Author Topic: Is it the end of cash?  (Read 40877 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Is it the end of cash?
« Reply #350 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:15:32 pm »
That does seem to imply a network of cash machines on a 3 mile grid covering the entire country, which is clearly bonkers.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #351 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:20:51 pm »
I look forward to yet another big blue symbol obscuring interesting detail on OS Explorer maps.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #352 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:40:29 pm »
That does seem to imply a network of cash machines on a 3 mile grid covering the entire country, which is clearly bonkers.

Probably more like 6 miles.  It only has to be 3 miles in any direction.

« Reply #353 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:43:06 pm »
One of the anti cash arguments is stopping muggings.  This of course supposes that people, especially older, weaker and more frail types wouldn't be mugged for their cards, phones or perhaps smartwarches.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #354 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:43:27 pm »

So one every 10km. This is what the national grid was made for!

« Reply #355 on: 18 August, 2023, 03:45:33 pm »

I think that an equilateral triangle grid of 6 mile sides would work best. 

We need a new app: What Three Cashpoints ...

« Reply #356 on: 18 August, 2023, 04:05:43 pm »
Seems it is based on this FCA report. https://www.fca.org.uk/data/access-cash-coverage-uk-2022-q2
It shows over 95% of the population within 1 mile / 3 miles of cash withdrawals/deposits. Though that includes post offices or mobile banks, which may only be open for a couple of hours each week.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #357 on: 18 August, 2023, 04:31:36 pm »
What an utterly useless policy.

From the current government? Surely not!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #358 on: 18 August, 2023, 04:53:54 pm »

I think that an equilateral triangle grid of 6 mile sides would work best. 

We need a new app: What Three Cashpoints ...

I'm already securing Venture Capital for it...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #359 on: 18 August, 2023, 05:42:50 pm »
Best of luck.  👍

Mind's a modest bottle of Mortlach flora and fauna 16 year old single malt if you succeed.  🥃

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #360 on: 07 December, 2023, 11:53:19 am »
Cash will spend again.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67636571
Cash was used in 19% of transactions last year, according to retailers, up from 15% the previous year. Until 2015, notes and coins were used in more than half of transactions and, while card use now dominated, cash still had its benefits.

And also:
Ministers say banks will be fined if money cannot be withdrawn or deposited.

Under government rules, free withdrawals and deposits will need to be available within one mile for people living in urban areas.

In rural areas, where there are concerns over "cash deserts", the maximum distance is three miles.
I note "will", so it's almost certainly just another empty pronouncement, but supposing such a rule were brought in, how would it be enforced? In the middle of a large city, I have no bank branches within a mile, but there are plenty of ATMs in supermarkets, POs and similar. Out in the burbs you might be a mile from the nearest shop, so how does that work? I suppose if it's suburban, it's not technically urban.  ::-)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #361 on: 07 December, 2023, 12:48:54 pm »
Most people would probably consider the nearest shop being "well over 3 miles away" a rural location.

My nearest of any sort is 7.5 miles away, but if I actually want to buy anything other than butchery (or visit a choice of 3 pubs!), its 12 miles away, and they're a bit iffy.  For "big shops/supermarkets", I have to travel to another country!
Wombat

« Reply #362 on: 08 December, 2023, 08:00:15 am »
Most people would probably consider the nearest shop being "well over 3 miles away" a rural location.

My nearest of any sort is 7.5 miles away, but if I actually want to buy anything other than butchery (or visit a choice of 3 pubs!), its 12 miles away, and they're a bit iffy.  For "big shops/supermarkets", I have to travel to another country!

I hope your passport is up to date.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #363 on: 08 December, 2023, 01:25:17 pm »

I hope your passport is up to date.
I remember someone in Poland telling how, as a small child in the 1980s, she had grown up in a village next to the border with what was then Czechoslovakia. At this time all sorts of things that were impossible to find in Poland were easily available in Czechoslovakia. You could cross the border without a visa, but you had to apply for a passport on each occasion and there was always the likelihood of a baggage search. Unless you were a small girl on a little bike with tassels on the handlebars, who the guards knew just popped across the border every other day with a shopping list from her mum.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #364 on: 11 December, 2023, 02:37:29 pm »
One of the anti cash arguments is stopping muggings.  This of course supposes that people, especially older, weaker and more frail types wouldn't be mugged for their cards, phones or perhaps smartwarches.

In that situation I'd hand over my cards as the money would be refunded. I guess handing over watches/phones would be far less popular as they cost so much themselves, but you'd need the owner to unlock them before you could use them to pay for things so I'd imagine it's a riskier deal for the thief/mugger than stolen cash.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #365 on: 11 December, 2023, 02:43:57 pm »
I ask the same about smartphones. I live in Southwark and theft of smartphones is rife. Youths ride bikes up behind people and snatch smartphones.
I guess there must be a way to unlock an wipe the phones and a market for them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #366 on: 11 December, 2023, 02:44:23 pm »

In that situation I'd hand over my cards as the money would be refunded. I guess handing over watches/phones would be far less popular as they cost so much themselves, but you'd need the owner to unlock them before you could use them to pay for things so I'd imagine it's a riskier deal for the thief/mugger than stolen cash.

Traditionally it's teenagers who get mugged for their phones (which is why it's a nonsense that phones make them safer on the way home from school).

Still, the Usual Suspects have made a decent effort to cryptographically reduce the value of a stolen phone in recent years.  Moreso the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation, on account of their ongoing war on repairability meaning that a locked-out iThing isn't even much use as a source of spare parts.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #367 on: 11 December, 2023, 03:04:29 pm »
  Moreso the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation, on account of their ongoing war on repairability meaning that a locked-out iThing isn't even much use as a source of spare parts.

yeah, just second hand glue from what I can see in the EweToobs
Everyone's favourite windbreak

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #368 on: 11 December, 2023, 04:21:52 pm »

See also vin locking...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #369 on: 11 December, 2023, 04:26:56 pm »

See also vin locking...

J
je prefere le vin rouge.

« Reply #370 on: 11 December, 2023, 04:28:21 pm »

Traditionally it's teenagers who get mugged for their phones (which is why it's a nonsense that phones make them safer on the way home from school).

Still, the Usual Suspects have made a decent effort to cryptographically reduce the value of a stolen phone in recent years.  Moreso the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation, on account of their ongoing war on repairability meaning that a locked-out iThing isn't even much use as a source of spare parts.
A lot of phones are unlocked by face.

Mug person, grab phone. Hold up to their face <phone unlocks>. Change unlock pin.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #371 on: 11 December, 2023, 06:56:14 pm »
Any operation to change credentials or reset the phone requires unlocking with the PIN.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #372 on: 11 December, 2023, 09:53:02 pm »

A lot of phones are unlocked by face.

Mug person, grab phone. Hold up to their face <phone unlocks>. Change unlock pin.

One of the many reasons that I recommend not using face recognition or finger print for securing a phone.

Also in many jurisdictions police need a court order to get you to give up a password.
 They don't need that to unlock it with face or finger print.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #373 on: 12 December, 2023, 08:20:34 am »
I cannot recall the precise details just now but there was a case perhaps last year? Where people were having their phones stolen from gym lockers.  Somehow those phones were being used to make financial transactions.

« Reply #374 on: 12 December, 2023, 08:30:19 am »
I cannot recall the precise details just now but there was a case perhaps last year? Where people were having their phones stolen from gym lockers.  Somehow those phones were being used to make financial transactions.

Possibly this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62809151

Unlocking not required.