Author Topic: New SPV!  (Read 3584 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
New SPV!
« on: 26 August, 2014, 03:36:01 pm »
I seem to have bought a new tandem!  ;D

We hadn't ridden the Dawes Horizon for a few years but Mrs PC said she'd fancy trying again so out it came, cobwebs removed and ready to go. However after getting on it was clear she had lost her nerve, maybe I'd dropped her too many times in the past :-(

So, the solution of course is a tandem trike. We drove up to Newcastle on Sunday and returned yesterday with a 1999 Longstaff in excellent condition. Took our first ride this afternoon, just a 3 mile pootle to get used to turning and leaning. Super fun but hard work at the moment!

Pictures to follow...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: New bike!
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2014, 05:09:40 pm »
That's a very bold move. Well done!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2014, 06:19:08 pm »

Stage two was a 4 mile ride into the countryside and back. Much more difficult than round and round our estate, the camber on one road was very difficult to handle, Mrs PC found it very amusing that I was finding it difficult  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2014, 06:28:22 pm »
Ooohshiny!

I had a more successful attempt at the upright trike riding thing this weekend, thanks to arabella.  On a previous attempt at riding one I'd been unable to make it go in the right direction, except when in reverse (it was a fixed wheel trike), which I found completely intuitive.  This time I managed to get it right by virtue of so much faffing about with toe overlap that by the time I'd got my feet in a sensible position, I'd steered around a tree without really thinking about it.

Camber wasn't a particular problem, as I'm used to its effect on recumbent trikes.  It was the feeling of being about to tip over on every corner - and remembering to put the opposite foot down to usual - that took work.  After a great many increasingly fast laps of the Mildenhall parking area, I was starting to get the hang of it, and came to the conclusion that it was this: splendid fun.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »
So, the solution of course is a tandem trike. We drove up to Newcastle on Sunday and returned yesterday with a 1999 Longstaff in excellent condition.

I saw that on t'Bay - it looked very nice indeed.

I had a more successful attempt at the upright trike riding thing this weekend, [...] and came to the conclusion that it was this: splendid fun.   :thumbsup:

Having sat on the back of two or three longbarrows in preparation for this year's Arrow attempt, I concur. My only attempt at steering a solo took me very close to the nearest hedge though.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2014, 07:00:32 pm »
There was also a 1928 fixed one on eBay last week but I thought this one was more appropriate ;-) so I made an offer which was accepted. By coincidence on our way up North we visited Fountains Abbey and met there at the cafe a couple who had arrived on a tandem trike so we had a nice chat about the trials and tribulations of learning to ride all over again.

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2014, 07:53:25 pm »
Cor that looks in pretty fabulous condition.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2014, 09:41:29 pm »
It's a very beautiful velocipede, that's for sure.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2014, 07:51:11 am »
That looks fabulous. I hope it brings much enjoyment.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Pedal Castro

« Reply #9 on: 28 August, 2014, 09:19:56 am »
Third short ride yesterday of 10 miles, first two were only 3 miles each so this represents a big step up!

I am getting better at steering but still getting a certain amount of grief from behind when I cock it up, or create the impression that I may cock it up. Half way into the ride I suggested that she may like to try the captain's seat to get an idea of the difficulties involved. She actually found it really easy! Maybe because she doesn't ride much, and as she says she doesn't steer her solo by leaning but by actually turning the bars.

Also a bit disconcerting was when I rode my solo on this evening's pub ride it was a bit jittery for the first few hundred yards. Maybe I should be permanent stoker?

« Reply #10 on: 28 August, 2014, 09:37:38 am »
Also a bit disconcerting was when I rode my solo on this evening's pub ride it was a bit jittery for the first few hundred yards. Maybe I should be permanent stoker?
That is normal until your brain learns to switch bicycle/tricycle mode more quickly.

Something to think about - I've been riding trikes 45 years.  When I'd only been riding about 7 years I bought a tandem trike, simply because it was available.  The chap I rode with had similar experience to me (so we were both fairly skilled), had the same riding style as me and was the same size as me.  This meant we could swap back and front.  What I noticed on the back was that any side to side movement, like dropping a wheel down a sudden change in camber (or worse - a drain cover), was felt quite violently on the back.  So a bit more awareness and warning was appreciated by whoever was on the back.

« Reply #11 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:35:47 am »
I found a sprung Brooks was useful when I stoked on this year's Arrow, taking the edge off bumps as well as having a bit of side-to-side compliance - I think a trike can throw the stoker sideways a fair bit.

That's about the sum total of my experience though ...

« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2014, 12:21:32 pm »
I had a more successful attempt at the upright trike riding thing this weekend, thanks to arabella.  On a previous attempt at riding one I'd been unable to make it go in the right direction, except when in reverse (it was a fixed wheel trike),
That sounds utterly crazy.

Single wheel drive?

Steering could be, um, interesting, when going downhill.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2014, 12:44:28 pm »
I had a more successful attempt at the upright trike riding thing this weekend, thanks to arabella.  On a previous attempt at riding one I'd been unable to make it go in the right direction, except when in reverse (it was a fixed wheel trike),

Single wheel drive?

Can't remember, tbh, though I would probably have noticed a diff.

Upright deltas are inherently barmy if you ask me, so why not throw a little leg-brake-steer into the mix?

« Reply #14 on: 28 August, 2014, 12:49:33 pm »

Single wheel drive?

I rode one for a year. Yes, it was.

« Reply #15 on: 28 August, 2014, 01:09:55 pm »
Upright deltas are inherently barmy if you ask me, so why not throw a little leg-brake-steer into the mix?
That is where the burn marks on the back of my shorts come from. Although braking with a leg is out of the question, it hurts too much as I know from riding 1960s/70s trikes which were a bit shorter in the chainstay.  The bum braking is just by accident - the perfect day with the perfect corner and my backside is just touching the wheel which in turn is just touching the road, you can just feel the wheel stalling under your backside  ----- absolutely fanbloodytastic.  ;D

Like most of my generation I grew up with single wheel drive.  It is not usually a problem because the left wheel is driven so it compensates for camber to a degree.  Climbing is interesting.  On a steep climb you can get out of the saddle and risk wheel spin, even though you might be positioning your weight to favour the drive wheel; or you can gear down and sit down with your weight well back.  The latter approach means that the front wheel is travelling very light and the offset drive will cause it to drift to the right, so periodically it is necessary to lift the front wheel and put it back where it should be.

I learned to ride on fixed, as an impoverished schoolboy it was the cheapest way.  I used to ride it to school (sixth form) and all my school mates who tried it found it easier to ride backwards.

In 1986, after 18 years of riding single wheel drive, I got my first two wheel drive (not diff) Longstaff and proceeded to forget all the little tricks that you learn to keep a single wheel drive going where you want it to.  Then in 2003 I bought an old single wheel drive which was sharp reminder.  I currently have three two wheel drives and one single wheel drive.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 28 August, 2014, 04:54:44 pm »
Shouldn't this thread be titled 'New trike!'?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 28 August, 2014, 06:43:37 pm »
Depends on how fast you go round the corner...   ;D

Pedal Castro

« Reply #18 on: 30 August, 2014, 05:43:39 pm »
Some great tips folks, thanks!

Today we did 25 miles, which is probably the most Mrs PC has ridden in a great many years, she is now a little sore!

It is beginning to become more natural, tomorrow's ride back on a solo may be interesting though :-)

321up

• 59° N
Re: New SPV!
« Reply #19 on: 02 September, 2014, 09:59:12 am »
Fantastic  :thumbsup:  I'd love one but C. is not convinced and we don't have the ££££.  Have fun.