Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 479932 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #3250 on: 27 August, 2020, 09:04:05 am »
Hell of a shock last night.  MrsT has had severe diarrhoea for over a week and has been treating it with the usual rice, pasta and eggs, to no avail. On Monday I finally persuaded her to let me call the doc, who dropped in on Tuesday and gave her an antibiotic. Analysis showed campylobacter, so he came round again yesterday with a prescription for azithromycin*, which would clobber the infection in just one large dose instead of a one-week course of the other antibiotic.  Last night she took the azithromycin just before dinner.

About 15 minutes later she suddenly said "I feel strange" and then "my head's spinning". Then her head went forward, her face went blotchy yellow and her jaw dropped. She didn't react when I spoke to her. Her hands went cold, she broke into a cold sweat and lost bladder control.

Last time I had seen anything like that was when the Inlaw Paw had a massive internal haemorrhage and we nearly lost him, so I called the emergency services, but while I was talking to them she began to move again, and very gradually returned.  Meanwhile the emergency doc had got all the data, and told me that vertigo was a not unusual reaction, although he didn't comment on the other symptoms. End of panic.

I got her upstairs in the Inlaw Paw's electric chair for a clean-up. Thereafter she was very weak for a while, but after tea and a couple of hours in a comfy chair she was a lot better. This morning she's fine - had a good breakfast and told me to go cycling.

It looked to me like a shock reaction with a severe drop in blood pressure, although I didn't have time to get the BP meter.

Not something we're going to forget in a hurry - I hope I never see it again.

* yes, that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3251 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:03:47 am »
That sounds like a real nightmare.  Azithromycin does cause vertigo, and dizziness along with vasodilation.  It might be worth looking at any possible drug interactions.
https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/azithromycin.html

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3252 on: 27 August, 2020, 10:53:17 am »
Bloody hell!  THAT must have been awful for both of you.
Best wishes and gws to Mrs T42.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3253 on: 27 August, 2020, 01:32:37 pm »
Thank you both.  It was horrible when it lasted.

Those nice NICE people only allow access from the UK or hangers-on, but I've read up a bit on it elsewhere.  Says a lot about MrsT, too, that the very first movement she made while coming round was to reach for the package-insert leaflet.  She's fine now: not quite sprightly, but getting there.

I did go cycling as instructed but didn't have any heart for it. Turned back at 10k.

« Reply #3254 on: 27 August, 2020, 02:03:06 pm »
What a horrid experience - and you with your heart stuff, too.  So glad it seems to be sorted out.  Have you any idea what caused the food-poisoning?

Best wishes,

Peter

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3255 on: 28 August, 2020, 11:26:06 pm »
Chest x-ray today, as a follow-up from my chest x-ray while I was in hospital.  Apparently I have a bulky upper pole in my left hilum.

Whatever next. Hopefully the consultant will make sense of this all when I see the orthopedic consultant on the 9th of September.  :facepalm:. No doubt he'll refer me onto yet another consultant with a 3 month wait for an appointment...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3256 on: 29 August, 2020, 12:03:42 am »
The hilum is the 'root' of the lung. Bulkiness there is most commonly from big lymph nodes or, occasionally, engorgement of the blood vessels.

Hope you're sorted soon!

BrianI

« Reply #3257 on: 31 August, 2020, 02:48:11 pm »
Physio appointment via online video call tomorrow!  ???

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3258 on: 31 August, 2020, 03:24:48 pm »
What a horrid experience - and you with your heart stuff, too.  So glad it seems to be sorted out.  Have you any idea what caused the food-poisoning?

Best wishes,

Peter

Thanks, Peter.  Haven't any smoking guns, but we do have dogs & a parrot and the neighbour has chickens, so transfer of germs via flies is a possibility. :sick:

MrsT's almost back to normal now. Ouf.

« Reply #3259 on: 31 August, 2020, 08:37:51 pm »
Never eaten a parrot but they eat dogs in China and now look what's happened.  Glad things are better.  (Putting your wife in the electric chair has given me an idea - I expect it gave her a bit of a shock, too!)

All the best

Peter

BrianI

« Reply #3260 on: 02 September, 2020, 11:15:21 am »
OOoh, fancy!

Saw NHS physio via online consultation yesterday. I now have some prescribed exercises to do to try and improve the strength of my legs. You now get a link as well for a smart phone app, which also shows you your specified exercises! (Physiotools)   :thumbsup:

« Reply #3261 on: 02 September, 2020, 11:05:08 pm »
Does the app have exercises for smart phone neck, which will soon be a thing (related to Cockney neck as in ET crowd)?

Good luck, Brian!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3262 on: 03 September, 2020, 08:40:38 am »
OOoh, fancy!

Saw NHS physio via online consultation yesterday. I now have some prescribed exercises to do to try and improve the strength of my legs. You now get a link as well for a smart phone app, which also shows you your specified exercises! (Physiotools)   :thumbsup:

Good luck with that. My phone is so full of stuff I don't need, can't uninstall or move out to an SD card that I can't install anything I really could use. Motorola G3 or some such.

