Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3970327 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23350 on: 02 May, 2020, 09:07:35 pm »
traditional loop in essex under lazily drifting clouds

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #23351 on: 03 May, 2020, 09:58:45 am »
Rode the Richard Ellis Memorial 100km Audax route yesterday, with a few detours to remote Suffolk lanes new to me. There are some lovely villages out that way, south of Bury St Edmunds, must visit a few pubs there when the crisis has passed, if they survive ...

« Reply #23352 on: 03 May, 2020, 05:14:20 pm »
Yep - 34 miles.

Up to Polegate and through the woods to Berwick, across to Ripe and onto the main road (well cycle lane alongside) to Lewes where I decided I didn't actually want to go that way. Back on myself to Selmeston and up BoPeep Bostal. Had to push a section of it. My fitness is coming back but not quite there. Back home via Berwick-Hailsham-Polegate.

A grey day but it stayed dry and was warm enough apart from just after the descent off BoPeep.

Was the longest ride this year for me I think.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23353 on: 03 May, 2020, 10:51:11 pm »
Have managed to get the distance up on the flat now but I'm worse than glacial on the hills and I seem to be burst around 80km.

However I've been to St Andrews twice since lockdown started, it's amazing.
It's even quieter than it was between golf tournaments before some entitled twit decided to go to uni there.
And it's just the people that live on the correct side of the Kinnessburn that are kicking around along with people from the surrounding areas on bikes.

First time I've been able to tolerate the place in years, even spotted a few things I didn't even spot on school lunch break wanders like the town hall memorial to the polish soldiers who defended the north fife coast from Tentsmuir (and have left a load of non-Germanic/Gaelic/Bretonic names in the area).

« Reply #23354 on: 04 May, 2020, 04:52:23 pm »
I had to do the shopping today and the car battery was totally dead. I got the tandem out and put it into cargo bike mode for the first time in ages. That was fun! A full trolley into 4 baskets and the big brompton bag.  :D :D :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23355 on: 04 May, 2020, 06:07:36 pm »
I had to do the shopping today and the car battery was totally dead. I got the tandem out and put it into cargo bike mode for the first time in ages. That was fun! A full trolley into 4 baskets and the big brompton bag.  :D :D :D
I like and approve of this and encourage its popularisation.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23356 on: 04 May, 2020, 10:30:15 pm »

Do you have an adaptation for that?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bairn again

« Reply #23357 on: 05 May, 2020, 09:28:33 pm »
A wee post work hurl out from Edinburgh over the Forth to Limekilns and back. 

Pleased to see that there appears to be a stretch of bike path under construction connecting the end of Hilton Road in Rosyth to the path leading off the A985 to Limekilns.  The A985 is normally quite busy so avoiding even this short stretch should soon be a plus. 

We decided to head home the long way via Barnton and the Roseburn path as it was such a pleasant evening.  53km all in. 

The only downside was the traffic in the suburbs leaving Edinburgh, we agreed that what we were seeing felt like around 50% of pre lockdown traffic, which is something of a shame a day after it was announced that pollution levels on St Johns Rd were down something like 60%. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48308642

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23358 on: 06 May, 2020, 06:20:30 pm »
No. The weather looks lovely through the window, but a bit of gardening this morning proved that it's Bloody Cold, especially in the wind. I'm getting fed up with seeing promises of >springlike temperatures on the weather forecast, and finding that consistently excludes East Angular. Don't they know I am a Fair Weather Cyclist, with an allergy to anything below 18C?

Bah. Mutter.

bairn again

« Reply #23359 on: 06 May, 2020, 07:53:12 pm »
Such a lovely day that I got changed before my last zoom meeting of the day at 1600, stuck a shirt on top of my cycling kit and dashed out the house at 1645.

Decided to head east to benefit from a tailwind on the run home so managed out to Tranent and back for a cigarette paper under 50km in just over 2 hrs. 

Very Enjoyable.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48363707

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23360 on: 07 May, 2020, 12:28:04 pm »
A potter down to the sea front and a walk on the beach (at an antisocial distance) with Penny & Molly. The tide was coming in and it was beautiful, although, typically for May, the various bits of machinery around the port of Sheerness were mere silhouettes in the mist.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #23361 on: 07 May, 2020, 12:51:00 pm »
Yesterday, early finish from work so took long way home to enjoy the sunshine

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48345001?privacy_code=pQRDFHiOv0ZA6J3d
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #23362 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:34:55 pm »
About 7 miles locally and at a very low speed. Nice to be out  in the sunshine though   :)
the slower you go the more you see

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23363 on: 07 May, 2020, 09:52:43 pm »
About 36km around the local lanes. Much more traffic around today, though everyone seemed to be in a very good mood and were being very polite to each other. Quite a few people out on bikes too, including one guy on an e-bike who made me look very inadequate going up a hill. At least he had the decency not to put it on Strava.

