaving like you know what's best for me.  You are not my doctor.

That is all.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #640 on: 18 April, 2015, 08:32:14 am »

While he was no odder, say, than a monkey in a bucket of custard or some members of this forum, by most rational standards he was a bit of a fruitbat, thobut : demon:

« Reply #641 on: 18 April, 2015, 10:19:09 am »
Regarding Tesla, didnt the Royal Navy used to cook/explode cows in the Shetlands or some such, using low frequency submarine comms?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #642 on: 18 April, 2015, 01:04:30 pm »

While he was no odder, say, than a monkey in a bucket of custard or some members of this forum, by most rational standards he was a bit of a fruitbat, thobut : demon:

Tesla's resonant inductive coupling experiments were valid enough, the fruitbattery was expecting to be able to use what is fundamentally a nearfield effect over long distances (for that you really need a microwave beam, or something).  He probably didn't know that at the time, though.  He also didn't have to worry about the FCC sending the lads round.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #643 on: 18 April, 2015, 11:51:37 pm »
Look, Windows, just because both those machines are on the same network does not mean I want them to look the same.  They have different monitors, FFS.  I'll do you a little table:

MachineLogin screenDesktop background
LapdancerSmall-block ChevyMonument Valley
DesktopLister-JaguarBonneville Salt Flats

Is that so difficult to accomplish, you useless gonk?

ian

« Reply #644 on: 20 April, 2015, 07:20:54 pm »
Oh look, Apple have released a super new replacement for iPhoto. Now, what's probably the most complained about piece of shit software that Apple produce? Hmm, I think it would take anyone about a femtosecond to joyously declare i-Fucking-Tunes. Is there any anyone on planet Earth who says 'whoo, that new iTunes UI is particularly easy and intuitive, I only wish more products would use it.' No. I've asked the Dr0moP54$$s of Xargxx IV and even they've heard it's the most shit UI ever invented. That's because it's the most shit UI in the entire universe. It's a UI so shit that even Microsoft would demur.

So what did the blessed of Cupertino do? They ported the same cryptic UI over to Photos. Dump the entire paradigm of 'events' which made nice containers for your photos, so you can nicely label things (admittedly no one knew the difference between an event and an album, but iPhoto always presented you with an event). Now, OK, I'd really like to go back and put several thousand photographs back into albums. Actually I wouldn't. Perhaps I could live with all that, but seriously, you've removed many of the metadata options, including the ability to add a location to a picture unless it's taken with a device that has GPS. So instead I just have a big list of photos and dates. Very fucking useful.

Edit: none of this should be taken to mean that iPhoto is good. iPhoto is still a big enough turd to give a straining brontosaurus cross-eyes.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #645 on: 21 April, 2015, 01:17:27 am »
Could I mention that iTunes is generally OK as long as all you use it for is keeping an iPod fed and watered.  Manually, obv.  I have bought precisely two albums from the iTunes Store and can only find one of them outwith the iThings Library - I think Bonio must have petioned the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia to hide the other one* after I slagged U-DOS off for appearing all unwanted like in iStuffs last year.

I know nothing of this iPhoto of which Sir speaks but then I can't be arsed with metadatastasing photos anyway, and the "upgrade" to iOS on the fondleslab last September - with its constant blathering about the lack of a SIM card - was way more annoying than anything iTunes has ever done to me.

* "Spectre At The Feast" by the very splendid Hellset Orchestra

ian

« Reply #646 on: 21 April, 2015, 09:42:07 am »
It's that these programs have a UI design that seems, like a rebellious and none-too-bright teen, intent on breaking every convention. Options and views that come and go, ghostly and elusive sidebars. You want the 'collections' view in Photos, you have to press a back button from 'moments'. Seriously. What's a fucking 'moment' anyway and what do they have to do with with 'collections'? If you want a timeline, why not years < months < weeks < days? Uh?

And that they lose random features. Not all cameras have GPS and it's useful to know where a picture was taken. In ten years time I probably won't know where I was on 17 April 2015. In about five months time, I won't remember. I shouldn't have to play of a game isn't that the building in... Before you could select a pile of pictures, click 'get info' and add a place. Job done. It doesn't seem exactly an edge use case. It's information that it automatically retains for photos with the location added by the camera, though again not editable. Same for 'faces' which now clunks. Again, I'd like to be able to tag pictures and pull up, say, all the pictures I've taken in Hong Kong, or those that feature the delightful Cohort of Ms Frangipani.

The quest for reducing functionality to match that on a tablet continues. I blame Finestre, the Demon of Such Things. She had to trump skeuomorphism, which while inspired, hah had its day. She really does outdo herself. I think her performance review must be coming up.

« Reply #647 on: 21 April, 2015, 10:32:22 am »
I use aperture, which is like grown up iPhoto. I tried the photos app because the idea of syncing my photos between my machines over iCloud appealed however I've just reimported my photos into aperture because photos is rubbish.

If I just wanted to browse all my photos in a list I'd just dump them in a folder.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

ian

« Reply #648 on: 21 April, 2015, 11:45:14 am »
If I just wanted to browse all my photos in a list I'd just dump them in a folder.

Yes, but with Photos you get a smear of unusable teeny thumbnails like someone has pinned an entire year's worth of photos to a fence at the far end of a large car park and left you to squint at it with a pair of cheap binoculars.

I must be getting old. I don't really care about sharing all my photos. I just want to catalogue my pictures in a useable way that let's me easily find the photo I want. Anyway, without geotagging it's useless, so I'll need to find something else to satisfy what I thought were my undemanding needs.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #649 on: 21 April, 2015, 12:27:04 pm »
Aperture.

I want Aperture. Not iPhotos

At some time in the future, when Aperture stops working I shall have to find a new Photo management and manipulation app. Which makes me  >:( >:( >:(
It is simpler than it looks.