Good luck with the exercises.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3263 on: 03 September, 2020, 08:56:58 am »
That episode with Mrs T42 sounds really frightening.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3264 on: 03 September, 2020, 11:18:22 am »
That episode with Mrs T42 sounds really frightening.

Yeah.  I'm still wondering if the heroic dose of 4 tablets at once was necessary: individually over the course of an hour or two might have been kinder.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3265 on: 03 September, 2020, 12:53:01 pm »
Just in the queue for Hoka Europe as I need to arrange sending back a pair of running shoes I ordered (I ordered two pairs and one pair will be kept). It seems they forgot to add the Returns note into my box.

Anyway, when I first called I got a recorded message from a lady in German saying which options to press etc, but first she said "Hoka One One" as the company name, but pronounced it the German way, so "Hoka oh-nay oh-nay"  :D
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3266 on: 03 September, 2020, 01:05:21 pm »
Just in the queue for Hoka Europe as I need to arrange sending back a pair of running shoes I ordered (I ordered two pairs and one pair will be kept). It seems they forgot to add the Returns note into my box.

Anyway, when I first called I got a recorded message from a lady in German saying which options to press etc, but first she said "Hoka One One" as the company name, but pronounced it the German way, so "Hoka oh-nay oh-nay"  :D

Hoka oh-ay oh-ay is the correct pronunciation.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3267 on: 03 September, 2020, 04:42:10 pm »
Oh is it? Even though it looks like a British company (or at least European central distribution is organised from the UK)

Interestingly, when my call was picked up after 50 minutes (!!!!) the woman on the end of the phone said "do you speak English"? I think she was relieved I did as it seemed she didn't speak German. Obviously they transferred the call to a different call centre...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #3268 on: 03 September, 2020, 06:21:24 pm »
Oh is it? Even though it looks like a British company (or at least European central distribution is organised from the UK)

Interestingly, when my call was picked up after 50 minutes (!!!!) the woman on the end of the phone said "do you speak English"? I think she was relieved I did as it seemed she didn't speak German. Obviously they transferred the call to a different call centre...

The name is Maori, the company is French. Go figure.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3269 on: 04 September, 2020, 09:01:30 am »

The name is Maori, the company is French. Go figure.

French in origin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoka_One_One

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3270 on: 07 September, 2020, 01:51:13 pm »
Absolutely atrocious night's sleep.

Yesterday's tile-bagging mission involved comprehensive nettle stings to both my lower legs.  Being over the age of 10, I mostly ignored the tingling, knowing it would go away after a few hours.

Until, it seems, about an hour after I went to bed, at which point my skin was crawling.  Not quite itchy, not quite painful, but somewhere between the two, and utterly intolerable.  Vaguely reminiscient of how my mouth felt when I had a bad reaction to Cephalexin.  Weirdly, nothing visible on the skin - I was expecting the usual allergic welt.  I took some chlorphenamine and painkillers, which did approximately nothing, but eventually discovered that if I stuck both legs out from under the duvet and lied there shivering the cold would reduce the sensation to tolerable levels, except on the side in contact with the mattress, which would stay warm.  Turn over, scratch, repeat.

I appear to have managed not to shred the skin around my ankles in my sleep, as I'm prone to do with insect bites.  Probably because I haven't really had any sleep.  It's fine now because I'm awake, my legs are cold, and I can ignore the tingling.

I've not had a reaction like that to stinging nettles before.  It had better fuck off by tonight.    >:(???

Davef

« Reply #3271 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:48:54 pm »
I think there is quite a range of stinging nettles or certainly my reaction to them. Normally I barely notice and 5 minutes later is if forgotten but occasionally I have had long lasting (2-3day) reactions.

simonp

« Reply #3272 on: 07 September, 2020, 06:55:46 pm »
Palpitations, good or bad?

Phone consultation tomorrow. Probably harmless. I'm experimenting with no caffeine. So far a mild headache and a healthy BP seem to be the outcome, but no change in the palpitations. Home ECG from Apple Watch (not mine, it's too old) suggests not life threatening.

Chris S

« Reply #3273 on: 07 September, 2020, 08:01:39 pm »
Palpitations, good or bad?

Phone consultation tomorrow. Probably harmless. I'm experimenting with no caffeine. So far a mild headache and a healthy BP seem to be the outcome, but no change in the palpitations. Home ECG from Apple Watch (not mine, it's too old) suggests not life threatening.

Stress and lack of sleep kicks mine off - ectopic beats, so a missed beat followed by a big beat. It happened whilst I was being monitored in hospital once, and they were completely nonplussed by them in a kind of "Oh, everyone gets those, most people can't feel them" way.

« Reply #3274 on: 08 September, 2020, 10:36:36 am »
I've not had a reaction like that to stinging nettles before.  It had better fuck off by tonight.    >:(???
Standard tile-bagging practise for me- I think it's the added brambles that do it?

(this comment is both facetious, and sadly, accurate)