Author Topic: Zefal Floor Pump pressure problem  (Read 1422 times)

Zefal Floor Pump pressure problem
« on: 12 August, 2016, 01:05:12 pm »
I have had a Zefal floor pump for a few years now, and it has recently developed a problem that if you press hard, it locks up and contains the pressure in the pump. If you pump slowly it works to pump the tyres.

My lbs has had it back and taken it apart but cannot find a problem.  Has anyone had similar experience and is there a cure?

Cheers,

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Zefal Floor Pump pressure problem
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2016, 01:25:53 pm »
I wonder if the problem is actually in the pump.
Are you sure your inner tubes don't have 'sticky' valves?

I suggest you wiggle the valve cores around in their stems to free them.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2016, 01:42:48 pm »
Give Presta valves a quick press before attaching the pump head.   That usually unsticks them.

The pump itself is bound to be alright if your LBS mechanic is alright.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2016, 11:46:44 pm »
Yes, definitely a valve problem. I always let some air air out after unscrewing them. If I don't I get your exact problem.

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2016, 01:09:13 pm »
I've encountered the same problem with a few pumps on Presta valves, & a small air release from the valve, or not quite screwing the valve all the way out, or pushing the pump head further on, clears it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »
Thanks for all your answers, But it is not the fault of  (any) of the tyres that I have pumped up. It even occurs when I don't have it attached to anything.

I took the bottom of the pump apart, and I think now that it is the valve that must be in the bottom of the cylinder.

Cheers.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2016, 04:28:17 pm »
Contact Zefal direct, I'm very sure they run a lifetime guarantee.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2016, 05:44:19 pm »
 :'( No, Only2 year Guarantee, but I have contacted them anyway. Second time I think, because I contacted them with no reply before I put it to the forum.

« Reply #8 on: 30 August, 2016, 09:23:49 am »
 :D :D :D Success:
Dear Sir,

It will be possible to replace the seat valve inside the main barrel.
Please let me know your mail address, I will send you a new seat valve with repairing instructions.

Best regards

They did ask for a photo of the unit with the defective area located. So one photo,nicely framed with my bicycle in the background,  and a same day reply.

I'll need the repairing instructions as I can't see how to get at that bit of the pump. I hope it doesn't need special tools.

Cheers, another sunny day in paradise.