Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1764883 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #2250 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:24:11 pm »
Well, that's the problem.  There are pubs close-ish, about a 15 minute bike ride, the best bet is probably The Rodney a little way up.  North Hill (the Little Baddow version as opposed to the Colchester version).  The site is beautifully quiet, but a little remote.  I can't think of other camping options round here.  There will be B&B options but I don't know much about them.

Re lunch, we are at the bottom of North Hill (Colchester) so don't worry about a lung busting ascent.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2251 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:26:16 pm »
The good news:-

North Hill in Colchester is not "The Mighty North Hill"

The bad news:-

Retreat Farm is but a stone's throw from "The Mighty North Hill" (Little Baddow/Danbury).

As to nearby pubs, the nearest are probably The Rodney on North Hill itself, or a couple of places in Woodham Walter in the opposite direction (The Bell and the Queen Victoria).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2252 on: 04 October, 2011, 10:01:17 pm »
Good beer most important you guys choose a pub we'll find a B&B/hotel/hostel nearby, a short rode is no problem.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2253 on: 04 October, 2011, 10:07:11 pm »
The Cricketers is a Shepherd Neame pub in Danbury, which is at the top of North Hill.

The Hurdlemakers, at Woodham Mortimer, does good beer.

The Bell, in Woodham Walter, is pricey.

I'm not sure about The Rodney or the General's Arms.

I'm going to do my best to attend this mallarkey.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2254 on: 04 October, 2011, 10:11:13 pm »
The Rodney's beer is good as far as I remember.  ISTR they have an eponymous "house brew" (I think this is one of the Nethergate? brews they do for several of the local pubs).

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2255 on: 04 October, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »
Losing access STOP This ferry is up and down like a whore's drawers STOP Not much sleep tonight then STOP Pick a pub we'll see you there STOP

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2256 on: 05 October, 2011, 08:07:15 am »
Landed at 06:30, absorbed breakfast in a hotel in Harwich surrounded by Scots riggers necking lager (at 07:30 yeesh). About to take route 51 towards Colchester and lunch. Anyone got any idea where we are going this evening?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2257 on: 05 October, 2011, 08:08:23 am »
I guess current consensus is The Rodney, which is here.

If you're camping at OD's suggested site, then Retreat farm is about a mile and a half away.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2258 on: 05 October, 2011, 08:59:50 am »
Landed at 06:30, absorbed breakfast in a hotel in Harwich surrounded by Scots riggers necking lager (at 07:30 yeesh). About to take route 51 towards Colchester and lunch. Anyone got any idea where we are going this evening?
I'm lunching in Col too, going to a free piano concert at Lion Walk church at 1pm if you're interested. I may collect my lunch from Feast on the way up the hill. Wave if you see a recumbent tricyclst!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2259 on: 05 October, 2011, 09:14:06 am »
What time is everyone convening at The Rodney?

We have Aunt Phyllis coming for tea today so I'm planning to get a train to Wickford, probably about 7.32, which arrives in Wickford at 7.51. I reckon I ought to get to the pub for 9 p.m.

The last train home form Wickford leaves at 1.31! I'm intending to cycle home.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2260 on: 05 October, 2011, 12:23:29 pm »
I think I will probably be good for a departure around 7:30 from Witham.  Since the Rodney is already halfa little way up The Mighty North Hill, it would be rude for me not to carry on up to the top at least one time once I get there.  I should certainly be in the pub before 9 though.  Probably more like 8:30 ish?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2261 on: 05 October, 2011, 12:36:38 pm »
I'm hoping to put in a brief appearence. I can't stay long cos I've got big stuff to do tomorrow which require a degree of bushy tailedness.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2262 on: 05 October, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »
As we are planning to be not too far from home for refuelling/refreshment drinks my 'you-can-see-me' town front light whilst closely following Oaky and/or OD will be sufficient, probably.  I also have OD's kind offer of a loan light for the night so all fears of darkness should be dispelled  :)

Oaky, I'm assuming some circuitous route to NH with one or multiple assents once there.  Usual 7:30pm departure from the J&J?
Unless OD wishes to meet or suggest something different for the passing of light?!?
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2263 on: 05 October, 2011, 01:41:18 pm »
7:30 J+J sounds good.