« Reply #23364 on: 07 May, 2020, 10:09:20 pm »
I've been out for 3 rides with 3 different members of my family rides in the last couple of days.

Ride #1: Our 18 year old daughter, (who hasn't rode a bike since declaring 4 years ago that she'd never ride a bike ever again), decided that she fancied a bike ride on Tuesday evening. We only rode 15 miles but she went out again this evening on her own for a 27 mile ride, arriving home again just in time for a round of applause from the whole street as she cruised back onto our street bang on 8pm. 

Ride #2: The following evening after getting in from work Mrs B and I took the tandem out for a 25 mile run.

Ride #3: Little Joe and I did a 39 mile ride today, mightily good given that he's 10 years old. Yes, that was stretching the approved exercise hour somewhat but I'm doing six consecutive 11 hour shifts from tomorrow so won't get out again until the middle of next week.   

« Reply #23365 on: 07 May, 2020, 10:20:50 pm »
Yes. 37 miles in the sun and it was lovely.

Lots of cyclists and a several of joggers and walkers about around the lanes.

That first beer when I got back and joined my better half on the patio disappeared quick quick.

I'm sure I'm more tired now that I ought to be but eeeh, no alarm tomorrow
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #23366 on: 08 May, 2020, 05:04:36 pm »
After work loop out to Greenock along the main A8 dual carriageway. Normally like a motorway and to be avoided but deserted today due to the bank holiday and current situation. Flat run all the way then a stinker of a climb back out.

Quiet lanes back on the way back until i had a run in with Farquar in his his white wanker mobile demanding to know what i was doing on his road??? A lovely single track road that leads up to the posh Houston golf club, no doubt full of of other such wankers, Using my posh Glasgow voice i informed him that it was neither his road or private and that he'd do well to keep his fucking mouth shut and be on his way, That seemed to do the trick as he slinked off in his BMW muttering things about reporting me.

Apart from that an very enjoyable 100k day out.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48476555?privacy_code=NMsCNaKl8p1IV9MD

« Reply #23367 on: 08 May, 2020, 05:45:43 pm »
Using my posh Glasgow voice i informed him that it was neither his road or private and that he'd do well to keep his fucking mouth shut and be on his way, That seemed to do the trick as he slinked off in his BMW muttering things about reporting me.

:thumbsup: You could also have employed the "don't you know who I am?" riposte.
If he'd known you were half of the WCTD team, that would have scared him off for sure.

« Reply #23368 on: 08 May, 2020, 05:51:40 pm »
25miles off road with mini postie, up on to kingley vale lovely ride and stop for snacks on the top looking out towards Chichester.

Roads still empty round here apart from farm traffic and the odd car , all bridleways and lanes full off cyclist!!!!

« Reply #23369 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:10:58 pm »
Down the Thames path to Greenwich.
Lots of people on Boris bikes, and lots of cyclists generally. Heres hoping they keep it up.

bairn again

« Reply #23370 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:20:33 pm »
A very pleasant afternoon 84k excursion out to (nearly) Carnwath and back.

I thought Id been teleported into Belfast when wall to wall Union flags appeared, but I remembered it was VE Day and that West Lothian takes these things seriously. 

A wee jink through Livi and up up and up again to Auchengray and Woolfords and finally to the junction with the A70 near Carnwath.  Id intended a retrace but some muck spreading and associated whiffieness made me take the A70 Lang Whang which Ive not ridden in this direction for ages.  A drop down into Kirknewton, a shimmy through Ratho and back home via Edinburgh Park and South Gyle. 

Think i have caught the sun (though it was cloudy for long spells)

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48486413

« Reply #23371 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:42:03 pm »
...until i had a run in with Farquar in his his white wanker mobile....

😂👍.  Excellent.  I do wonder how he is describing the enounter to the Alasdairs and Rodericks on the houston GC forum 😂

bairn again

« Reply #23372 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:53:25 pm »

😂👍.  Excellent.  I do wonder how he is describing the enounter to the Alasdairs and Rodericks on the houston GC forum 😂
My money is on WCTD being described as “a ghastly oik”, or “lycra lout” minimum. 

« Reply #23373 on: 08 May, 2020, 06:53:34 pm »
There’s a nice wide bridleway that leads to Ditchling, so I took that then up to the edge of Burgess Hill and then to Chailey through the common. There I thought I’d missed a turn, rode back, found I hadn’t - these A roads are quite unfamiliar! So the route back wasn’t quite as planned, but an enjoyable 50km in the sunshine. Also Miss Dan the Elder had got ice creams, which was nice to come home to :)

« Reply #23374 on: 08 May, 2020, 07:35:12 pm »

My money is on WCTD being described as “a ghastly oik”, or “lycra lout” minimum.

Funnily enough he waffled on about you lot in lycra think you own the road and how he was sick of having to slow down on this road as you lot are taking over it  ;D