Author Topic: Mull of Kintyre 600km : Ballachulish - 6th / 7th June 2015 EVENT FULL  (Read 12070 times)

Bairn Again

A new 600 will soon appear on the calendar, the Mull of Kintyre starting from Ballachulish on Saturday 6th June 2015.  This will take in some of the best cycling roads that Scotland has to offer. 

There will be controls with sleep facilities at Oban (370km) and also the event HQ in Ballachulish which is visited during the event at 420km.     

Ballachulish is around 20 miles south of Fort William which has a direct (and scenic) rail service with Glasgow.   

Local accommodation options for the night before and after include -
There is a SYHA hostel https://www.syha.org.uk/ close by in Glencoe

As well as an independent option: http://www.glencoehostel.co.uk/

There are a couple of campsites nearby too

Red Squirrel : http://www.redsquirrelcampsite.co.uk/ 

Invercoe : http://www.invercoe.co.uk/

As well as a plethora of Bed & Breakfasts.

The route is currently being fine tuned but here is the latest (and I suspect near final) version http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5599733 

It’s possible that this will be the only Scottish PBP qualifier next year. 

I will be on the lookout for helpers nearer the time. 

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Re: New PBP qualifier in Scotland : 6th / 7th June 2015
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2014, 12:37:34 pm »
priority will be given to riders whove helped on my events previously.

Yay!! Will there be a helpers ride a couple of weeks before?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »
Looks nice. I take it that riders arriving outside Corran Ferry hours can divert via Fort William. I've never been to the Mull of Kintyre, so it's tempting.

When Heather helped on the Daylight 600, she rode the Corran Ferry to Corran Ferry section. It's a lovely ride, and would make a nice 100km+ day out for helpers.

« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:22:43 pm »
This is a little OT but please bear with me. I'm new to Audax, just done a couple of 200km events this year, but was thinking of SR & PBP next year.

Is it likely that all PBP qualifying events will have restrictions on them such as having to have volunteered to help on other events?
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:26:30 pm »
Is it likely that all PBP qualifying events will have restrictions on them such as having to have volunteered to help on other events?

Absolutely not!

You should easily get on a 600 BRM to qualify.  Might involve some travel (not sure where you are located) but you should be OK.

« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2014, 08:44:53 pm »

Absolutely not!

You should easily get on a 600 BRM to qualify.  Might involve some travel (not sure where you are located) but you should be OK.

Thanks for reply. I'm in NE England but don't want to hijack thread any further.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Wal

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2014, 09:24:04 pm »
Ok, if you put it like that I'll not bother thanks.

heartbroken.

Is this a BRM? I have not assisted on any of your events, so should I bother working towards this and applying based on your selection process?

W.

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2014, 09:36:24 pm »
It's a PBP qualifier, so by definition it will be BRM.

I read Mr ,'s comment about priority for previous helpers as meaning he might offer them priority booking or keep a few places back for them, not that he intended to make the ride available only to them - I fear that it would be a kindness to quietly put one or two of his and Wobbly's toys back in the pram and simply ignore that exchange.

Certainly if the dates suit I won't have any hesitation in sending off an entry despite not having helped on any relevant events.

Re: New 600km PBP qualifier in Scotland : 6th / 7th June 2015
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2014, 06:58:52 pm »
I get the distinct impression there's been a little Hummerification of this thread  :thumbsup:

I shan't be entering, even though it sounds a great ride.

Apart from the considerable travel involved, in order to take part I'd need to book a night before the event and a night after the event in a hotel/B&B and Mrs W would have to book 2 days holiday so she can look after the Wobbly pack of hounds whilst I'm away. I can't expect her to eat into her meagre NHS holiday allocation if, a week or two before the event, I discover I'm taking part.

I wish the participants, helpers and organiser a succesful event.

