Author Topic: FNRTTC Dates for 2009  (Read 21135 times)

Martin

Re: FNRTTC Dates for 2009
« Reply #150 on: 13 March, 2009, 11:56:06 pm »
enjoy All;

Just ridden home along the Cuckmere Haven FNRTTC route of 2007 (with a Scenic diversion over Kenley Aerodrome); Woldingham School was the busiest road en route; must have had a play on. Jackass Lane was skogissimo.

The moon has just begun to show its face. Quite a cold and persistent headwind; it won't be the most pleasant ride; but not the least by a long chalk either  :)

a big booooo to the speed humps on Clapham Common

« Reply #151 on: 14 March, 2009, 01:39:07 am »
I just left them after about 11 miles, between Beddington and Carshalton.  They were doing a cracking pace, so I don't expect that they'll be late into Brighton unless other problems intervene.

Unusually there was some sort of event on in the archway at Hyde Park Corner, although it seemed to be finishing as we were waiting there.

The traffic seemed a bit busier on the stretch that I cycled, more so than on the three (at least) previous rides I've been on in that direction.  Maybe it was because of Red Nose day, and more people were out doing things.  The weather is very mild for the time of year, which probably helps to encourage people out, and is also very good for FNRttC attendance, which was something like 40 people.  I didn't think it felt cold, I was just wearing mits, and a thin merino top with a thin fleece over.  Having said that, I'm not exactly noted for feeling the cold on rides. ;D

I've got a mild headache, and I think the cat was suffering from separation anxiety, after having his first whole day at home whilst I've been at work, since getting out of the vets.  He's been following me around the house, which is unlike him, he's normally a bit more independent.  It's probably just as well I decided to leave early.

I'm sure there will be lots of people along in a few hours to say how much they enjoyed the ride.  It looks like it should be a good one, I think the weather is playing it's part, it's dry, which has to be an improvement on last year.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #152 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:15:52 am »
That was good.

I think we numbered just over 40.
Given the size of the group, it was an (almost - bar one p*nct*re) incident free evening.

The weather held out - reasonably mild (for March), with a bit of mist and drizzle just before, during, and just after Ditchling.

We had an audience with TT who rode out to meet us on Lonesome Lane - looking, as he rode towards us, as would a car on two wheels (as Charlotte quipped) on account of his bright lights being arranged one above the other.

There was some cracking pace-setting at the front end, especially by  some new faces.
Some of whom spoke occasionally of other sports and competition in general......
My legs at the moment?
Ripped off.....

Madeira Cafe did well, what it does best - feeding many swiftly.

Thanks to all for the company, and Simon for the organizing.

Next one ? - Southend on Thursday April 9th.

« Reply #153 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:20:48 am »
I'll second that. I stupidly was one of the pacesetters between Turners Hill and Lindfield, paying for it with a cramp in my thigh between Ditchling and Hollingbury.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #154 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:42:33 am »

If Laura's on line - are up for tandemming to Saarfend next month?

Sure why not...has it got spds? (I was using the flat side of whatever you've got when I had a go on the WARTY)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #155 on: 14 March, 2009, 10:46:49 am »
I had my Barts eye appointment in the morning so didn't feel it was sensible to do a long ride after all the drops and so on. I ambled out along Meath Green Road, being accosted by two young ladies who were apparently in need of a ride on my bike, or some such. They appeared mildly disabled, with mobility issues, but when one of them succumbed to a digestive transit trauma I decided to move on.
My aim was simply to head out along Meath Green/Lonesome till I ran head-on into the massed Dinottes of the throng,and I equipped myself with double Cateye E530, and a Karrimor head torch (seven quid, Sports World). I duly ran into the throng waiting at the top of a small rise with traffic calming barriers.
There were several puzzled looks as I rode up, and Charlotte's call of "sideways car" rang out. What a mixed collection of vehicles, from a knobbly-tyred MTB, through a Mundo freighter to somebody's Colnago.
I took up a back marker space, and realised that someone at the front was stretching it a bit. Adrian and I were chatting, and decided to let our legs warm up a little, so we moved on up through the field till the drama of Jurek's Bend, where nobody fell off.
A regathering at the junction, another at the Air Balloon, and on down Victoria Road, where I found out that Simon's route into Gatwick doesn't take The Muddy Path, as NCN21 is known to me, but The Shitty Path, which is tarmac with a tyre-gripping central seam, lamp posts, sharp fenced bends, un-dropped kerbs, and so on.
The Gatwick surprise awaited us. I had already upset Charlotte by calling her That Name (retribution will strike when I least expect it) an as we squeezed the tandem and three solos into the lift, I exacerbated the offence. I opened the lift inner door while we were still moving.....the lift stopped, hesitated, then went all the way down again.
Costa. Ski bunnies. Muffins.....and all too soon time to move on. Due to the time, the wallabies were left in peace, and I waved them all off down Balcombe Road, having had just a nice warm-up and leg stretch. When I have no eye issues, then....it was tempting, but not tonight, Joesphine.

