Author Topic: Mull of Kintyre 600km : Ballachulish - 6th / 7th June 2015 EVENT FULL  (Read 12069 times)

Just to reiterate, ..... etc

Perhaps a new thread to discuss the bigger picture that you allude to?

I support Graeme in his decision and he has shown courage as it is inevitable questions will be asked about ........ etc (new thread appropriate).

Bold decision, but correct decision IMO.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Agreed- me?  I'm just musing.  I'll shut up now :)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Gutted for Graeme and all of you involved.

Horrendous luck.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Better to cancel than have the worst happen to anyone. We have a tendency to underestimate what the weather can do.

A brave choice.

Anyone else still planning to ride it in the week?

I'm more or less set for Monday and Tuesday, train and hostel rebooked. The idea of an entirely unsupported solo 600k is fairly terrifying and it may well be my bridge too far, but I'm determined to give it a go.

I'm a veteran of the West Highlands 1300 last year, so I mostly know what I'm letting myself in for, partly help and hindrance!

Bloody Scotland!

bloody idiot
From the Hillfoots to the hilltops

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Todays MTB downhill events at Fort William have been postponed until tomorrow -

06/06/15
Due to adverse weather conditions, the Downhill World Cup Qualifying rounds have been postponed until tomorrow (Sunday 7 June) to ensure rider safety.

With strong winds and heavy rain on the Aonach Mor course, event organisers have moved the full Downhill competition with training, qualifying and finals taking place in an action packed Sunday.

Aonach Mor by ian, on Flickr

Low pressure at 08.20

Bairn Again

Refunds of £19 per head have been made via PayPal

Excludes anybody who DNSd prior to 1945 on 3rd June 2015. 

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
There are some riders out on this ride today.

Arrived at Tarbert after103 mls of bloody murder into the wind with torrential rain and only the odd dry spell.
[...]
We have to keep on for another 280 mls to qualify for PBP

Best of luck.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Wow. Audacious cyclists indeed. Good luck to them.

But tbh I'm now glad I didn't enter this one.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
-10ºC wind chill and snow tonight up high.  Hope they're OK.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Any news on the intrepid adventurers ?

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
A report elsewhere says 66km to go at 6.30pm

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Wow!, that's impressive.

Dick McTaggart and I rode this event as it was our last chance to get a qualifier for PBP. We rode on my Dolan tandem which performed really well apart from a broken chain at Lochailort and the canary or budgie hiding somewhere inside the frame  (something to do probably with the amount of rain penetration). Hardest audax I have ridden with rain of biblical proportions and wind gusting up to 50 mph. Felt really miserable most of the first 20 hours and retreated to a public toilet in Kilmartin to try (unsuccessfully) to have a kip. Hardest sections were the east side of Kintyre and the part from Corran Ferry to Lochailort. A braw day for wildlife (apart from us) when we came across a wild boar on the drop to Glenuig and a herd of feral goats on a cliff above us after Lochailort. Were inches from colliding with a roe deer and saw red deer later. A dead mole decorated the road at one point and saw a beautiful barn owl as well as hearing lots of hoolits hooting.
Dick suffered with a dreadful attack of cramp in the last 20 mls but struggled heroically on to the finish. Even singing his whole repertoire of golden oldies in that gravelly voice of his couldn't keep it at bay. Probably took about 36 hrs, not bad for a pair of OAPs. It was most definitely the hardest audax I have ever ridden but must stand us in good stead for PBP, surely the weather will be a tad better.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Chapeau.

I have no other words!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Fantastic...I doff my cap.

I kept looking at the weather and it looked horrendous, what an excellent way to qualify for PBP.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
You two are a tough pair of nuts. I'm looking forward to riding with you in the special needs group, if we can keep up!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
Well done guys. Badass!!!  :thumbsup:

Great work guys.  Glad you made it round
@CorbieLinnRider

Blimey.     :thumbsup:

What a story you guys have now.  Superb !  :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Incredible. I am in awe!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."