Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3969409 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23025 on: 05 April, 2020, 11:04:35 am »
I note that this is probably the time, if there ever was such a thing (I've been living in Brum for over 10 years and haven't worked up the inclination), to ride the outer circle...
Do it. You'll like it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23026 on: 05 April, 2020, 11:33:03 am »
Out on the new to me boingy bike, exploring the bridleways round my way. Saw one horse and rider, but that was on a nice wide bridleway, then two couples neccesitating knarly bike handling skillz* to keep a good 2m away.

Fantastic sunny evening, the only downer was my OS map made a bid for freedom somewhere on the final 3km, so I'll go and try to find it tomorrow.

* or maybe I just bumped up over some tree roots.
Out this morning retracing my steps pedal strokes, looking for my map.  No luck, but a gorgeously sunny morning and a depressing amount of litter on the verges. Some people are messy bastards.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23027 on: 05 April, 2020, 03:12:05 pm »
Been out early the last 2 mornings. Saturday 46km 660m. Sunday 66km 1200m.

Done some of the big local climbs. Lodge Lane and Jenkin Road yesterday and Winnats Pass and Fiddlers Elbow today.

Today on my way back to Hillsborough I noticed Ringinglow Road was heaving with cyclists, joggers and walkers. Most looked like they were trying to follow distancing protocol but there were some people who seemed oblivious to their surroundings, making it difficult for others. Handy I was descending because I cleared it all pretty quickly.

If we're not banned from outdoor exercise I will be going out earlier/later and will stick less popular roads.

I noted only 7 overtakes from Hillsborough to Ladybower (16km-ish), leaving at 7.30, which is more comparable to 4am usually.

bairn again

« Reply #23028 on: 05 April, 2020, 03:13:06 pm »
50km on the tandem with my wife. 

Much better than last weeks effort, everything just seemed to click, compared to last week when the bike felt like it was made of lead.

A very pleasing number of bikes out, not seen thar many folk out on bikes on the road between Linlithgow and Kirkliston since the Glasgow - Edinburgh bike ride.   :thumbsup:

Thats 200km in four short-ish snappier rides in the last 7 days.   I could get to enjoy this.   

« Reply #23029 on: 05 April, 2020, 03:20:14 pm »
I don't see much sign of folks in this thread sticking to the 1-hour regulation (unless they're bloody fast  ;D).  I suppose you've all read this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

I stopped going more than 5k from home and do a loop which takes between 55-60 mins.  I'd love to be doing my longer rides in the Essex lanes but, quite apart from disobeying the current law, what if I'm in an accident or have a serious mechanical 50k from home?  Can't see anyone coming to my aid with a cheery smile.

Honestly folks, we can't try and continue with life as before - it's going to fuck it up for everyone. It's not as if we haven't been told.  I'd rather have a 1-hour ride than not be allowed any exercise at all.
The sound of one pannier flapping

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #23030 on: 05 April, 2020, 03:42:15 pm »
I don't see much sign of folks in this thread sticking to the 1-hour regulation (unless they're bloody fast  ;D).

What 'hour regulation'? Sounds like bollocks to me.

Did my first 100 km ride on the fixed today. Lovely morning out to Windsor and back. Plenty of others out but all behaving themselves.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #23031 on: 05 April, 2020, 03:56:25 pm »
I don't see much sign of folks in this thread sticking to the 1-hour regulation (unless they're bloody fast  ;D).

Did my first 100 km ride on the fixed today. Lovely morning out to Windsor and back. Plenty of others out but all behaving themselves.

"Daily walk or run should be for a maximum of one hour and near home during the coronavirus lockdown"

And it has nothing whatever to do with "behaving yourself" or even social distancing.  It's to do with being away from home and possibly needing medical or mechanical assistance, and applies to everyone - motorists, people using public transport and, yes, cyclists.

But I suppose that doesn't apply to you  ::-)

But just you carry on.  We'll all thank you when we have a total ban.

bludger

« Reply #23032 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:17:03 pm »
I'll ask again.

Where is it from? If you don't have a .gov.uk link ready you can just not bother posting.

Ban cars.

« Reply #23033 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:18:19 pm »

"Daily walk or run should be for a maximum of one hour and near home during the coronavirus lockdown"

And it has nothing whatever to do with "behaving yourself" or even social distancing.  It's to do with being away from home and possibly needing medical or mechanical assistance, and applies to everyone - motorists, people using public transport and, yes, cyclists.

But I suppose that doesn't apply to you  ::-)

But just you carry on.  We'll all thank you when we have a total ban.
!
Exactly! People need to stop being so bloody selfish and irresponsible!

bludger

« Reply #23034 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:24:58 pm »
I haven't seen any friends in 3 weeks. I'm following all the public health guidance. I've left the house once today and I'm not doing it again. But I'm not going to start following random 'rules' because someone on YACF has just made one up.