I'll see you in Paris  ;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2014, 11:23:05 pm »
I have volunteered on a number of audaxes, including a significant shift during the award winning Mille Alba.  From earlier post I assume that this will give me priority entry but will I be able to secure specific beds at sleep stops i.e. do you intend providing a bed layout diagram in advance to allow  bed selection and reservation?  I'm a light sleeper and therefore prefer a single room,

« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2014, 08:38:41 am »
I think that confirmation that MK is to have his own single room will ensure that the event is sold out.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 21 August, 2014, 05:47:05 pm »
I have volunteered on a number of audaxes, including a significant shift during the award winning Mille Alba.  From earlier post I assume that this will give me priority entry but will I be able to secure specific beds at sleep stops i.e. do you intend providing a bed layout diagram in advance to allow  bed selection and reservation?  I'm a light sleeper and therefore prefer a single room,
Sounds a reasonable request.

If the org is too ungrateful to action it, I shall point out that lady AUKs often get their own room on these occasions, so there is an obvious tactic available for you. (I don't know how flexible the NHS is nor of the border.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2014, 10:09:48 pm »
Sounds a reasonable request.

If the org is too ungrateful to action it, I shall point out that lady AUKs often get their own room on these occasions, so there is an obvious tactic available for you. (I don't know how flexible the NHS is nor of the border.)

:)

Bairn Again

« Reply #13 on: 06 September, 2014, 04:13:18 pm »
now in the calendar

Entries open 5th January 2015

« Reply #14 on: 09 September, 2014, 10:56:27 am »
Cool route. Bonnie but lumpy ride down to Campbeltown with fab views of Arran adapting slowly as you progress, if weather permits.
No Ardnamurchan Point? Well it is a hard ride down there too, and the cafe has ltd hours.
May I recommend two controls to enhance the cultural dimension:
  • Dunadd Fort, an essential visit when passing thru Kilmartin Glen - by selfie?
  • the PO at Lochailort, hard to find but an essential experience
Hope to be there, if the body is willing.

Bairn Again

« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2014, 12:51:45 pm »
Ive had a few queries from folk who are worried that the event is full. 

Cool your jets - entries open on 5th January 2015.

I will post some more generic info on the event on the calendar page later in the week. 

NB - THIS EVENT DOES NOT GO TO MULL.  It does however go to Kintyre.   ;)   

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Mull of Kintyre 600km : Ballachulish - 6th / 7th June 2015
« Reply #16 on: 15 December, 2014, 01:59:35 pm »
Too early in the year for a 600k for me. If I can get time off work I'll offer my services as a helper.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #17 on: 15 December, 2014, 03:01:15 pm »
NB - THIS EVENT DOES NOT GO TO MULL.  It does however go to Kintyre.   ;)
But does it go to "of"? After all, "of" is in the title of the event........
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 15 December, 2014, 05:32:16 pm »
The route is currently being fine tuned but here is the latest (and I suspect near final) version http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5599733 

I hope the final version is exactly 600km, as advertised.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bairn Again

« Reply #19 on: 30 December, 2014, 11:10:09 am »
Ahead of entries opening on 5th January Ive posted some additional information about the event on the AUK calendar page.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-3/

Click on the "routesheet" option. 

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
I'm in. No PBP for me this year so am doing a Scottish 600 and Yorkshire 400 as a sort of alternative. Missed the Scottish 1300 last year and looking forward to this.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

No PBP for me either, and I really want to do this.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
I'm looking forward to the helper's ride - it's a cracking route.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Bairn Again

I'm looking forward to the helper's ride - it's a cracking route.
Im looking forward to the culinary delights of The Three Glens Explorer going on tour to Oban!

Bairn Again

Re: Mull of Kintyre 600km : Ballachulish - 6th / 7th June 2015 EVENT FULL
« Reply #24 on: 20 February, 2015, 03:51:44 pm »
No more entries Im afraid, the event is now full up. 

Ive amended the AUK calendar page to prevent any more entries.