Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1761893 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5150 on: 05 June, 2014, 09:38:22 am »
I think I left my purple comfort blanket behind. Good job I've got two more so I'm not feeling the loss that keenly.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5151 on: 06 June, 2014, 08:04:00 am »
On Wednesday night we finally tracked down some pickled eggs so could properly induct tippers_kiwi into our merry band of drinkers with a cycling problem.  Unfortunately the King Billy only had two left but no matter, Tomsk had his trusty Swiss Army Knife with him ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5152 on: 18 June, 2014, 09:50:14 pm »
Despite being in French France we did our best to uphold tradition - well nearly.

This evening me, Huggy and Tomsk (Del had an early night) had dinner with drinks at the Hotel des Alpes in Le Bourg d'Oisans.  We drove  :o cos it threatened to rain.  I had a single glass of Merlot, the other two finished off the pichet.

Normal service will be resumed shortly.

« Reply #5153 on: 24 June, 2014, 04:47:33 pm »
Is anyone around for a Cheeky Bike ride with some light refreshment this week? I am on and in-law evasion mission!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5154 on: 24 June, 2014, 05:18:01 pm »
Sounds good to me - an antidote to the forrin bier last week??? Any ideas for a venue - or the default setting [Compasses y'know]?

« Reply #5155 on: 24 June, 2014, 05:36:30 pm »
Comapsses sounds good! :thumbsup:

« Reply #5156 on: 24 June, 2014, 06:04:32 pm »
It's a bit hilly from here!  ::-)

Despite a week of climbing, some really quite high mountains in Les France, it doesn't feel any easier going up local hills, on the galaxy, and I have yet to find out what my fixed feels like.  :o

I may or may not turn up, we'll see.  ???

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5157 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:49:24 pm »
I'll aim for about 9pm at the Compasses - that's the Compasses, Littley Green.... ;D

It's a bit hilly from here!  ::-)

Despite a week of climbing, some really quite high mountains in Les France, it doesn't feel any easier going up local hills....

Me too - perhaps I'm still recovering?

« Reply #5158 on: 24 June, 2014, 11:00:44 pm »
I have put together a quick route, happy to be out done by others creativity!

http://tinyurl.com/jw534c7 - Garmin Adventures or you should be able to get a GPX from http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5129831

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5159 on: 25 June, 2014, 09:24:03 am »
I have put together a quick route, happy to be out done by others creativity!

http://tinyurl.com/jw534c7 - Garmin Adventures or you should be able to get a GPX from http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5129831
Tho' but there's no TMNH included in this route  :o

Depending upon work life I'll plan to come out to play.  What time are you thinking you'll be at the Powers Hall End roundabout, tippers?
The usual 7:30 to 7:40 departure works for me, should be at The Compasses (Littley Green!!) for about 9.

Will have entry form for the Hereward The Wake 300k to present to Tomsk  :)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #5160 on: 25 June, 2014, 11:18:11 am »
7:30 - 7:40 sounds good.

I left Norh Hill out figuring you guys would have had enough of that kind of behaviour last week  ;D

« Reply #5161 on: 26 June, 2014, 09:06:45 am »
A post French ride and pre French ride MEMWNS to the Compasses. Rode my fixed Pompino which felt weird  ??? and was much harder riding home, the slight Essex hills felt much steeper  :-[ and the thick air was a drag on my respiratory system!  :o

Great Waltham are doing things to welcome Le Tour. Like dumping old bikes and painting them in tricolour hues.

Meanwhile Huggy, Tippers, et al and laterly Tomsk enjoyed various English ales, victuals and a cool evening.

Another tricolour bike. I also rode past the Store that has been partially turned into a TdF museum. It has a penny farthing, an old fixed, musette bags, jerseys and some other historic TdF paraphernalia. No pics as it was very early/late!

We had a good night and impressed some with our tales of grimping and French food.  ;D

« Reply #5162 on: 26 June, 2014, 09:44:25 am »
I was impressed!  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5163 on: 26 June, 2014, 10:30:20 am »
Who are the other handsome chaps in the photo?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5164 on: 26 June, 2014, 01:39:38 pm »
Who are the other handsome chaps in the photo?
On the left of pic in the Witham Cycling jersey we have our very own train driver, trainmanbri, on the other side is called Steve (of whom there are many such named persons in the parish), also a WC member.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5165 on: 26 June, 2014, 03:13:44 pm »
 :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5166 on: 01 July, 2014, 08:49:59 am »
Re Monday 7th.

I'm sure I've thrown out an invitation to you lot over beers to park your bikes at mine and use the facilities. I live in Great Waltham about 150m from the village centre. As you'll know the Compasses are setting up a pub in the village hall and there are various groups doing BBQ etc. it should be good. I will provide apres tour comfort at mine (beers, sherry, creme de menthe, food). If you get smashed you can kip in the campervan on the drive.

If you're coming can you PM me how many and I'll give you the address etc it would be nice to see you.

Shame about the lack of Brits in the field, and whats left includes a Kenyan FFS.  ::-)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5167 on: 01 July, 2014, 01:02:47 pm »
One extra Brit now - Simon Yates is in!

« Reply #5168 on: 01 July, 2014, 02:57:49 pm »
Is anyone out this Wed evening? Clearly Le Tour plans need to be discussed!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5169 on: 01 July, 2014, 03:24:50 pm »
Some of us will be at The Compasses this evening - Witham Cycling led ride.

« Reply #5170 on: 01 July, 2014, 08:19:58 pm »
Some of us will be at The Compasses this evening - Witham Cycling led ride.
Tuesday? Tuesday evening? This evening? Tonight you mean?  Not Wednesday evening but Tuesday evening? ???

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5171 on: 02 July, 2014, 07:44:42 am »
We're doing a social villagers ride from GW on Sunday at 9am. 45 miles meandering route to Gt Sampford and back via the tour route pausing at Finchingfield. Of course you are all welcome, steady v. sociable pace.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5172 on: 02 July, 2014, 08:54:39 am »
1a] Hereward route check and helper's ride tonight with i-cycle otp. There won't be a pub stop  :o....until afterwards.

1b] Hereward - curry Friday evening, wave 35 riders off into the night, cook brunch from 09:00 until about 15:00 Saturday. Watch le Grand Depart on the telly in the evening....

2] Sunday morning I'll be with the wannabees on the Walden Velo sportive, ripping up the tour route. I'll be in Chelmer colours.

3] Monday, after it's all over, I'll head down to Gt Waltham from my 'Tourmaker' base at Rayne, hope to meet up with you lot and find some beer left  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5173 on: 02 July, 2014, 10:17:53 am »
I'll not be out to play this evening as I apparently used my mid-week ride allocation last night with the WC led ride, besides I have some fettling to do before the Hereward the Wake on Friday.
Equally, the offer of a Sunday pootle along the route is attractive but I'll save my route riding for early Monday morning from Rayne on my way to the Tour Maker Finchingfiled check in location.  When released from TM duties on Monday afternoon I'll make my way to Great Waltham (or other meeting place if decamped by then).  You can then all marvel at the TM uniforms that Tomsk and I will be wearing on the day  :sick:  ;D

« Reply #5174 on: 02 July, 2014, 10:41:23 am »
My ankle (or Kankle in current form) is still causing rather a lot of agro and I am forced to hop or crawl so no riding for me. I am still hoping for  a miraculous recovery in the next 24 hours (got my hands on a large box of NSAID's) so I can make the ride Friday night but it is not looking likely.  :( Gout at less than 40....and I thought all the cycling meant I could do whatever I liked diet wise.... :facepalm: