Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2201830 times)

Phil W

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13025 on: 10 June, 2018, 02:51:40 pm »
Completed build of my front dynamo disc braked hub and rim into wheel this morning.  Saddle on seatpost and will add disc rotors to both newly built wheels this afternoon.  Will put tyres on wheels and start building up bike from frame and forks tomorrow.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13026 on: 10 June, 2018, 06:27:49 pm »
Serviced the bearings on the tourer's back wheel.  They hadn't been touched since new in 2009, except for one cone aduystment (Shimano didn't tighten the locknut against the cone properly and it went horribly loose) but were fine.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #13027 on: 11 June, 2018, 12:12:14 am »
Put a bell on the Reid Wayfarer and changed the saddle. Changed the pedals on the Pinnacle. Heavy day's work huh?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

rogerzilla

« Reply #13028 on: 11 June, 2018, 09:20:06 pm »
Cleaned the mechs from the Hewitt ready to go on the LHT (when it turns up).

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #13029 on: 11 June, 2018, 11:41:19 pm »
Made the boxes for the big quiz buttons. A couple of hours on the laser cutter, with enough time as the cut progressed to glue them together. Hopefully they will have welded nicely when I pick them up in the morning from the makerspace.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rogerzilla

« Reply #13030 on: 12 June, 2018, 03:52:53 pm »
LHT frameset turned up so I took it to the LBS for prep* and steerer cutting (they have a 6 day workshop  backlog).  I'm not sure this counts as fettling.

*fork crown and BB need facing to the extent of cleaning paint off; Surly's Taiwanese bike foundry faces them before pwdercoating.  I didn't want the head tube faced as it just rusts sooner and the headset bearings are self-aligning so don't care.  Shimano HT2 BBs are, however, fussy.

« Reply #13031 on: 12 June, 2018, 04:48:03 pm »
Having (some time ago) disassembled a Berthoud saddle and modified the rails to increase the straight, clamping section, I received two seatposts with sufficient set-back for the original shape.  So, replacement rails from Berthoud, another saddle to match the first, and all this fitted to the two Ti bikes.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #13032 on: 12 June, 2018, 05:11:09 pm »
We had some aubergines that needed using up. So I fettled them into baba ganoush. Nom!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Phil W

« Reply #13033 on: 12 June, 2018, 05:21:18 pm »
Fitted full length brake hose and cables to replacement frame build. Adjusted alignment of disc callipers to avoid rotor rub. After first mis diagnosing the uncut brake cable catching the rotor as rub, doh. Hoses are a nice electric blue.  Funnily enough quite by accident I found that if you do the brakes european style the hoses run smoother. Front straight down and onto fork, rear into frame clips without crossing head tube.  I reverted to English style in the end with front brake on the right. But made me think...

« Reply #13034 on: 12 June, 2018, 09:59:07 pm »
Having acquired Bunbury's wheelbuilding stand, i've been working through the fleet and getting those last couple of mm out of the wheels.

And i've fixed the useless front brake on my Pompino - it's been shit for a while. Replaced the rotor, which didn't make any difference. But big discs look cool. Turned out, the pads had glazed over - new pads in and it all works fine.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13035 on: 12 June, 2018, 10:06:18 pm »
Fitted the WTB Freedom Thickslicks that came on an eBay bike, as they looked unworn.  When inflated, they revealed themselves to be in fact unworn, but full of massive gashes in the tread, with some tread separation starting.  So they went in the bin and the (200g lighter, wider and 100% reliable) ancient Marathon Racers went back on.

