Author Topic: Would you rewire this?  (Read 3577 times)

Re: Would you rewire this?
« Reply #25 on: 12 March, 2016, 12:30:09 pm »
Electrical safety is really about fire prevention, since an improperly tightened connection, or an overloaded circuit, gets very hot.

Has anyone wiggled their meter tails recently?  No, I didn't think so.  Meter man was almost as alarmed as I was when it came away in his hand.

Yup.   As has my sparks...    :thumbsup:

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #26 on: 14 March, 2016, 02:43:11 pm »
Has anyone wiggled their meter tails recently?  No, I didn't think so.  Meter man was almost as alarmed as I was when it came away in his hand.

No, but I was most surprised to find a low voltage feed coming out of my fuse box recently, to power the butlers bell. The electrician must have removed the transformer that used to be in the cupboard, when the fuse box was replaced. 10 years ago. That's what happens if you "tidy up" the cupboard under the stairs, you notice things.

Keep digging, you might find the butler.

He must be dug in pretty deeply because I cleared out the cupboard to make space for some new plumbing and there was no sign of him.  Still, if he ever does poke his head out he'll be pleased to see that the coal bunker has gone and the new boiler doesn't need fuel shovelling in and the grate polishing every morning.

It's getting harder to find good staff these days.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #27 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:48:23 am »
That was my thinking! Wiring and fittings in some French places we have stayed have been 'interesting'!

We have put a dud bulb in one luminaire we wish to keep unlit to prevent fingerpoken.

Current(!) French electrical standards are very high indeed.  Mind-bogglingly strict.. The wiring in my barn conversion is being done by a professional and I am not allowed to use British cabling (as opposed to flex) anywhere because it is not up to EDF standards..

Old French properties are indeed often dangerous like old UK ones and many an insurance 'job' has found this feature useful.   

With a bit of ingenuity any old electrical lamp can have an earth wire added.  A useful site for accessories is:

http://www.peterwilletts.co.uk/

elcome to our website
We sell period lighting in a variety of styles, but mainly French items from the late 19th and early 20th century. All are genuine period pieces - where noted, new shades have been fitted to replace those lost or damaged. These can be changed to suit your requirements.
Move Faster and Bake Things