Author Topic: The walk of shame  (Read 1008 times)

The walk of shame
« on: 31 March, 2014, 04:49:09 pm »
I felt like I had the bars on my Dirty Disco too low yesterday so, at lunch-time, I decided to move them up.
Previously I'd raised and lowered them without problem but I'd had a new headset fitted since the last time .............

As I undid the bolt on the top there was a "thunk" as something dropped into the steerer tube.
Fishing around, I managed to retrieve a device that consisted of a rubber band around four cylindrical wedges.
This was a new one on me and I couldn't figure out how it worked so I pushed the bike to the LBS for the shake of the head and the sad smile  :-[

Five minutes later, I was walking out of there with an intact bike.
The mechanic retrieved another piece (the nut off the end of the plug) from the steerer and it went back together very easily.

They didn't charge me but I'll need to return with biscuits  ;)

Re: The walk of shame
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »
Be thankful.
Always.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2014, 04:59:35 pm »
Carbon steerer tube was it? Those star-fangled nut substitutes can be reluctant to let go. Similar happened to me once. I took the bolt all the way out to get the top cap off, whereupon the wedges dropped down the steerer tube, not to be shaken back out. Think I fished them out with a spoke in the end.

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2014, 08:38:59 pm »
I went out on my MTB this evening, which I keep in the shed with the bars turned sideways as the shed is narrow.
I straightened the bars, and rode off. Steering seemed really twitchy, so carried on wobbling along until I realised the fork was turned round the wrong way. The shame of having to fix it by the roadside...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2014, 09:39:47 pm »
My customers are constantly surprised how well their mail order bikes handle after a service.    :thumbsup:

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2014, 09:54:01 pm »
I was fooled by these new fangled suspension fork with no rake to them. Maybe I should apply for a job in Halfords