Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2190488 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #4600 on: 22 November, 2011, 06:16:40 pm »
Re-proofed five (count 'em) jackets using Nikwax's double whammy product.

The excitement in this house knows no bounds.

Bring on the rain.

« Reply #4601 on: 22 November, 2011, 06:21:46 pm »
Tried and failed to upgrade the graphics card in Mlle PB's pc.  I think that's is too new   :(

« Reply #4602 on: 22 November, 2011, 10:43:31 pm »

Bring on the rain.

2011/12, driest winter on record.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #4603 on: 22 November, 2011, 11:06:13 pm »
I haz fettled my scribbly notes into something I can actually hand in tomorrow for my OU assignment. I had all bar one question done before tonight so was mostly just copying into neat, shouldn't take long I thought  :facepalm:

It has taken ages but it's done now so I can sleep finally.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4604 on: 23 November, 2011, 09:32:19 am »
The Kitchen.

Re-arranged an Expidit shelf so the it sits upright rather than lengthways. All so we could fit the turbo trainer and a bike in the kitchen.

« Reply #4605 on: 23 November, 2011, 10:00:34 am »
Fixed the central heating - we noticed on Sunday when some family came around that it didn't come on when manually pushed (so far we've managed without, it's been a nice mild autumn though I am now wearing long sleeves working at home during the day). The programmable timer/thermostat appeared to be working, but actually the batteries were very low so it would show the clock etc. but not have enough power to turn on relays to start things happening.

This is one of those cases of watch the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves. Saving pennies by not replacing the controller batteries was saving me pounds on the gas bill. Guess that'll change now  :(

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4606 on: 23 November, 2011, 10:43:17 am »
I've fettled rear brakes & mudgaurd on the Cannondale to obviate rubbing of both against tyre wall resulting from Saturday's broken rear axle which occurred under extreme stress whilst standing on predals going uphill.Twas a mighty twang & unelegant dismount ::-)

« Reply #4607 on: 23 November, 2011, 11:17:25 am »

Bring on the rain.

2011/12, driest winter on record.

The steps I took yesterday will probably ensure that it stays that way.

« Reply #4608 on: 23 November, 2011, 07:25:02 pm »
Just put a new set of pots in the Strat , am now off to swap bars and bar tape on the Holdsworth!   Oh! and put a new back tyre on. Busy busy

« Reply #4609 on: 23 November, 2011, 08:09:28 pm »
New head set, stem and front mech for the TuffTrax and lengthened all the 'bar to first stop outers so that I can experiment with different front ends.

Torn between a Spa Ti Tourer and a slihghtly modded Tuffty at 1400 quid less. Really. If the Ti were more than a lb or so lighter I'd probably be more decisive.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #4610 on: 23 November, 2011, 11:30:58 pm »
Pumped up the tyres on the Claud Butler 'dog walking bike' from 15 to 70 PSI. I had been wondering why the bike was handling like a big heavy slug, I thought it was just me  :facepalm:

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #4611 on: 24 November, 2011, 12:19:27 am »
I made a couple of improved versions of my Brompton Saddle bag design today.  Much better to use then my first one but possibly still a bit more development needed.

At the weekend Arch did a bit of chain cleaning following the Sheldon Brown Chain Cleaning Method.

;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4612 on: 24 November, 2011, 12:28:58 am »
Never mind that, that's a really good bolt on the right there.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #4613 on: 24 November, 2011, 08:28:17 am »
Never mind that, that's a really good bolt on the right there.
It's an M24 bolt IIRC.  I have a bag full of them, with nuts and washers, that I found at the scrap metal yard. :thumbsup:

« Reply #4614 on: 24 November, 2011, 09:03:33 am »
At the weekend Arch did a bit of chain cleaning following the Sheldon Brown Chain Cleaning Method.

;)

I hope that you remembered to match-mark it before disassembly - Sheldon is a bit gash in that respect.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4615 on: 24 November, 2011, 09:47:33 am »

;)

only luuuurve would justify doing that
 Arch is a  O:-)

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #4616 on: 24 November, 2011, 10:43:05 am »
I cleaned each of the cogs of a 13-26 cassette, individually. I also found my Kryptonite lock and proceeded to test
the unlocking/locking mechanism and twisted the key in the lock.  :facepalm:
Where in the UK can I get a new key(s)?

Locks & security Q&A

Finally got round to a bit more research into replacing the key above ;D

and found out this :-

You may order keys through the Kryptonite web site: www.kryptonitelock.com or e-mail for information to letters@irco.com.

Disc-style keys for U Locks, Disc Locks and keys for our Heavy Duty Motorcycle cables are $6.00 USD each. Keys for the smaller bicycle cables are $3.00 USD each.

If you wish to order keys by mail, please send an International Money Order in US Dollars to:

Kryptonite, 437 Turnpike St, Canton, MA 02021 USA.

Our telephone number is 001-781-828-6655 and fax number is 001-781-821-0780.

Ordered 17/11/11
Delivered 23/11/11
 :thumbsup:
Cheers  :thumbsup:
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

AndyK

« Reply #4617 on: 24 November, 2011, 04:55:45 pm »
Fitted a new set of fully adjustable Humpert butterfly bars to the Moulton.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4618 on: 24 November, 2011, 07:33:08 pm »
Endura tights, in which I discovered a potentially embarrassing hole on the Whitby ride.  I've since obtained a marginally[1] more Kim-shaped replacement, but those have turned out to be wholly unsuitable for lying down on the job, on account of a lumpy waist band and knobbly back pocket.

*sigh*

[1] Tight around the quads, rather than about 12" too long.  Does nobody make cyclist-shaped cycle clothing?

AndyK

« Reply #4619 on: 24 November, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #4620 on: 24 November, 2011, 08:14:47 pm »
I am currently glueing the heel back on my slipper. It's not very exciting but the glue smells nice.

« Reply #4621 on: 24 November, 2011, 09:04:12 pm »
Reassembled the stupid remote control for conservatory light and fan.  Again.  Loaded with blu-tac and cardboardy packaging grot to try and keep the LCD display connected this time.  Anybody who thinks a remote control for a mains powered light instead of a wired in switch is a good idea should be shot.

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #4622 on: 24 November, 2011, 09:25:52 pm »
Moved the feet on my laptop wheelie-case outboard by 15mm to try to stop it falling over all the time.  You would think that a case for a laptop heavy enough to need wheeling around would be better balanced by design.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #4623 on: 24 November, 2011, 09:46:33 pm »

;)

I hope that you remembered to match-mark it before disassembly - Sheldon is a bit gash in that respect.

Before you all think I've gone stark staring mad...

I was reducing the chain to bits for a craft project. Well, MFWHTBAB reduced it, I cleaned the bits...

And then sorted them. I likes sorting.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4624 on: 24 November, 2011, 11:48:00 pm »
Two bedrooms, several beds, much laundry.  And one corner of the living room.  I now have a large quantity of surplus cables from underneath the inch thick layer of dust that was behind the TV.  AFAICT 90% of the wire tangle that was back there served absolutely no purpose whatsoever.  And it seems that the video actually works after all if it's plugged in and connected up, so maybe I won't throw out all the vhs just yet.

Now I should probably go and do the next bit...