Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 449871 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #1450 on: 31 January, 2015, 12:58:48 pm »
Park run this morning. Went to the scanning table and produced my keyring as I have one of the plastic tag barcodes.
Or rather, I had one of the plastic tag barcodes. I now have half a tag with no barcode.
And it would have been a PB as well.  :'(
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1451 on: 31 January, 2015, 01:16:33 pm »
Well it still is a PB, even if it isn't on the ParkRun results page.

It was a good morning for PBs. I managed to remove 16 seconds from my ParkRun PB this morning, which is the first improvement in my PB since April 2014 :). Plus the guy who won the ParkRun was justifiably well chuffed because he dipped under 17 minutes for the first time ever.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1452 on: 31 January, 2015, 05:18:19 pm »
I posted a note on the our ParkRun's Facebook page (mostly to warn people to check the tags occasionally) and our run director saw it and has added my time to the results! (I hadn't actually forgotten the bar code which would have been a no-no!)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1453 on: 01 February, 2015, 12:45:35 pm »
This morning I ran the Watford half marathon. It was very windy cycling to the train station and it was equally windy in Watford. It was freezing hanging around in the start pen and I was wearing a long sleeved top, gloves, buff and long trousers. God knows what those in shorts and vests were feeling. Hypothermia would be a good guess.

The race was on closed roads and so not having to worry about traffic was a delight. The first half was into the wind, which is better than the other way round! It was an undulating course. My local Park Run has a few small hills and my experience of making up time on the downhills was useful as I kept passing people who looked uncomfortable running downhill. Finish time was around 1:21 which I'm very happy considering the time of year and nature of the course. Next up is the Hampton Court half in two weeks time.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #1454 on: 01 February, 2015, 02:15:47 pm »
That's an excellent run adamski, especially in cold and blustery conditions.

I ran the final fixture of the Thames Valley XC league. Only 9km but plenty of mud and trails.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1455 on: 01 February, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1456 on: 04 February, 2015, 08:07:18 am »
This morning I ran the Watford half marathon. It was very windy cycling to the train station and it was equally windy in Watford. It was freezing hanging around in the start pen and I was wearing a long sleeved top, gloves, buff and long trousers. God knows what those in shorts and vests were feeling. Hypothermia would be a good guess.

The race was on closed roads and so not having to worry about traffic was a delight. The first half was into the wind, which is better than the other way round! It was an undulating course. My local Park Run has a few small hills and my experience of making up time on the downhills was useful as I kept passing people who looked uncomfortable running downhill. Finish time was around 1:21 which I'm very happy considering the time of year and nature of the course. Next up is the Hampton Court half in two weeks time.

Top stuff Adamski.  I couldn't get close to that time, nor could most serious runners.  Did escape from the Luton Parkway Premier in a couple of nights ago and did just over 10 miles at a reasonable pace.  Would have been a bit quicker if didn't keep getting dazzled by cars with main beams on.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1457 on: 04 February, 2015, 09:40:49 pm »
Good running Adamski. 81 minutes isn't hanging around at any time of year, and in the dark of winter is excellent.

Just registered me and the whole family for the park runs. Really for the rest, but I might jog around and see how the achilles holds up. Did a couple of miles the other morning without repercussions.

Mike

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1458 on: 21 February, 2015, 12:56:35 pm »
Despite being crocked currently,  there was a lot of "running" in my morning.

1st up, watched the new parkrun round our chuffing estate. Good turnout*,  everyone seemed to like it. The course is a bit dull, being 3 laps of our rec then a 2km flat (mostly) paved fast finish. Normally this would be alongside the steam-train line, but they were sadly mute today. regular runners reckon it should be pretty fast, so maybe we'll be deluged with PB-chasers :P

2nd up was a rather spiffing R4 docco about Chariots of Fire (3rd of a Sounds of Cinema thing). Some real background nuggets, and just the sound clips got me all nostalgic.