Ban cars.

bairn again

« Reply #23035 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:30:54 pm »
Nice loop down to Largs on deserted roads this morning, a little windy and cold but fine when moving. No cafe's open so Co op for supplies.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46630854

Off to check on your holiday home Doon the Watter no doubt.  Its all the rage in Scotland.

« Reply #23036 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:37:14 pm »
I haven't seen any friends in 3 weeks. I'm following all the public health guidance. I've left the house once today and I'm not doing it again. But I'm not going to start following random 'rules' because someone on YACF has just made one up.

It was a clarification last Sunday by Gove, but is part of the overall current regulations.  I suppose you want to wait until it's a specific regulation, or quite likely a total ban  ::-)

bludger

« Reply #23037 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:38:24 pm »
Er yeah I will wait until an actual regulation thanks. Not your guesses on the back of some cokehead giving a press conference because his boss is frightened of standing at a lectern being accountable for his performance.

Thanks for at least conceding there is no such "hour regulation" anyway...  ::-)

Ban cars.

« Reply #23038 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:42:49 pm »
Er yeah I will wait until an actual regulation thanks. Not your guesses on the back of some cokehead giving a press conference because his boss is frightened of standing at a lectern being accountable for his performance.

Thanks for at least conceding there is no such "hour regulation" anyway...  ::-)

Thanks for not addressing the substance of my posts and the valid reasons for not cycling long distances away from home at the moment.  ::-)

bludger

« Reply #23039 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:44:33 pm »
The 'substance' of your post was a fabricated "hour regulation" which does not exist.  O:-)

Ban cars.

« Reply #23040 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:45:53 pm »
The 'substance' of your post was a fabricated "hour regulation" which does not exist.  O:-)

I'll repeat (for the hard of understanding):

Care to comment?

bairn again

« Reply #23041 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:46:20 pm »
 Ive been checking this https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ before going out each time over the last week or so. 

It still says -   

” do light exercise at home, or outside once a day”

Does it feature a time limit? ❌

Does it feature a maximum distance from home?  ❌

bludger

« Reply #23042 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:47:37 pm »

Care to comment?
No, because I'm satisfied that your "hour regulation" is bollocks, as I suspected.

Ban cars.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #23043 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:48:48 pm »
Ive been checking this https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/ before going out each time over the last week or so. 

It still says -   

” do light exercise at home, or outside once a day”

Does it feature a time limit? ❌

Does it feature a maximum distance from home?  ❌

I was basically going to say the same on this, the BBC have been saying it's an hour, but nothing else including gov.uk does not specify any time limit

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

"one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household"

« Reply #23044 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:49:42 pm »
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

1. Staying at home
You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

• shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
    one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
    any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
    travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home.
These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

My bold
100km ride is not, in my opinion, minimising time spent outside the home - its a nice day out.

« Reply #23045 on: 05 April, 2020, 04:55:00 pm »
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

1. Staying at home
You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

• shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
    one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
    any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
    travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home.
These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household.

My bold
100km ride is not, in my opinion, minimising time spent outside the home - its a nice day out.

Thanks Jen.  I knew there was more detail somewhere but couldn't locate it.

I agree.  There's the letter but also the spirit of the law.  To carry on doing 100k rides at the moment is selfish IMO.  God knows I'd love to have gone out for a long ride today but contented myself with a local 60-minute loop.  So be it if that's what it takes to avoid a total ban.

bludger

« Reply #23046 on: 05 April, 2020, 05:15:59 pm »
There is no evidence whatsoever that my 100 km 100% alone ride is 'putting cycling in danger'. None. Zilch. "Minimising time outside of the home" is ambiguous. It could refer to people being instructed not to drive somewhere to do their exercise (Which I see runners and etc do every other day). Not 'do the minimal amount of exercise'.

I am not responsible for the actions of a government that has completely lost the plot and pissed our preparation time up the wall by telling the EU we didn't want their ventilators. The government owns this mess and all its consequences. Not me or anyone else on YACF.

What's truly tragic is that if I do a deliveroo/Stuart shift delivering waffles and ice cream (hardly 'essential'...) then I can cycle for as long as I like as many times of the day I want.

Any word about restricting the landed gentry from shooting and horse riding on "their" own land yet? Give me a call when that happens.

Ban cars.

Phil W

« Reply #23047 on: 05 April, 2020, 05:20:42 pm »
Yes out on my Brompton with wife on her hybrid. Wore shorts for the first time since end of October, and no jacket. It was lovely.  Walk tomorrow as alternating the form of exercise each day.

« Reply #23048 on: 05 April, 2020, 05:28:40 pm »
Goves words were “ I would have thought ....  and somewhere between the two (30 min run, 1 hour walk) for cycling “

It’s not a rule or law etc

« Reply #23049 on: 05 April, 2020, 05:34:24 pm »
Fair enough.  Carry on then, all.  Sorry for the intrusion.