Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 291991 times)

Wet, breezy. Lots of recycling in boxes put out by people unaware that holiday collection will be a day later. When the wind gets up..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Trains & buses cancelled, roads closed, trees down and loads of drowned cars out there it appears.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
M25 fucking horrendous just now though only due in part to the weather.  3 hours from Fort Larrington to Chingford B&Q, wot is about 70 miles.  Took 1h 40 to get down there in the sunshine on Saturday.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

M25 fucking horrendous just now though only due in part to the weather.  3 hours from Fort Larrington to Chingford B&Q, wot is about 70 miles.  Took 1h 40 to get down there in the sunshine on Saturday.
That's not a journey I'd fancy at the best of times.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
And I'm going to the rural campus of Larrington Colij Oxfod for New Year. M11-M25-M40.  Deep joy.

Flooding again in the village.
Has the winter really got worse with all these storms or did we just call it winter? 
I know when roads get blocked with a car or lorry it is very difficult to get past in the snow but we used to drive in those conditions all the time. I have done the A9 multiple times in the snow in the winter. Never had these sorts of problems. Only time we did not drive was when the gates were already shut.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Cars in Ye Olden Days had fewer horsepowers and skinnier tyres.

Are modern cars less tolerant of snow and ice?

Three cars I have driven in snow are
Renaults, 4 and 5, very good, light weight cars.

The Renault 4 was amazing. A rear wheel skid was the worst - it started a pendulum action, quite difficult to break out of.  The 5 was equally competent.

The third was a mk 2 golf gti. Very competent even in quite thick snow. In severe weather I drove it from York to Inverness when my father was taken ill. Luckily we were almost the only car on the road most of the way. We were stopped once by a Vauxhall cavalier and helped the cops dig it out of our way(rear wheel drive- it was not going anywhere).

I wouldn’t do any of that now -
1: there no snow
2: too much traffic
3: tried it in Yaris, it was hopeless.

None of these cars had power steering.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Having a hefty engine over the driven wheels helps, though I wouldn’t recommend a 911 unless you're the late Björn Waldegård.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Brings back memories of being picked up from *that* Xmas party and Pingu helping to dig out the wheels of my Dad's RWD Cavalier which he eventually reversed all the way out of the hotel car park
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Very wet & windy last night, with thunder & lightning on occasion.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Went for lunch at an Indian place down the road. Got drenched on the way back. Streams several inches deep running down the gutters. Lunch was tasty but overpriced.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Trains & buses cancelled, roads closed,
   stop all the clocks.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

Brings back memories of being picked up from *that* Xmas party and Pingu helping to dig out the wheels of my Dad's RWD Cavalier which he eventually reversed all the way out of the hotel car park

My neighbours had a Buick the size of a small aircraft carrier. Snow would scramble to get out of its way. It didn’t so much as go up hills as flatten them for its convenience.

When driving home from a job interview in Colchester my way was blocked by a lorry stuck in quite deep snow. By chance I managed to find someone with a tractor and asked if he would help. He looked at me and said “how do you know I won’t get stuck?” I replied that I did not.  Whereupon he drove over, fixed a tow rope and hooked the lorry out of the drift very quickly easily.  I went on my way and eventually reached a drift as high as the bonnet. I had to leave the car there and walk home over the fields, having with me the right clothing.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Went for lunch at an Indian place down the road. Got drenched on the way back. Streams several inches deep running down the gutters. Lunch was tasty but overpriced.
It must be the monsoon season in Mumbai.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Driving back into York yesterday, encountered unforecast hazardous driving conditions. Torrential rain driven by very strong gusts and even flashes of lightning. The road was flooding rapidly. A few hours before making the journey I had checked the forecast and no such weather was expected.

My wife’s gravedigger has said he has never known such flooded cemeteries in 30 years. One churchyard has been unable to have a burial since October and does not expect  to be able to do one for another month due to the high water table. Because baling water out of the hole before, during and after burial of ashes is not acceptable.

My wife’s gravedigger has said he has never known such flooded cemeteries in 30 years. One churchyard has been unable to have a burial since October and does. OT expect one for another month due to the high water table. Because JV water before during and after even burial of ashes is not acceptable.

???
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
That's very sad to hear.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I was thinking, the defining thing for me weather-wise in 2023, apart from Summer not really happening, was the difficulty of forecasting with any kind of accuracy.  "There may or may not be heavy showers" isn't much use for anything.

I was thinking, the defining thing for me weather-wise in 2023, apart from Summer not really happening, was the difficulty of forecasting with any kind of accuracy.  "There may or may not be heavy showers" isn't much use for anything.

Yep, I think the micro-forecasting we see nowadays is a laudable but totally flawed effort. The (rain) forecast seems to change every couple of hours, presumably as the radar maps are updated but they can lull one into a false sense of security.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

When I enter the name of our village in the Met Office website, we get the forecast for the next village, which may be only 5 miles away, but is 500ft lower down.
They have rain. We have snow.
Add on another 600 - 900 if I want to actually travel anywhere interesting.
We just get used to adjusting for altitude - and looking out of the window...

2023 is going to be the hottest year on record, topping off the ten warmest years in recorded history, all of which have occurred in the last decade.   

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/24002605.york-labour-environment-councillors-looks-ahead-2024/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
We had a sharp drop (3°C) drop in temperature between 2 and 3am, and a pretty heavy shower (>5mm).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.