*I say this ... but apparently new events are rather popular with "parkrun tourists" (despite almost no publicity). The 2nd Oxford course went from 280 first week, down to 80 2nd week! We got 238.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1459 on: 22 February, 2015, 01:13:14 pm »
This morning was the Hampton Court ½ marathon. My tapering could have been a little bit better as I did nothing from Saturday to Tuesday, followed by a 8 km run on Wednesday, a 12½ km run & 1,500 m swim on Friday & a full on effort at ParkRun yesterday :facepalm:.

This morning was beautiful and while it was icy it wasn't too cold as the sun was out. After dropping off my excess kit at the bag drop I enough time for a wee wee and push my way to the front of the starting pen. So much for a warm up :facepalm:.

The ½ marathon kicked off and within the opening minutes we were mixing it with runners on a 10 k race that had set off 15 minutes early. Chaos ensured as the fast boys & girls had to overtake the 10 k runners :facepalm:. At 1½ miles there was a split in the route, but it wasn't clear which way to go, so I ended up stopping, walking back to the marshals and eventually discovering I had been right all along. I guestimate 45 - 60 seconds was wasted :facepalm:. (From comments overheard I wasn't the only person affected.)

Things then improved with a good route along the Thames to Kingston and back via Hampton Court. However, my digestive system didn't feel quite right. I couldn't drink, wasn't brave enough to attempt to consume the gel that was in my pocket and felt like I would get a stitch at any moment.

The final ¾ of a mile were through woods, which had been churned up by the 350 people doing the 10 k. Spikes rather than road shoes would have been the better option.

So, all in all, not that great. I think I finished around 83 minutes and yet my chip time is 1:22:38, 49 seconds faster than the gun time. That cannot be correct as I was pretty much right at the front of pen, and even the guys at the front have a ~45 second offset. Hey ho.

Edit: And now the chip times have been modified.

simonp

« Reply #1460 on: 04 March, 2015, 02:13:31 pm »
Went on lunchtime run with colleagues. Could keep up. 6th overall on Almondsbury Hill.

Out of 13.  ::-)

The CR is held by a guy sat near me. Not sure I can knock over a minute off, sadly. My HR was 180 from keeping up with the fastest in our group on the hill as it was.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1461 on: 07 March, 2015, 11:47:09 am »
I've just shaved 22 seconds from my ParkRun PB :smug:.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1462 on: 08 March, 2015, 06:38:29 pm »
I went to a physio on Friday (mainly for cycling-related ITB stuff). In his "general assesment" he identified much reduced dorsiflexion (sp?) in my ankles.
This has been noted before - I broke both ankles 20-ish years ago - but this chap was the first to suggest it might  severely limit any running I do. i.e.make me much more injury-prone.

This is mostly a good thing. Cos;
 I think all information is good, and
 its nice to know that my litany of issues is probably Not My Fault!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #1463 on: 13 March, 2015, 02:35:29 pm »
One for the gentleman runners here. I am on the last leg of training for a half marathon (its been rubbish training but I will do the distance) and being a cyclist I have not been wearing anything in the pant department under my running tights. On my last two long runs (15 and 18km) I have ended up with a sore patch on my scrotum. Do I need to be wearing something more supportive down there or should I be greasing up? Would some chamois cream be of help in the general area for the finale next weekend?

And yes, after this running will be kept down to 10k and below. I much prefer being on the bike!

« Reply #1464 on: 13 March, 2015, 05:32:05 pm »
One for the gentleman runners here. I am on the last leg of training for a half marathon (its been rubbish training but I will do the distance) and being a cyclist I have not been wearing anything in the pant department under my running tights. On my last two long runs (15 and 18km) I have ended up with a sore patch on my scrotum. Do I need to be wearing something more supportive down there or should I be greasing up? Would some chamois cream be of help in the general area for the finale next weekend?

And yes, after this running will be kept down to 10k and below. I much prefer being on the bike!

When it's warm I only wear my (lined) shorts. When its cold I like to add a non-cotton layer underneath and tights on top of the shorts. I have had a particularly unpleasant experience, reported elsewhere, after running 10 miles on a cold evening wearing insufficient clothing in that area.

I have only ever suffered friction between my thighs - not scrotum - when I have been heavier than ideal. It's one way of losing weight, but not the most pleasant. Very occasional nipple rub on very long runs is dealt with by wearing appropriate fabrics - again, not cotton.

menthel

« Reply #1465 on: 13 March, 2015, 06:06:35 pm »

When it's warm I only wear my (lined) shorts. When its cold I like to add a non-cotton layer underneath and tights on top of the shorts. I have had a particularly unpleasant experience, reported elsewhere, after running 10 miles on a cold evening wearing insufficient clothing in that area.

I have only ever suffered friction between my thighs - not scrotum - when I have been heavier than ideal. It's one way of losing weight, but not the most pleasant. Very occasional nipple rub on very long runs is dealt with by wearing appropriate fabrics - again, not cotton.

Happy running in shorts when the weather improves but I don't think we are there yet. I will see what I can get in the unseamed, non cotton pant. In the meantime Sudocreme has been deployed and the baggy joggers are on.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #1466 on: 14 March, 2015, 12:59:00 pm »
I improved my ParkRun PB to 17:01, which I realise is fast, but at the same time gutting. I now need to shave off two seconds to get into that magical sub 17 list.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1467 on: 14 March, 2015, 01:18:49 pm »
^^ that's seriously quick, my best ever was 18:58..

haven't done a parkrun for more than a year now :-[

simonp

« Reply #1468 on: 17 March, 2015, 01:32:39 am »
Saw this link on Twitter. http://time.com/3048568/even-if-youre-bad-at-it-running-reduces-risk-of-death/?utm_content=buffer41f29&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

What's interesting is the shape of the curves. Basically flat once you do some running you're good. There is an upwards turn in one curve where the metric is time, though.

I'd be concerned if there was more of a U shaped curve. Because I'd worry about the implications for audaxers.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1469 on: 17 March, 2015, 05:32:15 am »
I've heard a convincing debunking of that "upwards turn". IIRC its based on a very small dataset - something like 1 death in the group studied. Statistically irrelevant :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1470 on: 17 March, 2015, 06:12:08 am »
I've heard a convincing debunking of that "upwards turn". IIRC its based on a very small dataset - something like 1 death in the group studied. Statistically irrelevant :)

Have a look at.the link I posted in the 'diet health' thread. Not sure the  datasets a so small. This isn't an 'exercise is bad because Jim Fixx died (and I don't like it)' campaign.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1471 on: 17 March, 2015, 12:50:44 pm »

Have a look at.the link I posted in the 'diet health' thread. Not sure the  datasets a so small. This isn't an 'exercise is bad because Jim Fixx died (and I don't like it)' campaign.
This one?
ftp://www.drjohnm.org/2014/05/exercise-over-indulgence-and-atrial-fibrillation-seeing-the-obvious/

Requires a login!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1472 on: 17 March, 2015, 01:28:26 pm »
Anyone tried running with hand weights?

I could do with something to start getting fit again - can't do much (timewise) running, but there is a nice park next to my house, suitable for a 10min jog. Anecdotal evidence says running with small hand weights means getting more cardio workout for same length of time.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #1473 on: 17 March, 2015, 02:30:07 pm »

I think I read the same debunking and posted it in another thread. There have been other concerns raised previously. I think the jury is still out overall.

menthel

« Reply #1474 on: 22 March, 2015, 07:15:36 pm »
Ran my half marathon today- 2h 6mins so very happy. I have also immediately retired from any further long distance running- 5-10k is more than enough for me!

Also bonked for the first time ever caused by poor pre run nutrition. By the time I finished I was cold, nauseous and shaking, it made the cycle home interesting! Will watch out for that for cycling in the future.