Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 290021 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Still not too bad here, like the bridge is open
https://www.tayroadbridge.co.uk/

Although does look like the Sidlaws are sheltering
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=56.328;-3.200;10&l=gust

I also seem to be just a bit too in land for the Red warning so only an Orange, a paltry 102kmh here and already had to adjust the bins so they're in shelter. Although that shelter is a panel fence so...

100mph winds forecast for the dugs nase (St Andrews, Fifeness and the East Neuck)  :o

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
And yet only a couple of miles out West, the wind only got up to a couple of gusts and has now died right back.
A few branches to pick up from the driveway, but that's about all.

A mere yellow warning for us in the west. It's still rather breezy, but forecast to die down within the next few hours.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
It's been an hour since the last communiqué from the Igloo.  Should we be worried?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
I've run out of juice and sweets, the nearest spar is 400m in a northwards direction, the next nearest 600m in an eastward direction.

I may just have another attempt at oat milk chocolate...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's been an hour since the last communiqué from the Igloo.  Should we be worried?

The raptor fences aren't out, are they?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
It's all gone a bit quiet here in my outskirts of Furrybootoon, but the local FB page Fubar News is showing lots of photos of trees down over local roads.

There are some power outages around the area, but not biblical in size.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Ooh its suddenly got quite noisy here, think I'll have some moozic to go with my chocolate and book.

Bit breezy here , The club Roof in Prudhoe is now in the carpark , well it could do with a make over .
Its More Fun With Three .

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
We ain'tnt dead yet!

It's been about 15 minutes since the last time I thought the living room window was going to be blown in  :thumbsup:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Sitting drinking hot chocolate, eating chocolate biscuits and reading Huxley while listening to late 90s and early 2000s club classics is normal right?

Much excitement: the gritter is wearing a special cover tonight, presumably to stop the grit blowing everywhere.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
More importantly, what's its name? And was the cover Sunblest or Mother's Pride?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
It went really quiet for about 10 mins and then got up again. It's getting better. I'm sure there will be pics of sad fences in the morning.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

More importantly, what's its name? And was the cover Sunblest or Mother's Pride?

Alas, they seem to send the anonymous ones round this route. :(

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Starting to feel like a normal storm now.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small

Alas, they seem to send the anonymous ones round this route. :(
Aww boo

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Starting to feel like a normal storm now.
Windy Wilson's Screenshots and crayons show its tracking down the east coast now

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Scenes of devastation

IMG_9220_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_9223_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_9224_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_9225_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_9226_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Which one is yours? (Or is Scottish law different, down here the deeds usually specify who owns the boundaries).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Judging by the title sheet all of them are shared. That's 3 different neighbours to deal with, lol. Could have been worse, according to the plan we adjoin 6 different gardens!
The lady on the left had already arranged for her nephew to come and fix those ones so we lifted them and moved them as they were squishing our shrubs. The person with the single panel in our garden at the end of the rhs was out there this morning but I hadn't had my breakfast by that point and she was gone when I went out. We put that one in the pile with the others.
The orange one there was no signs of neighbours when we were out, it looked bloody big and heavy and not easy to move and it wasn't in our garden so I left it.
Seems to be someone doing something with it now so I sent Pingu to investigate as I am under a pile of sleeping cats. He's just come in and said neighbour has claimed it as their fence (they built it, might explain why some of the posts appeared to be only decorative haha) so we'll just let them take responsibility.

Weirdly though the same fence which runs between 2 of the neighbouring gardens and has been leaning at a jaunty angle ever since we moved is unchanged.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Great way to get to know your neighbours, if you didn't already.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Indeed! I got more chat out of Maureen than I have previously and she appreciated us moving the panels and giving her bird boxes back, and Pingu's now met 1 set on the other side....

ian

When we moved to the Asbestos Palace we did engage in a weekend of bramble removal around the borders of our new kingdom (I'm really not clear why we thought that was a good idea in early December). A week or two later, on the eve of Christmas, the wind did blow and it turned out that the only thing holding up the fences was those brambles. We sort of knew this and had anticipated a new fence, but still, all 22 panels disintegrated in one evening. The new fence is held in with more concrete than the Hoover Dam.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
In the Great Storm of 1990, during a lull I popped back home to find fence panels everywhere. I collected them up and piled blocks on top, then went back to work.

In the cafe in the offices we were in there was a curved glass corner. Standing there the rain was streaming horizontally on both sides of the corner. It felt like The Titanic, but with coffee.

The power was off in our road for five days. That was fun.
It is simpler than it looks.