Linked Events

• Derbyshire Pie Run XII: 16 July, 2016

Author Topic: Derbyshire Pie Run XII: 16 July 2016  (Read 10627 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Derbyshire Pie Run XII: 16 July 2016
« on: 22 May, 2016, 01:10:29 pm »
What it is.

11 years of Pork Pie from here has not dulled my appetite for this leisurely annual ride and the fact that someone always comes with me suggests that I'm not alone. (Except when I sneak off on my own in between times, when I am alone. But, frankly, a year is too long to wait between pies that are this good.)

Last year's westward first half went down well, so there will be more of the same this year. The final route is here. 38-ish miles at a leisurely pace.

Now, not many of those miles are flat, and some of them are downright hilly. Note the linked map above, which has a profile facility. I am bringing loads of gears.

Some of the lanes are narrow, and have a loose gravel centre strip. My 32mm tyres might have been overkill last week, but I think 23 might not be quite enough millimetres.

We'll meet at/from 10am outside the main (west) entrance of Derby train station and set off at 10:30 (late arrivals allowing)

This is primarily a social ride. If you can ride 40 miles up and down, you can do this ride. And the pies and the company are (I think) worth it.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Re: Derbyshire Pie Run XII
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:21:13 am »
Oh my....having seen the picture of meaty crusty goodness on last years thread I'm very much up for this.....

As this would be my first time, would that make it a cherry pie?

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:34:38 am »
A ride that I've always wanted to do and never managed to make it.   I'm thinking that Paul is holding out on turning up at Long itch until i manage to do a Pie Run.    ;D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2016, 03:42:24 pm »
I've always wanted to do this from way back when but have been thwarted with various things - this year I shall be on holiday until 15 July ... so if it's 16 July that MAY be possible ... if not can you do mail order for pies please??  ;D

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2016, 06:49:49 pm »
I could be tempted, but probably only on the later weekend.

Paul

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2016, 11:00:00 pm »
It's starting to look as though 16 July is the better bet.

As this would be my first time, would that make it a cherry pie?

They have a strawberry tartlet. :smug:

A ride that I've always wanted to do and never managed to make it.   I'm thinking that Paul is holding out on turning up at Long itch until i manage to do a Pie Run.    ;D

Not at all. I offer the Pie Run unconditionally: everyone is welcome. :thumbsup:

I've always wanted to do this from way back when but have been thwarted with various things - this year I shall be on holiday until 15 July ... so if it's 16 July that MAY be possible ... if not can you do mail order for pies please??  ;D

Rob

16th is looking do-able. I'm afraid the pies don't make it out of Derbyshire unless they are in a stomach. :demon:

I could be tempted, but probably only on the later weekend.

See above.

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:05:57 pm »
the 16th is in my diary. Is this still a fixed wheel ride?

« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:24:39 pm »
I'm interested.
We'll be otherwise engaged 9/10 July, but haven't yet sorted out diaries for the following weekend. I won't even try to guess the outcome.

« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:37:23 pm »
Paul may correct me, but I don't think he's used that transmission on a pie run. It's not compulsory, but if you enjoy riding fixed in the Derbyshire undulations  ;) you're unlikely to the only one. I'm hopeful that I won't need to resort to the invalid carriage.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2016, 11:48:46 pm »
Even the pies aren't actually compulsory.  Jury's still out on the cycling bit.

robgul

« Reply #10 on: 25 May, 2016, 07:49:14 am »
Paul may correct me, but I don't think he's used that transmission on a pie run. It's not compulsory, but if you enjoy riding fixed in the Derbyshire undulations  ;) you're unlikely to the only one. I'm hopeful that I won't need to resort to the invalid carriage.

The fixed wheel rides go way back to when Frenchie (Herve) was a member on here ... not the same as the Pie Run.  Those on the first fixed ride may recollect the mass-dismount we all had when cresting a rise in the road, with the sun behind us, to face a large patch of ice on the shaded side of the hill ... and IIRC Gordy also a past member from here was a rider a couple of times.

