Author Topic: Ride 24  (Read 1892 times)

Ride 24
« on: 24 February, 2015, 10:16:54 am »
Has anyone ever done any of these?

I've just entered the Newcastle to London one (305 miles in 24 hours) it scares me a little bit but I'm doing it for charity so hope that will keep me going through the night. I like the idea of it being a 'big event' thing, there should be quite a few other people around in the middle of the night, but it seems all a bit daunting just now!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Ride 24
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2015, 11:16:00 pm »
I was a leader on the first London-Paris one. A while ago now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2015, 09:53:48 am »
I did my first night ride earlier this week with a group. At first I was completely daunted by the whole riding at night aspect and being left behind in the dark! But I found it utterly exhilarating, and it felt far safer than I'd expected.

« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2015, 12:18:39 pm »
I have done a 400 and 600k before....

The 400k is obviously more similar as you just keep going but it's obviously a fair old chunk less than 300 miles so I'm pretty daunted by this.

I'm severely out of endurance practice but did manage 133 miles yesterday and 35 today without any problems. Doing a 200k next sat and an 80 mile sportive sun to have a big weekend then I have a 300k at the end of March. Will start to put some bigger miles in from now I guess. Also plan on a 400 and 600k in May so that should really help.

I am on holiday for 2 weeks end of July/early Aug which also worries me as I can't take my bike! Hopefully will be able to hire one for a few short rides but I definitely won't be allowed to spend the holiday riding for hours!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2015, 05:50:22 pm »
I did my first night ride earlier this week with a group. At first I was completely daunted by the whole riding at night aspect and being left behind in the dark! But I found it utterly exhilarating, and it felt far safer than I'd expected.
Which group would that be? I ask because, as jsabine has pointed out, of the four posts you have made since signing up, the other three are links to commercial entities, to wit: a book, a tour, and a waterpoof case. I'm intrigued that there is no link in this post to a commercial entity. I only ask....
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2015, 01:15:59 pm »
I did the Newcastle to London a couple of years ago when it rained the ENTIRE way down. It's hard and at times quite lonely and desolate especially when going through the night period around 1am to 4am. Things I recommend doing. Pace yourself between the 7 stops. Eat well, good proper food is provided at every stop so don't eat gels or anything like that if you can. Drink a lot. Get into a good group that you can roll along with. :)