Author Topic: Wilkins produce  (Read 1533 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Wilkins produce
« on: 03 September, 2015, 04:34:03 pm »
When I was at the camp site in Edinburgh recently, I sat down to dinner with two ladies from Belgium and a family from Switzerland. The Swiss had a product I had never seen before, and have been looking for in the shops.

http://www.tiptree.com/goto.php?sess=+A5B504C525851+F1D421317445C5F1D1D58+E+C57+9+95C564A5C4B591B125214+543&id=484&ret=product_list.php?cat=5&menu=products&image=1

Has anyone tried this vile substance?  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Wilkins produce
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:35:22 pm »
What substance? Every time the link loads it's a different product.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:52:16 pm »
Banoffee spread? Might be ok, in a disgusting kind of way.

Bobb and I went to the Wilkins of Tiptree museum a few years ago. It was ace. They had a trophy cabinet filled with trophies for having shiny trucks.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:59:48 pm »
Banoffee spread indeed. Waitrose has a lot of teh Wilkins range, but I have never seen banoffee spread.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2015, 05:06:59 am »
Banofee spread is a lovely mix of dulce de leche with banana goodness. Once tried you will find the whole pot ends up on your toast. In a Pancake it may be one of the finest things ever invented. Or in porridge for an authentic scottish food experience.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

ian

« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2015, 10:11:40 am »
I'm sure there's a restaurant somewhere in the South Downs that claims to have invented the banoffee pie (Google says The Hungry Monk in Jevington, so my memory doesn't lie, there's a plaque on the building). The inventor sounds like he might be of the Scotch inclination though.

I'd eat it with a spoon on principle.

Really, I can't have stuff like in the house. I'd just eat it all. That Belgian speculoos spread, while sounding like a medical sample, oh my, they semi-liquified biscuits and made them spoonable. This is the kind of science shit they should be doing at CERN with chocolate Hobnobs rather than chasing bosons or whatever. Who's wants boson spread? Not I. Bose-Einstein condensate ice cream might be alright.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2015, 10:40:05 am »
I'm sure there's a restaurant somewhere in the South Downs that claims to have invented the banoffee pie (Google says The Hungry Monk in Jevington, so my memory doesn't lie, there's a plaque on the building). The inventor sounds like he might be of the Scotch inclination though.

I'd eat it with a spoon on principle.

Really, I can't have stuff like in the house. I'd just eat it all. That Belgian speculoos spread, while sounding like a medical sample, oh my, they semi-liquified biscuits and made them spoonable. This is the kind of science shit they should be doing at CERN with chocolate Hobnobs rather than chasing bosons or whatever. Who's wants boson spread? Not I. Bose-Einstein condensate ice cream might be alright.

The biscuit spread comes in smooth, crunchy and now in nuggets. Its so bloody amazing.

I have had banoffee spread from another source (can't remember where) but remember it being too sweet even for me!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2015, 11:26:29 am »
I was introduced to this addictive crunchy madness by them Tiermats.

http://www.lotusbiscuits.co.uk/lotus-products/spreads/

Mmmmm.
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 04 September, 2015, 11:58:23 am »
That's the stuff, speculoos spread. Or in the US, Cookie Butter.

« Reply #9 on: 04 September, 2015, 05:10:41 pm »
Banofee spread sounds very good. I can't buy the Lotus stuff, because I just eat it all at once. :-[

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 04 September, 2015, 05:22:56 pm »
Banofee spread is a lovely mix of dulce de leche with banana goodness. Once tried you will find the whole pot ends up on your toast. In a Pancake it may be one of the finest things ever invented. Or in porridge for an authentic scottish food experience.
Essex, surely? Not far from the famous Marks Tey IIRC.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 04 September, 2015, 06:55:35 pm »
Indeed. Tiptree. There are also some Tiptree outposts in tea rooms dotted about the county. A couple of years ago the old Writtle College tea room became a Wilkins tea room, and that must be about 20 miles from Tiptree. I think there is another, but I am struggling to remember where it is.

Edit: Maldon, apparently.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 05 September, 2015, 09:20:06 pm »
I think I looked up Tesco Banoffee spread not that long ago and posted about it here.
ICnBA to search for it thobut.