Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 289945 times)

-6 in Slough this morning 🥶
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Currently -10 here this morning.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

A mere -1 - and it is raining. buggerit, I wanted snow!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

-1.5 out on my balcony this morning,  although the sensor is in a fairly sheltered place.  It will be colder at ground level.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
BBC reckons it’s about -3.  In spite of turning the thermostat down to 13 overnight I think the heating has been running most of the night :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Outside thermometer showing a positive number  :o

-8 here this morning, inside the kitchen it was 6.8.

Remember the happy days of 5 months ago when we were sitting in front of all the fans we could lay our hands on, watching the country catching fire and hoping that tomorrows forecast would be for the low 30s C

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Warmest day of the week so far here - it was a balmy -2 this morning.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Everything is melting in the sun at the moment. It'll probably go all icy later though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

-8 during the night there, a balmy -1 degrees at the moment. Heating is riding the thermostat, heating the house from 13 degrees (I don't think it ever gets below that) back to reasonability is several hours of the heating at full blast and I can't be arsed being cold while I wait for it.

Everything is melting in the sun at the moment. It'll probably go all icy later though.

Same. Now up to a whopping +1! :o

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I took the opportunity to clear the car of snow and dig a clear path off the drive while it was melty, being as it's an office day tomorrow.
(I was hoping it was going to snow more so I could say I wasn't coming in but never mind).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Bristol's city docks have frozen over! Oh no, this means thousands of tons of Christmas tat can't unload because... oh, okay, no commercial shipping gets up the river anyway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tangentially weather related, but it shows just how long it’s been since a bout of decent winter weather. I shopped on Weds, and put my veg purchases - courgettes, onions, aubergines, peppers - in the top of the veg rack. Said rack resides in the boiler cupboard, with the boiler and the incoming water main. This is outside our back door in a run of storage perpendicular to said door. The back of it is our neighbours kitchen wall. Today, I got a message from my wife to say a bottle of her elderflower presse in the cupboard had frozen and burst the bottle. And when I got home I found the veg frozen, quite literally, solid. We would normally have covered them with an old blanket, but hadn’t bothered. Mind you, we hadn’t had the -10C we got forecast either, followed by -8 last night!  Still, at least my Gewürztraminer isn’t frozen! 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
the boiler cupboard, with the boiler and the incoming water main.
[...]
a bottle of her elderflower presse in the cupboard had frozen and burst the bottle. And when I got home I found the veg frozen, quite literally, solid.

Shouldn't there be a frost stat in there to prevent something more disastrous from freezing?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
-12 at 8:30 here this morning. Dunno what it hit overnight.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Just stuck my snout out the bathroom windie and observed that the so-called “thaw” seems to have had little effect on for e.g. the surface of Larrington Gardens Road or the roof of the Sheds.  You have twenty-four hours, weather, or else there’ll be trub.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Same here. I tried chiselling some icy bits off the path I'd sort of cleared betwixt garage and bird feeding area but only some of it moved.

Whereas we are back to typical Somerset winter weather. Rain.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

I find it extraordinary that yesterday some adults thought it was ok to take their kids onto the ice on a frozen pond on Wimbledon Common  :facepalm:

the boiler cupboard, with the boiler and the incoming water main.
[...]
a bottle of her elderflower presse in the cupboard had frozen and burst the bottle. And when I got home I found the veg frozen, quite literally, solid.

Shouldn't there be a frost stat in there to prevent something more disastrous from freezing?

There is thankfully!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I find it extraordinary that yesterday some adults thought it was ok to take their kids onto frozen pond on Wimbledon Common  :facepalm:

I came across three yoof the other day - one of them lying on the ground in an undignified position, having clearly just slipped - contemplating whether the ice on the canal was strong enough to support a person.  I muttered something to the effect of no it bloody isn't.

It's been hovering around zero for a week.  Some of the more shaded ice is now thick enough to support geese, but that's about it.  And the Babbs Mill[1] incident is all over the news.  I can only assume they were too young to remember what proper winter looks like.

Seriously, this is BRITAIN, country of mediocrity.  I wouldn't trust any ice.

[1] Which, I'll wager is a degree or two colder than central Birmingham.

I find it extraordinary that yesterday some adults thought it was ok to take their kids onto frozen pond on Wimbledon Common  :facepalm:

I came across three yoof the other day - one of them lying on the ground in an undignified position, having clearly just slipped - contemplating whether the ice on the canal was strong enough to support a person.  I muttered something to the effect of no it bloody isn't.

It's been hovering around zero for a week.  Some of the more shaded ice is now thick enough to support geese, but that's about it.  And the Babbs Mill[1] incident is all over the news.  I can only assume they were too young to remember what proper winter looks like.

Seriously, this is BRITAIN, country of mediocrity.  I wouldn't trust any ice.

[1] Which, I'll wager is a degree or two colder than central Birmingham.
That bloke on the left is filming what is potentially a snuff movie starring (presumably) his partner and two offspring.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Should be useful at the inquest...

(And what happened to basic due diligence?  That ice doesn't even look like anyone's thrown rocks at it...)

I was cycling along the canal towpath a couple of days ago.  Some of the canal was frozen, other bits weren't.  On the other side of the canal there was a bloke with two kids and a small dog.  The bloke was lowering the dog onto the surface of the ice and watching it scrabble around - much to the delight of the kids.  I hope the dog survived - not too bothered about the rest of them.