Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1761020 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3000 on: 25 April, 2012, 01:13:01 pm »
I think I might take a little spin up TMNH and then if the North Hill pigs are enjoying the mud.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3001 on: 25 April, 2012, 04:43:30 pm »
It'll be a quick spin in the rain here, too. Did a stonking 30 mile ride yesterday  - lovely evening!

Witham Westerley on Sunday :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3002 on: 25 April, 2012, 06:41:34 pm »
Not going out tonight.  Stuff has conspired against me.  Bugger

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3003 on: 27 April, 2012, 04:55:30 pm »
If you fancy a 400k DIY in June starting and finishing in mid-Essex you might want to CLICKY

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3004 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:55:05 pm »
Ok, I've been off the bike long enough, anyone about this Wednesday/Thursday for a spin?
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3005 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:56:39 pm »
Ok, I've been off the bike long enough, anyone about this Wednesday/Thursday for a spin?

Not this week I'm afraid.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3006 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:18:35 pm »
Book Club on Weds, but I am going out for a pre-ECCA Festival lung-busting training session with the Flitchbikes Massive on Thursday, so could meet up somewhere....

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3007 on: 01 May, 2012, 10:56:10 am »
...Thursday, so could meet up somewhere....
How about a tentative plan for a refreshment stop at The Comapasses?  Not sure what your timing would be like to be in Littley Green, maybe 8:30 to 9??

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3008 on: 01 May, 2012, 07:41:04 pm »
Super - yes, We'll aim for about 9pm at the Compasses on Thursday, might need life-jackets, snorkels etc!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3009 on: 01 May, 2012, 08:42:00 pm »
I'll pack my water wings and not use a route that goes near any fords  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3010 on: 02 May, 2012, 08:49:19 am »
Thanks to a lastminute.com decision I rode home from London last night, the first time by myself ... 3.5 hours!  There was a massive flood at the T-junction just outside Blackmore which I couldn't avoid.  Water upto my bottom bracket and very wet feet as I had to paddle.  So, yes, take lifesaving and swimming gear!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3011 on: 03 May, 2012, 04:45:23 pm »
Looks like just being wet under wheel1 this evening, anyone else for The Compasses @9pm?

1 Where roads still have an identity complex and are pretending to be rivers & lakes

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3012 on: 03 May, 2012, 06:00:17 pm »
David Kerry & I are still on, though DK probably won't stop! Got to take in a few fords! [Via footbridges, of course ;D]

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3013 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:56:44 am »
A most eventful MENWNS ride to The Compasses, as predicted there was no precipitation but there was quite a bit of water under wheel, up & over bottom bracket and up to hubs  :o
Feet got a little soggy and Claud no doubt didn't appreciate the flood waters but the thought of meeting Tomsk for a pint (or three) drove me on to Littley Green!  A short photo story....no pics of actually going through  18"+ deep puddles as I find it difficult to swim and take photos at the same time  ::-)
One regret for the evening was that the road to TMNH was shut, probably due to Papermill Lock being flooded - I didn't go to investigate but feel cheated out of an ascent.
My route is here for those interested in avoiding flooding in the future.

Little Braxted

A very tame shallow puddle just after the river bridge in Little Braxted

Entrance to Nounsley Ford I had to go have a look didn't I??

Nounsley Ford footbridge under water  I turned round!

Sportsmans Lane A landrover driver came past as I was assessing the situation and agreed I should be ok on the footbridge.

Sportsmans Lane footbridge

Sportsmans Lane footbridge Flowing a bit quick to try riding through  :hand:

There were a few of these - this one at Fuller Street

What these pics don't show are the over-the-hubs standing water (an extension to the River Ter) in Littley Green Road which I decided was too deep to ride through when I was half way through but had to keep going, couldn't very well turn back could I.....? I did get a curious look from a car driver rescuing his mate from the water where he had clearly failed to negotiate the standing water - at least my electrics didn't short out  :P

Beer report - 3 pints of Wibbler's Apprentice enjoyed whilst shoes emptied some of their contents on Joss's floor  :facepalm:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3014 on: 04 May, 2012, 10:09:53 am »
Hope you give your hubs/bottom bracket some love this weekend. Deep water shagged my bottom bracket last year.

I bet Joss was impressed.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3015 on: 04 May, 2012, 10:25:20 am »
Good effort!  Are Ribble Cycles still doing special offers on Shimano hubs and bottom brackets?  I'd check if I were you  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3016 on: 04 May, 2012, 04:58:51 pm »
All moving parts oiled for now pending deep clean on Monday and maybe change chainset over to triple  ::-)
Tyres & inner tubes off of rims and drying due to water ingress through the spoke & valve holes I'm guessing!  That's only the 2nd time the front and first time the rear tyre have been off the rims since new ~1000 miles ago, so that's them guarenteed never to be the same again  :-\

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3017 on: 14 May, 2012, 08:54:54 pm »
Wednesday is looking a bit unlikely this week, as I'll be out until mid evening, but I could ride on Thursday.....

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3018 on: 14 May, 2012, 10:15:40 pm »
Wednesday is looking a bit unlikely this week, as I'll be out until mid evening, but I could ride on Thursday.....

As it happens, I will be in the UK on Thursday owing to it being a public holiday in the Netherlands...

Where shall we go?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #3019 on: 15 May, 2012, 07:22:39 am »
Thanks to a lastminute.com decision I rode home from London last night, the first time by myself ... 3.5 hours!  There was a massive flood at the T-junction just outside Blackmore which I couldn't avoid.  Water upto my bottom bracket and very wet feet as I had to paddle.  So, yes, take lifesaving and swimming gear!

Did witham to London (Bridge station) in just over 2:30 hours and wasn't even trying...........It was sunday morning and I took the most direct route of 40 miles (Then did a 50 mile charity ride with people from work)
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #3020 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:06:21 am »
Can't do Thursday. I'm probably doing 100km London - Witham tomorrow via Finchingfield again if anyone fancies.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3021 on: 15 May, 2012, 10:10:05 am »
Can't do Thursday. I'm probably doing 100km London - Witham tomorrow via Finchingfield again if anyone fancies.

I'm probably going to do London to Witham by my more direct route with no pub stop though I might have a bag of chips.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3022 on: 15 May, 2012, 11:12:55 am »

As it happens, I will be in the UK on Thursday owing to it being a public holiday in the Netherlands...

Where shall we go?
Subject to sign-off I could be available for Thursday, but only for riding & beer, not for other activities such as swimming or wading.
Sounds like a possible resurrection of 19:30 departure from the former pub known as the Jack & Jenny.

« Reply #3023 on: 15 May, 2012, 11:56:38 am »

I'm probably going to do London to Witham by my more direct route with no pub stop though I might have a bag of chips.

Is that the Blackmore/Writtle route ???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3024 on: 15 May, 2012, 11:57:45 am »

Is that the Blackmore/Writtle route ???

Yes, we can meet in the usual place if you fancy it.