Author Topic: L'Eroica Britannia  (Read 1952 times)

L'Eroica Britannia
« on: 26 April, 2014, 11:45:14 pm »
I know it's expensive and all, but I really fancy riding this. I grew up in the area and my parents still live in Bakewell.

Just waiting to hear if I can ride my Peugeot Aravis, and their views on singlespeed and gears before entering.

Anyone else joining in?

Mike

Re: L'Eroica Britannia
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:00:33 am »
what a great weekend!- a choir singing in the tunnels on the railway trail- what seemed like the whole of Tideswell coming out to clap and home made cakes etc at the foodstops

cant wait till next year- and if they can match this then perhaps going to Italy to the "real" one may come off the to do list!

I stopped moaning  about Raleigh Ace brakes (or lack) when I saw Tim Moore on his 1914 racer with wooden rims- single speed and not far behind

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2014, 01:28:42 pm »
A group of friends did this - nothing but good times reported. On my list to do next year that is if can source the appropriate age bike.

« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2014, 03:16:23 pm »
Whatever happened to pulling one out of the skip?

http://www.steel-vintage.com/
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »
We rode over on Saturday. Excellent show, lots to see and do and FREE.

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2014, 03:54:22 pm »
and although entry fee looked expensive to begin with - free camping, the food/drink  during and after the ride and effort that the organisers and support team gave made the whole thing seem very good value.

the "bike from a skip" idea is a good one- there were a couple of immaculate Hetchings amongst others riding- it would have spoiled the ride for me worrying about it getting scratched/pinched or whatever

the Raleigh Ace complete with scratches (sorry patina!) was a relaxed companion

suddenly I appreciate my Rourkes and how much kit on modern bikes have improved