Rob

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2016, 10:59:34 am »
16th or 17th works for me. :thumbsup:  I'll ask the other Chris if he fancies a pint too.

The fixed wheel rides go way back to when Frenchie (Herve) was a member on here ... not the same as the Pie Run.  Those on the first fixed ride may recollect the mass-dismount we all had when cresting a rise in the road, with the sun behind us, to face a large patch of ice on the shaded side of the hill ... and IIRC Gordy also a past member from here was a rider a couple of times.

Rob

2007 or 2008, I think.  7/11 riders down on a patch of ice in Widmerpool, IIRC.

« Reply #12 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:21:13 pm »
16th or 17th works for me. :thumbsup:  I'll ask the other Chris if he fancies a pint too.

Rob

28-Jan-2006 according to my records. It was Widmerpool, where those of us at the back had time to stop before the black ice, having seen the carnage at the front.

Since this is pie run XII, primus erat MMIV  ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #13 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:48:08 pm »
If definitely 16th July I shall sadly have to give it a miss as I have other shenanigans planned (no, not the DunRun).  :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

robgul

« Reply #14 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:13:58 pm »

Rob

28-Jan-2006 according to my records. It was Widmerpool, where those of us at the back had time to stop before the black ice, having seen the carnage at the front.

What time was that on 28 January 2006 please Nick?  ;D ;D

Rob

« Reply #15 on: 25 May, 2016, 11:11:34 pm »

Rob

Rob
Nescio. Non scriptus est. ;)

« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2016, 11:16:14 pm »
Diaries have been compared, agreed  :) & updated. I'm free on 16th & 17th.

robgul

« Reply #17 on: 26 May, 2016, 12:44:25 pm »

Rob

Rob
Nescio. Non scriptus est. ;)

That's a "Dunno" then . . .  ;)

Rob

Paul

« Reply #18 on: 26 May, 2016, 01:25:07 pm »
I've updated the OP. Date will be 16 July.

As others have said, this is not specifically a fixed gear ride. We've had fixies, 'bents, mtbs and tandems in the past.

Jury's still out on the cycling bit.

I don't know. You take one shortcut and you're branded for ever :-[

However it's a fair point: the pie run is a flexible ride.

Rob

Carnage is right. I was far enough back to see the front runners go down, but not so far back that I had time to take evasive action. I imagine that it probably looked comical.

2005, because the first DPR was number 1, not 0.

If definitely 16th July I shall sadly have to give it a miss as I have other shenanigans planned (no, not the DunRun).  :(

Curses. Yet again.

Tell me, how are you fixed for next year?

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #19 on: 26 May, 2016, 03:16:35 pm »

Curses. Yet again.

Morning or afternoon?

robgul

« Reply #20 on: 26 May, 2016, 03:31:25 pm »

Curses. Yet again.

Morning or afternoon?

Ah, the old Russian joke : Bloke orders a car, delivery is on a date 3 years hence, he asks the salesman what time ... the salesman says : It's 3 years time, why do you need to know? - buyer says : The plumber is coming in the afternoon.

IGMC

Rob

Andrij

• Андрій
Re: Derbyshire Pie Run XII: 16 July 2016
« Reply #21 on: 26 May, 2016, 03:39:32 pm »
Pleez, iz no joke, but Soviet fakt of life! 

We now return you to 2016...

« Reply #22 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:46:51 pm »
Interested  +1

Paul

« Reply #23 on: 17 June, 2016, 11:00:41 pm »
This:

http://picasaweb.google.com/woollypigs/DerbyshirePieRunIII200506/photo?authkey=_oQBe-kPMSE#5066810054980046978

is what things looked like 10 years ago.

:) and  :'(

(edited to clarify that the  :'( is for alan ('alans' in Woolly's brilliant pics) who is so unfairly no longer with us)

(further editing to say that I've just realised that Suzy was about 3 months pregnant with Louis when these pics were taken  ;D)

Paul

« Reply #24 on: 19 June, 2016, 05:02:22 pm »
I've updated the route in the OP. It would be lovely to see as many of you as can make it.

P.