Author Topic: Trike for Two  (Read 3909 times)

Trike for Two
« on: 27 January, 2015, 12:03:05 am »
Between being away at sea and working on my final destination,  (due in four days), I’ve not been very active on the forum for a while (or active on my bike) :(
However I’ve got to get online to post that Mrs B has just bought this ;D

https://tandem-club.org.uk/files/public_html/_forsale.htm

I’m away to sea again in a couple of days so it is going to be a little while before I can take the long trip to the South Coast to collect but I can’t wait.
I’m away a lot this year but will hopefully be home in the UK and off work around the time of the Tandem Club National rally and the CTC York rally so I hope to have the trike in action for those events.

I bet it destroys front tyres!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Trike for Two
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:06:50 am »

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:31:29 am »
Grrrrr....

Enjoy :)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:54:43 pm »
I can only see upwrong trikes on the link page or am I doing something wrong  :P
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:04:36 pm »
Certainly looks very nice. Enjoy it.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:10:46 pm »
I can only see upwrong trikes on the link page or am I doing something wrong  :P

The listing has presumably been removed now that it's sold...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:36:36 pm »

The listing has presumably been removed now that it's sold...

Was it the one I linked to yesterday?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:40:06 pm »
Was it the one I linked to yesterday?

The very same.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2015, 03:27:10 pm »

Regulars barrows, to coin a phrase, seem to end up in here too, presumably for lack of anywhere else to store them.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2015, 04:02:54 pm »
Yet I see only tandems, no trikes at all. :smug:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 27 January, 2015, 04:51:49 pm »

Regulars barrows, to coin a phrase, seem to end up in here too, presumably for lack of anywhere else to store them.

Same sort of 'beard, sandals and just a little bit of insanity' mentality required to ride the bloody things, innit.

« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2015, 05:10:04 pm »
Same sort of 'beard, sandals and just a little bit of insanity' mentality required to ride the bloody things, innit.
Not at all.  I know of no tricyclist who fits the sandals and beard stereotype of what would be called "old skool" riders.  True, in the 1970s an inordinate number of tricyclists wore beards, and this was the subject of a Helms cartoon.  Up until the 1980s it used to be reckoned that trikies were the real hard men of cycling and rode (upright) trikes because bikes were simply too easy.  These things have been forgotten, and I find that many club riders (let alone the public) cannot find tricycle in their vocabularies and call it a tandem instead.  You also get club riders asking if you also ride solos, to which of course I have to reply that since it has one seat it is a piggin solo!!!!!!!!  Pedantic?  Misery guts?  What, me?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2015, 09:50:03 pm »
There is a theory which states that Noel Knox of Houghton Wheelers was the protoype for Biffa Bacon's Da ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2015, 10:56:49 am »
Of course I clicked along too late to see the advert, but there are plenty of fun-looking photos on the Tandem Club site to see, and a picture of a lady aboard an Ice Sprint appeared almost as soon as I started looking at them.

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2015, 01:37:43 pm »
That Could have been Mrs B.
She has done a few Tamdem Club rallies on her old Sprint (saddly we no longer have it), although it might not have been her as she ain't the only one.

« Reply #15 on: 05 March, 2015, 07:41:35 pm »
Finally picked up the tandem trike a couple of days ago, first decent ride was today, a 26 mile loop for lunch at Kirkley Cycles.
Overall we are exceedingly happy with it. The only real problems are the brakes which feel terrible and the SRAM 3 speed cassette/hub gear.

The hub gear will only work in bottom, so even on the 48t ring and 11t sprocket we were spinning out at 18mph. The brakes are very early Hope hydraulics. I’m not familiar with them at all but hopefully a bleed and set of pads is all that’s required.

Today’s ride will be my last on it for a while as tomorrow I’ll set it up for Mrs B with our daughter as stoker. I’ve also got a Heinsmann motor wheel on the way which will replace the faulty hub gear and give Wife and Daughter longer legs.   

IMAG0158 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:12:51 pm »
So that was from Liz and Ken yes?

Dismantling the 3 speed hub for cleaning and fettling isn't too tricky, but it sounds more like a cable tension problem. With the cable disconnected it should jump into top.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #17 on: 05 March, 2015, 08:26:41 pm »
Hi Tim,

Yes it was from Liz & Ken. Although I recognise them (and their Roberts tandem) from club rallies I don’t think we had ever spoken before I visited them to collect the trike.

I’ll take a look at the hub gear tomorrow (although Mrs B wants me to have gardening day), I’m sure with the cable slack it is in bottom but I may be mistaken.