Author Topic: Tandem valuation  (Read 2737 times)

Tandem valuation
« on: 16 August, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »
Just looking for a rough valuation on a tandem if anyone would like to offer their opinion.

The spec is a custom built steel Longstaff, full touring brazed, flat bat triple chainset coaster brake as well as cantis. It's in pretty good condition save a bit of wear and a few scuffs/scrapes. It's built for a tall 6ft+ pilot with a medium plus stoker. Rear saddle height adjustable obviously. What would be a fair selling price for such a machine. Vintage is unknown but safe but safe to say arpund 15 years.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Tandem valuation
« Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2014, 06:03:31 pm »
You'd need to be a lot more specific about the bike and components, including wear, and provide some photographs too for anything better than a wild "£100 to £700" stab.

(Those numbers are plucked from the ether).
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2014, 08:57:56 pm »
Well, custom is custom so I can't really say much else about the F&F. No signs of a frame number although I wouldn't expect one on a custom.

Gear shifters are Deore LX integrated with the brakes.
Front mech is 105, rear is Deore
Brake arms, one on front, two on rear are Diacompe, also comes with a coaster brake. Not sure how those things work yet.
Saddles are Viscount, handlebars are Condor
Wheels are handbuilt on hope hubs. Vredstein tyres with a decent amount of bead left on it.
Has an eccentric front bottom bracket although I can't see the make.
Cranks are TA Specialites 180 front, 185 rear.
Rear cassette is 8 speed although I think the shifters will do nine.

There are no visible dents in the frame, just some scuffs and scrapes, none of which seem to go down to the bare metal. Mostly it's a bit dirty from long-term storage and lack of use.
Chain, cassette and chainrings could do with replacing as worn. Likewise needs recabling and new pads.

Anything else I should mention?

Really just looking for a ballpark figure because I don't really know tandems much.

« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2014, 09:57:50 pm »
I'm open to debate, but I think the frame size will determine the value here. That's a massive head tube. I think that limits the value- find someone who wants it and it fits, and the value is greater.
Build from new price - frame only (and that will be George built) probably £2000.
Price to sell now- £600 maybe.

If that head tube could be cut down, it might be more saleable

« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2014, 10:18:22 pm »
Cutting down the head tube wouldn't do a lot for it. The pilot position is for a very tall person. As a 6ft 1 person, I'm probably as short as would reasonably fit on it.

Still, as a ballpark figure £600 is a good starting place.

Thanks

« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2014, 10:25:31 pm »
Agreed that size may be a limiting factor, as may what seems to me a slightly odd choice of components - those cranks seem terribly long (are you sure the stoker's are 185mm?).

More detailed dimensions for seat tubes, reach etc might be interesting, and I think the point about cutting down the head tube is that at the moment it looks like you can't get the bars low enough for anything other than a very upright position. That might just be perspective though.

As a data point, I got a beautiful but enormous Swallow tandem a little while ago on ebay - the frame would probably suit a 6'+ stoker and a 6'4"+ pilot - for £350. My interest was the Campag tandem chainset and the drum brake. The frame's got to be worth £500 to a couple who are tall enough and keen enough, but it's practically worthless to me.

« Reply #6 on: 26 November, 2014, 06:10:00 pm »
Alex Reeves
Charlotte's Tandems
Registered Charity 1148053
CharlottesTandems.co.uk