Author Topic: [HAMR] 29th March - Day 88  (Read 29455 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: 29th March - Day 88
« Reply #200 on: 30 March, 2015, 10:36:44 am »
I'd be very careful about speculating with regards to the moped rider.

Indeed.

There may only be two people who know what happened and neither of them have posted on this, or any other, thread.

At the moment all any of us, not directly involved with the logistics of sorting out Steve and his bikes location and treatment, can do is to wish him the very best treatment possible and not endlessly navel-gaze as to what Steve might do next.  He has smart people around him that are much better informed of the situation than any of us - let them and Steve have a few days to take stock and consider the options for the future.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #201 on: 30 March, 2015, 10:37:52 am »
You can be the best/safest cyclist in the world, but if you meet the worst driver/moped rider.....!

Speedy recovery, Steve.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #202 on: 30 March, 2015, 10:44:31 am »
So, so very sorry to hear of Steve's 'spill'.

Logging onto this site each day to catch up on his achievements was better than any TV soap could ever be.

just hoping that something positive might emerge from all the gloom at the moment.

But as others have already said,  Get well soon mate.

« Reply #203 on: 30 March, 2015, 10:45:35 am »

Indeed.

There may only be two people who know what happened and neither of them have posted on this, or any other, thread.

At the moment all any of us, not directly involved with the logistics of sorting out Steve and his bikes location and treatment, can do is to wish him the very best treatment possible and not endlessly navel-gaze as to what Steve might do next.  He has smart people around him that are much better informed of the situation than any of us - let them and Steve have a few days to take stock and consider the options for the future.

+1

We don't know anything about how the collision happened so lets lay off the finger pointing and wish Steve well.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #204 on: 30 March, 2015, 11:03:05 am »

Indeed.

+1

We don't know anything about how the collision happened so lets lay off the finger pointing and wish Steve well.

True.  "Was hit by a moped" implies only that he was somehow or other in the path of a moped.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #205 on: 30 March, 2015, 11:09:19 am »
Unless you count he comment by Hoppo, apparently in contact if not on the scene, that "Steve was ridden into by a moped not paying attention to what they were doing"

crazy diamond

• remember when you were young, you shone.....
« Reply #206 on: 30 March, 2015, 11:33:12 am »
Absolutely gutted for you, Steve. 
Seems so unlucky, having just about got through winter, to have this happen when the weather might be expected to start improving.
Hope the ankle gets sorted quickly, I'm sure you'll heal well and then consider the options.
Get well soon.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #207 on: 30 March, 2015, 12:09:28 pm »
so sorry to hear these unfortunate news Steve.. we were just talking about your legendary determination and achievements with Shu P on the Dean300 (day befoe yesterday) and admired your ability to touch and inspire so many cyclists, to show what's possible when you are fully commited to it. heal well and soon, these past three months is a great foundation and reference point for your future dreams. best wishes Steve.

« Reply #208 on: 30 March, 2015, 12:40:19 pm »
I am completely gutted and can only try to imagine how Steve is feeling.

I don't know any details of the accident other than it involved a moped but I do know that if two cars collided and one drivers solicitor knew the other driver only had 4 hours sleep the previous night they would make a big thing of that if it went to court regardless of any real relevance to the incident.

LMT

« Reply #209 on: 30 March, 2015, 01:02:09 pm »
I hope the moped rider is okay.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #210 on: 30 March, 2015, 01:35:24 pm »
I also hope that Steve obtained his/her identification and vehicle details. Otherwise he/she might have ridden off and beyond trace. Then any possible claims by Steve/Team would come to nought. I am sure the Team will notify when they have sorted Steve's immediate crisis.

Rumour is he will be driven home to MK soon with decisions pending.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

LMT

« Reply #211 on: 30 March, 2015, 01:53:28 pm »
I also hope that Steve obtained his/her identification and vehicle details. Otherwise he/she might have ridden off and beyond trace. Then any possible claims by Steve/Team would come to nought. I am sure the Team will notify when they have sorted Steve's immediate crisis.

You'd hope, it is a legal requirement after all given the circumstances of the incident.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #212 on: 30 March, 2015, 02:04:19 pm »

That's what the MIB is for.
It is simpler than it looks.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #213 on: 30 March, 2015, 02:07:53 pm »
Get the bones sorted Steve , there is always another year.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #214 on: 30 March, 2015, 02:28:07 pm »
That's what the MIB is for.

What, this lot?

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #215 on: 30 March, 2015, 02:54:53 pm »
Get the bones sorted Steve , there is always another year.

Johnny Logan.  ;)

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #216 on: 30 March, 2015, 03:48:27 pm »

Indeed.

But one of them has posted here.

Steve thanks everyone for their support so far. He was hit from behind by a suspected drunk moped rider and has a broken ankle. He has assessment appointments over the next few days. After these we shall be able to decide the best way forward with the One Year Time Trial. Expect to hear more from us by Friday.
  (My emphasis)

This makes me very angry.

« Reply #217 on: 30 March, 2015, 03:57:55 pm »
I hope the police were involved

« Reply #218 on: 30 March, 2015, 04:01:39 pm »
For what it's worth, the tweet (30mins ago) actually now says motorcyclist, not moped rider. Might imply a bit more momentum.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #219 on: 30 March, 2015, 04:02:43 pm »
yep - but they did also want to know why Steve left the site of an accident -- Hoppo and Ian sorted that through a long series of phone calls etc while Steve was asleep at Ian's house  - I think police spoke to Steve this morning.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #220 on: 30 March, 2015, 05:19:42 pm »
yep - but they did also want to know why Steve left the site of an accident

Good grief.

Knowing the extreme unfairness of the police and our legal system towards cyclists, they'll probably charge Steve and not even forward the (possible) case of causing injury by careless driving to the CPS. :(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

red marley

« Reply #221 on: 30 March, 2015, 05:38:35 pm »
The fact that he had live satellite tracking of his whereabouts and had at least 16,000 people following his location, heartbeat and speed down to the minute gives a fairly convincing argument that he wasn't trying to sneak away. ;)

« Reply #222 on: 30 March, 2015, 05:42:10 pm »
I fear common sense like that doesn't always hold any sway where the legal system is concerned, Jo.

http://road.cc/content/news/146438-texting-van-driver-cleared-responsibility-death-18-year-old-cyclist

:( ??? >:(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #223 on: 30 March, 2015, 05:48:30 pm »
Well, if something like that happens there's a fair bit of crowd noise that is likely to be whipped up!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #224 on: 30 March, 2015, 05:55:19 pm »
But they'd just be cyclists.