Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 290018 times)

It’s snowing here now - and starting to settle.

Wo wohnen Sie?  Jetzt traume ich von Weihnachtsmarkten, mit Schnee, Stollen und Mandeln!  (and also of umlauts but I don't know how to do them on this keyboard!).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
I’m in the north west of Germany near Düsseldorf and visited a Weihnachtsmarkt the weekend before last. Had a lovely fresh Waffel there, yummy.

äüßö
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
It's been snowing in my grate frend Jeff's back garden, but then he’s in Vancouver OR.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

I’m in the north west of Germany near Düsseldorf and visited a Weihnachtsmarkt the weekend before last. Had a lovely fresh Waffel there, yummy.

äüßö

Schmeckt!  Years ago, I had to collect an ausweis, oder etwas, from an official building in Dusseldorf.  Apparently it had been Gestapo HQ.  I remember it had paternoster lifts.

Just a bit chilly today.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
White stuff is falling from the sky.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We have had the first proper frost of the winter. I can’t tell precisely what the minimum was because, since last Sunday’s power cut the weather station console has stopped talking to the raspberry pie.  I don’t have the knowledge to fix it unless turning them off and on again cures it, which it hasn’t.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Sprinklings of snow in Edinburgh and the surrounding area

Bright & sunny in Liverpool.  Currently 5°C outside on my 4th floor balcony.  I don't think it got down to freezing overnight, but nearby cars & roofs are looking a bit white.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
We have had the first proper frost of the winter. I can’t tell precisely what the minimum was because, since last Sunday’s power cut the weather station console has stopped talking to the raspberry pie.  I don’t have the knowledge to fix it unless turning them off and on again cures it, which it hasn’t.
It was -2C here in Woodbridge last night, so I can’t image it was any colder in saarfen’ give that you is a bit further south and somewhat closer to the see.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Less than -4 in London last night, so expectations may have been mispalced

Just a bit chilly today.
How do you get your car started in those temperatures!?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

Block heaters.

Temperature here is plummeting like the proverbial stone.
At the current rate I can see the batteries in the sensor failing (can you see what I did there?).

Tog rating on the duvet here has been upgraded by 3.5 a short while ago.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
The fog never cleared at all today.
Our cleaner on arrival this morning, 
"That was a difficult journey, the sun was blinding me all the way."
Mrs B and I look out of the window.    ???
"Welcome to Llandysmal."
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
The fog never cleared at all today.
Our cleaner on arrival this morning, 
"That was a difficult journey, the sun was blinding me all the way."
Mrs B and I look out of the window.    ???
"Welcome to Llandysmal."

Paul Simon?

Just a bit chilly today.
How do you get your car started in those temperatures!?

I just press the starter. It's a little sluggish, but otherwise good. I haven't gotten a blockheater installed yet as it's a bit of a pain, but unless I'm planning to leave the car out for more than 24 hours, it shouldn't really be an issue.
 I have however learned that having a heated steering wheel is now a must.

Basil

• Help me!
The little weather gizmo on my phone said -7 when I got up this morning.

Which prompts me to ask
Where does it get the information from?

Would it be the nearest meteorological station?   Which in my case would be Aberporth.  By the sea and not at all like the Teifi Valley.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.

Which prompts me to ask

Would it be the nearest meteorological station?   Which in my case would be Aberporth.  By the sea and not at all like the Teifi Valley.

According to the Met Office there are three automatic reporting stations in the area, of which one is Aberporth. The other two are inland, one at Saron, one at Whitechurch.

Basil

• Help me!

Which prompts me to ask

According to the Met Office there are three automatic reporting stations in the area, of which one is Aberporth. The other two are inland, one at Saron, one at Whitechurch.

Ah, thanks Tim.   Probably Saron then

ian

I just press the starter. It's a little sluggish, but otherwise good. I haven't gotten a blockheater installed yet as it's a bit of a pain, but unless I'm planning to leave the car out for more than 24 hours, it shouldn't really be an issue.
 I have however learned that having a heated steering wheel is now a must.

Must be those fancy modern cars, even my Subaru needed a block heater, otherwise it wouldn't start below -10. Then again, it was a Subaru.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Good illustration of the urban heat island yesterday. Frosty when I left home at dark o'clock in Bristol, but nothing more than frosty. Then from the train window as it got light and we got out into the countryside, proper ice visible, ever more so as we got onto the Levels. Even Cornwall was cold (but not frosty).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Back when I lived on a barge, and needed to motor to get water, I had a starting problem. Big diesel, very cold weather (it was cold back then, children) = =  flat battery. No way of charging said battery either.

It was a raw-water cooled engine (water pumped from river round the engine block). I added a bit of plumbing so that the barge hot water (gas heater) could be routed around the engine. Two min of running that filled the engine jacket with water at about 70C, warming it up nicely. Started instantly.

This amazed all other boat owners, who struggled with starting in winter.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

There is white stuff falling from the sky in Liverpool.  I can't see it sticking though.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark