Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2196903 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16700 on: 21 March, 2022, 04:25:56 pm »
Added rear rack to laidback trike )will need more attention) and fitted pitlock skewer at back.
Repaired klickfix mount and refitted it to handlebars on fixed
Repaired dyno light connection on fixed
Didn't change chain length on fixed though ... but I should.  I do need to fettle the rear mudguard some more first.
(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16701 on: 21 March, 2022, 05:16:57 pm »
Faffing about with seatpost & SQR block on the electric cow to try and replace rack with Carradice & save 750g.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #16702 on: 21 March, 2022, 07:16:02 pm »
Had to cut a front tyre off my velomobile today. It was a Conti contact speed and had been on for over two years without a puncture. The rubber had vulcanised to the rim. Took me and my landlord 45 minutes to chop it up and eventually get the wired bead off. Mega hard work, won’t want to do that again - I shall dismount the tyres a couple of times a season now.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16703 on: 22 March, 2022, 02:37:29 pm »
Got seatpost, saddle & SQR block adjusted on the eCow, but only at cost of raising saddle ~1 cm. Be interesting to see what that does to my nethers.  Also fitted a new Zefal Cyclop mirror to same bovine, a nasty fiddly process that involved industrial quantities of swear.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16704 on: 22 March, 2022, 11:04:54 pm »
Replaced the rear tyre and tube on HK’s Brompton. Only one partially-worn Brompton-labelled tyre left in the garage.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16705 on: 23 March, 2022, 08:03:26 am »
Trimmed a little off the centre split in the Salle Anatomica I have on the Electric Cow so that I can run it a bit slacker and thereby maybe cushion the pile-driver thumps the damned thing inflicts.

Replaced the rear tyre and tube on HK’s Brompton. Only one partially-worn Brompton-labelled tyre left in the garage.

My bits cupboard has a shelf stuffed with GP4000IIs 700x23's with worn telltales, all with "Turbo" chalked on them, plus a brand-new 700x23 GP4000 II & a few unused tubes.  Been running on 25's for the past few years.

« Reply #16706 on: 23 March, 2022, 08:44:19 am »
I swapped the 25mm GP4000 on the back of the summer bike for a new 28mm Gp5000.  It measured up slightly narrower and was a right tw@t to get on the rim.  That's progress  ::-)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16707 on: 24 March, 2022, 05:16:58 pm »
I had to do a work thing in the morning (on my holidays, boo) so after that I was planning to paint some fence but it rained so instead I did more:
2022-03-24_04-12-05 by The Pingus, on Flickr
That's what remains after I already made 2 trips to the tip. (It might not seem a lot but there are monster speed bumps on the road to the tip so the boot has not been full).
I'd had enough of humphing concrete on my own after that so then I dug up (FCVO) that horrible laurel. It will no doubt come back but that's the best I can do before I borrow a mattock and try to get rid of some leylandii roots.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16708 on: 25 March, 2022, 10:43:40 am »
got a 26 wheel off ebay fpr £10 plus postage. A Mavic Crossride. it's true with plenty of rim left. So took the axle out and lubricated the bearings and a bit of grease on the endcaps to slow the ingress of water

« Reply #16709 on: 25 March, 2022, 09:05:27 pm »
After striping some bits off a bike that was left in the local park and because the garage was now empty ( I keep my car in the garage) I swept the garage floor. I obviously don't do this enough because I am always surprised by the amount of leaves that have blown in and how clean the floor looks after.

« Reply #16710 on: 26 March, 2022, 01:02:22 pm »
Nothing so far which is a problem. Waiting on carpet being fitted/delivered and have promised my eldest I'll get her bed built today as she's currently sleeping on a camping mat on the floor in her sisters room. I had expected the fitters to be on a half day so get done before lunch but it's getting later

« Reply #16711 on: 26 March, 2022, 03:24:39 pm »
Gave the Elan a deep clean. Removed the crankset, undid the chain rings, removed the jockey wheels and chain and gave them all a jolly good degrease. You can imagine the amount of black gunk that builds up after winter of muddy byways and leaf litter lanes. The first round of cleaning was more like chiselling than cleaning! Looks very sparkly now with the drivetrain making a lovely mechanical rustling sound and spinning much more freely.

« Reply #16712 on: 26 March, 2022, 03:47:02 pm »
Put up some support wires and a bit of old mesh fencing against a fence panel for my wife’s sweet peas to climb up, and be accessible for cutting.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16713 on: 26 March, 2022, 03:48:26 pm »
Assembled a brush-cutter.  MrsT has been on at me for some time to get one, so earlier this month I dipped into the bike fund and got her a Stihl, a petrol one with a 2-handed handlebar & double shoulder harness.

Once I was done she came into the workshop, looked at it and said "of course, you'll be the one using it".  :(

« Reply #16714 on: 26 March, 2022, 03:58:39 pm »
Put the only spare tyres I now have on the road bike, which are 23mm. It was hard work and no doubt these will be unkind to my Maximus. Gator skins are becoming spendy.  I managed to order some Rubino Pros for a tenner each.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16715 on: 26 March, 2022, 04:14:49 pm »
Gave 1 fence panel a 2nd coat of Ducksback. Gave my scaffold plank proto bench a final sanding and a first coat of varnish.
Attempted to move a small Holly from the wrong place but it's planted to close to the fence and I couldn't get it up digging from only 1 side.
Put some screws in the new fence post panel brackets being as they weren't attached.
Lent my pallet breaker to the neighbours who were dismembering their shared fence (the one that has been learning over since before we moved in) they seemed very pleased to have use of it.
Took down the retractable washing line to try to put the eye shield anchor bolt in one of the existing holes. Of course they were not big enough and my attempts to embiggen were hampered by me only having drill bits for metal so I need to borrow some masonry ones.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16716 on: 26 March, 2022, 05:21:37 pm »
I'm taking a break from removing all the old silicone from the tub prior to running new.

How it can unstick enough to let water piss into the hallway cupboard below and yet be almost impossible to actually remove I don't know.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16717 on: 27 March, 2022, 01:36:31 pm »
Fitted a tortec rack, that I'd bought for her birthday, to my Young Lady's bike. The bike, thankfully, has rack mounts on the seat stays (something I'd failed to check before buying the rack) but they are bottle type bosses facing rearward rather than outward.

Scrabbled in the Pot of Fasteners and turned up a couple of bits of stainless steel, originally meant as rear mudguard to mudguard bridge brackets. Bent these to the correct shape using my King Dick as a makeshift vice and another adjustable spanner. Channeling my inner Blondihacks/This Old Tony, I drilled holes, using some mole grips to hold things steady. Really really slow drill speed and plenty of pressure was the trick. After that it was straight forward. Quite Pleased with the result.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16718 on: 27 March, 2022, 02:06:35 pm »
Fitted a tortec rack, that I'd bought for her birthday, to my Young Lady's bike. The bike, thankfully, has rack mounts on the seat stays (something I'd failed to check before buying the rack) but they are bottle type bosses facing rearward rather than outward.

Scrabbled in the Pot of Fasteners and turned up a couple of bits of stainless steel, originally meant as rear mudguard to mudguard bridge brackets. Bent these to the correct shape using my King Dick as a makeshift vice and another adjustable spanner. Channeling my inner Blondihacks/This Old Tony, I drilled holes, using some mole grips to hold things steady. Really really slow drill speed and plenty of pressure was the trick. After that it was straight forward. Quite Pleased with the result.

The metal on the mudguard clips may be a bit thin for the purpose (having fettled stuff from them myself they bend/flex) - p-clips are a better and stronger solution for un-bossed rear stays and rack mounts.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16719 on: 27 March, 2022, 03:13:13 pm »
I had the headset on my Ti warhorse replaced recently, and noticed a bit of play on braking. I loosened off the stem bolts and tightened the cap, but even with it fully home the play was still there. Most annoying. I possibly need to drive the star nut a bit deeper... CBA on a Sunday afternoon so tightened up the stem bolts and will ignore it for now.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16720 on: 27 March, 2022, 03:46:17 pm »
Check the cap is not landing off on the top of the steerer instead of the stem.
The steerer should be a couple of mm deep inside the stem.

Otherwise, you need to either add a spacer or shorten the steerer.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16721 on: 27 March, 2022, 04:35:42 pm »
Check the cap is not landing off on the top of the steerer instead of the stem.
The steerer should be a couple of mm deep inside the stem.

Otherwise, you need to either add a spacer or shorten the steerer.

Hmm, I'd go for a spacer (you may need to juggle different widths unless you can find a very thin one) - cutting the steerer tube unless you have the proper sawing guide is usually asking for trouble.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16722 on: 27 March, 2022, 04:53:45 pm »
@feanor: I just had another look: you didn't quite hit the nail on the head but you gave it a nasty fright.  What happened is this:

That bike has a 1" steerer. The original stem was horrible so ~15 years ago I changed it for a much prettier 1 1/8" one, with a spacer and a wide-enough cap to bear down on the stem.  I reckon that when the LBS changed the bearing the excuse for a mechanic (a) replaced my cap with the one that came with the bearing and (b) left the spacer standing ~1 mm above the top of the steerer.  He then tightened everything up and gave me back the bike, ignoring the fact that the new cap was nestling down inside the stem rather that on top of it.  I've pushed the spacer down below the top of the steerer now, and ordered a new 1 1/8" cap. Wish I'd thought to ask for the old one back when I collected the bike.

I'm riding this bike tomorrow, but I don't think any harm will come to the bearing in just one ride - the play isn't dramatic.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16723 on: 28 March, 2022, 01:44:32 pm »

The metal on the mudguard clips may be a bit thin for the purpose (having fettled stuff from them myself they bend/flex) - p-clips are a better and stronger solution for un-bossed rear stays and rack mounts.
Point taken. It's not the brake bridge clip but the two part clip that goes onto the chainstay bridge. Looks about 1mm thick. I'll keep an eye on it.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #16724 on: 28 March, 2022, 02:18:28 pm »
Set off early to recover car from garage, where it has been stuck for several days as I hadn't be able to get to it.  Used the Enigma machine for the first time in a couple of months, it has been sitting around waiting for a new wheel.  Got to the steep little hill at Tunworth, and was able to change to the little ring.  Bit of a worry as there were more hills to come.  Investigation shows that in sitting around for two months the loose end of the cable had become wedged under the lip of the mudguard and so was retaining tension in the system.  One flick and everything was working fine. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)