Author Topic: Group riding etiquette  (Read 12449 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Group riding etiquette
« Reply #100 on: 06 October, 2016, 07:09:18 pm »
but the OP wasn't drafting
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #101 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:14:44 am »
Isn't all that's been said moot though?
Surely seeing that the highway code says you should assume a cycle + rider is as wide as a car then that's how much room should be given?  I don't believe there's a get-out clause if the overtaker is also on a bike.
Or did I miss something?
True - but do you anticipate a rider ever getting prosecuted for such a transgression?

If not, then your point is moot too! :)

Alternatively, you need to get out there and stop cyclists that know each-other cycling "dangerously" close together. To be consistent, I mean. I imagine you'll see dozens of offenders on every audax (or other organised ride).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #102 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:49:06 am »
Alternatively, you need to get out there and stop cyclists that know each-other cycling "dangerously" close together.

I believe there was a case sometime back where a rider attempted to prosecute a fellow ride over an incident when they were riding to minimise the effects of wind.  The judge threw the case out as he considered they were riding too close and that was not responsible riding.  Good decision!  (And yes, I do like drafting and very happy at riding what might be called "dangerously" close to preserve my energy and get a tow).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #103 on: 09 October, 2016, 05:08:53 pm »
Got passed at speed by a peloton today whilst I was somewhat leisuely on the M5.  I upped my pace afterwards to about 35kmh and they still puled away from pretty quickly.

They passed me perfectly though, plenty of room, a few friendly hellos and off they went.  Cambridge club by the looks of it
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #104 on: 09 October, 2016, 05:10:59 pm »
Got passed at speed by a peloton today whilst I was somewhat leisuely on the M5.  I upped my pace afterwards to about 35kmh and they still puled away from pretty quickly.

They passed me perfectly though, plenty of room, a few friendly hellos and off they went.  Cambridge club by the looks of it
I thought riding on a motorway was illegal? Oh, I get it.