« Reply #156 on: 14 March, 2009, 11:08:11 am »
Very enjoyable night's ride.  Weather was fine other than a little mist and fog.

What 40+ cyclists in Gatwick looks like:

Managed to grind my way up the Beacon on the Yuba. Started at the head of the group and practically everyone rode through me, but I got up there in the end.

We really do need to get an inflatable Narwhal mascot to take with us on the rides.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #157 on: 14 March, 2009, 11:42:58 am »
There does appear to be a gap in the market for inflatable narwhals (Google reveals an inflatable boat called a Narwhal, but that's just silly to take along on a ride*).  I think the horn poses a challenge; it would need to be a rigid add-on.

*OK, it could give another option for crossing the Thames
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #158 on: 14 March, 2009, 12:12:13 pm »

(Google reveals an inflatable boat called a Narwhal, but that's just silly to take along on a ride*). 

Don't tempt him.

« Reply #159 on: 14 March, 2009, 01:34:28 pm »
How many times were you asked if 'this' is something to do with Red Nose Day?  It would be so much easier to say yes, but its so much more fun to see the ensuing facial expressions when the truth is told.  Alan, I hold you responsible.  Alan, with Red Nose on helmet, is a FNRttC-er who hasn't heard of YACF, would you Adam and Eve it?

We had some great fast stretches.  I also love the rolling section after the climb in Coulsdon.  I liked pretty much all of the ride, except for the on/off puncture, which meant that I ended up walking up Ditchling Beacon.

The mist over Ditchling Beacon and Brighton was an improvement on the hail we had last year.  Shame we couldn't even see the sea though!

Thanks Simon and TECs, and all who assisted in puncture repairs. 

Was this really the way to Gatwick? More photos here.

« Reply #160 on: 14 March, 2009, 02:01:54 pm »
There has to be at least one fairy visitation for it to be a FNRttC. ;D

That footpath bit of the route into Gatwick is interesting, and even more so if you've got a Tandem, since it's a bit narrow and twisty.  I bet Liz and Charlotte were impressed!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #161 on: 14 March, 2009, 05:13:35 pm »
It wasn't too bad, actually.  You'll only really have issues down that path if you're on a trike.  Even then, I've seen people manage.

It's got to be said - I'm knackered!  We decided to forgo the tea and slippery eggs in favour of making straight for the station, a latte and an early train back to the metropolis. 

That was a fast ride, I thought.  Okay, it's still off season and my legs aren't that used to pumping out the miles again, but I'm disproportionally tired now.  We got home, hoovered some toast and have been dozing most of the day, on and off.

Brilliant ride, though.  Simon's right; it really is a balm for the soul, cracking along a deserted lane in the wee small hours.  Great to see Tourist Tony at Gatwick (even if he did blot his copy book with me... ::-))

Props to Simon as ever.  Also to the TECs and impromptu mechanics.  You're all splendid people.  Lovely to meet some new faces, too.  Doubly so when they have cake  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #162 on: 14 March, 2009, 05:35:32 pm »

It's got to be said - I'm knackered! 

C, you are not alone. I've had a couple of hours kip, and have since been up and Done Things.
It's not so much a muscular ache with me, as it is my knees that have had the pounding.

There was some ferocious pace setting, (and at times I know I could've layed off - but something stopped me  :D) and now I seem to think I have whinge priority ::-)

'Twas a fine, fine ride though - good to see you two tandemistas.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #163 on: 14 March, 2009, 05:38:47 pm »
Well I'm another one who's a bit pooped.  

Several times I went racing from the back up to the front, and paid for it, wheezing up Ditchling.  I almost had to get off & walk up there, which would have been the first time in 18 months.  However, the sight of Jurek not giving in, a bit ahead of me, inspired me to keep going.

It was good to see so many new riders coming along.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #164 on: 14 March, 2009, 05:47:21 pm »
It's got to be said - I'm knackered!  ... That was a fast ride, I thought.

I think at the start that Simon said things would speed up after Mitcham, and for the three miles or so that I was with you from Mitcham to Beddington Park, the speed was something like 16-18 mph, which was pretty fast for a FNRttC.

If you'd kept that speed up, you would have been in Brighton by 4am, so I guess it must have relaxed a bit!

I'm not sure I was feeling well enough to have continued like that, and if it left you a bit worn out, I'm definitely glad I didn't continue.