Since OD is turning up, I guess he may be using his Hope tonight.  I can dig out one of those Tesco Cree LED torches (the same as on my helmet) if you want to have additional see-by light.  I may even be able to find an unused light mount to cabletie it to, but in any case you're welcome to tuck in behind me so you'll be fine with just a Bobby-dodger front seen-by light TBH.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2264 on: 05 October, 2011, 01:44:13 pm »
We are in Colchester being fed and watered at a delightful little place called Feast, delayed by a puncture on the way from Wivenhoe.
We'll see you at the Rodney, not sure of our eta, depends on how many more punctures we get! Probably be there from 8ish.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2265 on: 05 October, 2011, 02:14:53 pm »
There is talk of three of us from chez Wowbagger turning up en voiture.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2266 on: 05 October, 2011, 02:29:03 pm »
For logistical and time reasons me un The Current Mrs R will be driving to The Rodney for a quickie (pint) with you all.

I have filled Clare and Vern with lunch and launched them off down NCN Route 1.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2267 on: 05 October, 2011, 02:57:44 pm »

Err.... does that include the extensive off-road section that we did on the California run?  ;D

And does it include the ostensibly on-road (but unsuitable for anymotor vehicles) stretch of Pennsylvania avenue?

How many spare tubes were they carrying when you left them?

« Reply #2268 on: 05 October, 2011, 03:01:14 pm »
I was in The Rodney a couple of weeks ago, the Chelmer pile in there about twice a year (Boxing Day ride and hill climb competition in September). I had a decent golden ale but don't recall what it was exactly.

I'd come along but I'm waiting in this evening for collection of my guitar amp which I recently sold.

Looks a bit windy out there, and then there's North Hill to contend with - welcome to Essex!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2269 on: 05 October, 2011, 03:08:03 pm »
I'd come along but I'm perming my back hair.

Haven't seen you in ages Mr. 'mak.  How the devil are you?

Hopefully now that the evening TT season has drawn to a close we'll be seeing you (hotpants optional) at some of our soirées again!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2270 on: 05 October, 2011, 03:15:50 pm »
I can dig out one of those Tesco Cree LED torches (the same as on my helmet) if you want to have additional see-by light.  I may even be able to find an unused light mount to cabletie it to, but in any case you're welcome to tuck in behind me so you'll be fine with just a Bobby-dodger front seen-by light TBH.

I have bodged a Tesco Cree onto a bracket from a ShiteLightTM if you need it.  i checked on the bars of my road bike, and whilst it won't clamp around the really wide part right next to the stem, but would fit round the normal "oversized" section past the taper.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2271 on: 05 October, 2011, 03:17:26 pm »

Err.... does that include the extensive off-road section that we did on the California run?  ;D

And does it include the ostensibly on-road (but unsuitable for anymotor vehicles) stretch of Pennsylvania avenue?

How many spare tubes were they carrying when you left them?

;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2272 on: 05 October, 2011, 03:27:06 pm »
I can dig out one of those Tesco Cree LED torches (the same as on my helmet) if you want to have additional see-by light.  I may even be able to find an unused light mount to cabletie it to, but in any case you're welcome to tuck in behind me so you'll be fine with just a Bobby-dodger front seen-by light TBH.

I have bodged a Tesco Cree onto a bracket from a ShiteLightTM if you need it.  i checked on the bars of my road bike, and whilst it won't clamp around the really wide part right next to the stem, but would fit round the normal "oversized" section past the taper.

Thanks, at least it will make me a more obvious target to hit from the front  :D
Some fettling required at the J&J then.....I'll bring a small selection of cable ties just incase too  :thumbsup:

OD, thanks for the offer of your light, but as Oaky has clearly been spending his WFH time on a solution for me too I don't think I'll need to inconvenience your evening by stopping by and interrupting dinner :)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2273 on: 05 October, 2011, 03:38:50 pm »
...now that the evening TT season has drawn to a close...

You must be joking - Hainault 2up 25 mile TTT this weekend, ECCA Hill Climb (twice up North Hill combined time) next weekend, and finally the traditional season closer - the ECCA 3up 24 mile TTT on the 23rd. Then we have a week off before going on the club winter tour in the Welsh hills. Then winter training starts ;)

I'd come along but I'm perming my back hair.
I've got to do something - it's getting out of control.

[edit] oops, I missed your 'evening' qualification  :-[ - yeah, they were on Thursdays and finished a while ago, although I'd not been taking part anyway in an effort to save my legs for open events at the weekends. Wednesday is usually a turbo training night, but I will definitely try and join you for a beer in the not too distant future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2274 on: 06 October, 2011, 12:17:02 am »
Excellent evening involving Clare, Vern, Oaky, Huggy, Dez & yours truly. An assortment of beers and nuts. Now eating Maasdam and buttered biscuits.