« Reply #165 on: 14 March, 2009, 06:20:04 pm »
I am still in bed! My very squeaky cat is keeping me company and nibbling on my toes. I need food, beer and a bath, but I haven't managed to figure out the best order to have them in.

« Reply #166 on: 14 March, 2009, 06:25:46 pm »
That is easy, beer and sandwich whilst in the bath.

Dave

« Reply #167 on: 14 March, 2009, 06:27:06 pm »
That was the least enjoyable ride I've had for a very, very long time. I really don't know why I bother.

The only saving grace was that I managed to get from Brighton to Luton in just over two hours.

« Reply #168 on: 14 March, 2009, 06:40:00 pm »
That was the least enjoyable ride I've had for a very, very long time. I really don't know why I bother.

The only saving grace was that I managed to get from Brighton to Luton in just over two hours.

That's a shame.
Why do you think it was so crap?

« Reply #169 on: 14 March, 2009, 06:43:41 pm »
That is easy, beer and sandwich whilst in the bath.

I think that's what I'll do. I should go and forage now, before I end up eating the poor cat.

« Reply #170 on: 14 March, 2009, 06:46:25 pm »
What a turn out !!

Great fun all round. Hardly noticed the headwind but did notice my legs. I too had perhaps done a little too much before Ditchling so when Matthew, PaulR and I set off long after everyone had gone, and I realised my legs were not quite responding to the signals I was passing them, I was a little concerned that I might actually have to get off and walk (which would be my first time ever). This would have been disastrous given that new bike is about a third lighter than my old one and might have had me questioning the dosh spent on it. Anyhow, going slowly did the trick.

One thing that is unavaoidable on this ride that always amuses me is that we all slog our way up DB, pour out buckets of sweat, and then congregate on the South Down's most exposed point to chat (and slowly freeze).

The murk going down the hill to Brighton wasn't much fun, and this lack of visibility combined with the headwind (I did notice it here) meant that at the speed camera I was doing less than 30. Poor performance. Must do better.

I had been intending to head straight off to the station as soon as we hit Brighton, but we had made such good time that I was able to fill myself with one of the finest plates of breakfast grease I have witnessed in a long time, and still make a train to get me home by 9 in time to take mini-hatler to footy.

A quick doze on the sofa this afternoon and I feel .......

well, knackered.  But happy.  (And the bike was worth it !!)

Thanks Simon, Jurek and all helpers for once again creating a fantastic ride. It's so well marshalled (and I therefore don't have to think about the routing at all) that having done it three times now I still don't think I could do it without being guided.

Looking forward to whichever one I do next immensely. July is likely to be a Ditchling join-up, with all eyes on whether mini-hatler will cycle his own bike up DB. I may have to set him off well ahead of everyone.

Thanks also to everyone for eating all my cake before the final ascent. It lightened my load significantly.

PS  Where was that b*stard with the coffee ?    ;D
Rust never sleeps

Dave

« Reply #171 on: 14 March, 2009, 07:07:05 pm »

That's a shame.
Why do you think it was so crap?

That's really a post for another part of the forum...

No empathy with anyone else on the ride. No sense of humour (nothing new there though). No speed in my legs. Getting annoyed to the point of telling someone to fuck off when they overtook me, because they were last of the very, very many people to overtake me on the drag from the top of Turner's Hill to Lindfield (which is one of the most hateful stretches of road I've ever ridden on).

« Reply #172 on: 14 March, 2009, 07:15:23 pm »

I really struggled on the November Fnrttc to Brighton, this time I delierately rode a more conservative pace, whilst keeping ahead of the lanterne rouge.

Result was my most enjoyable Fnrttc. No real stress and my legs felt fine the whole ride. As I wanted to get home as early as possible, I agreed with Simon that I would by pass the Ditchling layby and had a solitary ascent (one of my easiest I can recall, not that Ditchling is ever that easy), continued on the station and then waited 25 minutes for the London train by which time Charlotte & Liz joined me on the train north.

Had to wait 3 minutes for my connection at Clapham Junction, Brighton to my home in Hampton Hill was 1hr35mins, another win.

I think too many people get caught up in the speed and forget to enjoy the ride.

Chris B

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #173 on: 14 March, 2009, 07:18:08 pm »
I'm going to try and hold the speed down on the FNRttS, partly for the benefit of slower participants but also because we'll finish way too early if we bowl along at 20mph on the flat/18mph moving average (which is entirely possible with a bit of a tailwind).  In theory we need to maintain a 13mph moving average to hit Lahndon at 6am.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Dave

« Reply #174 on: 14 March, 2009, 07:27:44 pm »
I think too many people Dave gets caught up in the speed and forgets to enjoy the ride.

FTFM

(Liz was looking a bit out of sorts at the top of Turner's Hill. I hope she's OK now.)