Don't buy Thickslicks as an urban tyre!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13036 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:49:41 pm »
Straightened the front mudguard on the Sequoia, which had gone slightly askew and started rubbing on the tyre in protest at being asked to ride along the Ridgeway and various other COR yesterday.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Phil W

« Reply #13037 on: 13 June, 2018, 08:01:47 pm »
Installed gear cables on warranty frame replacement. Full length outers and added inline barrel adjusters. Installed bottom bracket, installed cranks, installed front derailleur, installed rear derailleur.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13038 on: 14 June, 2018, 01:28:02 pm »
Yesterday, a new chain and cassette on HK's Condor. I'm not convinced that the BBB cassette and KMC chain shift as nicely as the Shimano equivalents that came off.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13039 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:27:30 am »
Swapped SRAM 11-spd chain for a new Ultegra ditto.  Cassette has around 1400 km on it but should be OK, I'm easy on cassettes - usually get around 7000 km out of them.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13040 on: 16 June, 2018, 04:22:38 pm »
Lubed the chain, topped up the spares/ tool bottle and fitted new gear cables, brake pads, handlebar tape and front tyre on my Moulton in preparation for next weeks' UAF 1000 to Ventoux. I just need to fit a Garmin mount and load up the Weekend Bag before heading off.

Lubed the chain on my fixed. Topped up the spares bag on the Audax tandem with a chain tool and quick link!

Made a couple of brackets (basically Booker rod with nuts and toe straps) to align our separated Moultons down to Eurostar-compliant size within laundry bags without losing any more paint. Those and a couple of luggage straps should finally solve any awkwardness on public transport with the advantage that all the bits and bags are carried on the bike without affecting luggage capacity. It'll take a little time to remove a pedal, mudguards, seatpost and handlebar but easily doable with multitools.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #13041 on: 18 June, 2018, 06:57:48 pm »
Started building up the LHT.  Needs brakes, cables, mudguards, rack and lights* fitting.  It's going to be a much better-looking bike than the Hewitt Cheviot was.  The bars are almost level with the saddle at the moment but I may drop them a bit later.  Better to keep too much steerer to start with.

*I got a new B&M Avy 40 lux (basically a cheaper and newer Cyo)  and 2C rear for less than the price I sold the old Supernova E3 for.

« Reply #13042 on: 18 June, 2018, 08:18:45 pm »
Fitted a bazillion lumen LED light strip under the cupboards above the workbench in the garage. The bench is no longer dingy and my shadow doesn't obscure whatever I am doing.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13043 on: 19 June, 2018, 09:44:59 pm »
Fitted the cantilever brakes on the LHT, after laboriously cleaning the brake bosses back to bare metal.  Just gear cables, chain and rear mudguard left.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13044 on: 19 June, 2018, 09:49:07 pm »
Bodged some 10-turn pots into my bench power supply, greatly improving the precision and tactile effect of the knob-twiddling.  This required some drilling and bracket-fu, as the previous pots were PCB-mount and functioned to hold that PCB (which also has some switches and blinkenlights) against the front panel.  The new pots have a completely incompatible pin arrangement, necessitating wire connections, so mechanical reinforcement had to be provided elsewhere.  Seems to have worked.

Unfortunately, while I now have <0.01 A/V precision on three of the knobs (and - importantly - greatly reduced risk of overshoot due to turning too quickly), I seem to have damaged one of the pots, to the effect that one of the channels now has a Big-Clive-style random voltage roulette function.   :facepalm:

I've ordered a spare; at least I know what I'm doing now...

Phil W

« Reply #13045 on: 19 June, 2018, 10:02:57 pm »
Fitted front dynamo light and rear dynamo light. Used heat shrink to secure front light cable to fork leg. Added fittings to new set of panniers and adjusted them to my rear rack.  Cleaned mudguards from old frame (that broke) and fitted with a bit of bending of stays to fit with rear rack / front disc brake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13046 on: 20 June, 2018, 10:45:24 am »
Watched & learned while the Stannah bloke serviced the 12,000-euro stair-lift doodah that the Inlaw Paw only used once. Batteries were dead, of course. In future we're supposed to go for a ride on it once a week to keep the batteries in fettle.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13047 on: 20 June, 2018, 06:11:41 pm »
Watched & learned while the Stannah bloke serviced the 12,000-euro stair-lift doodah that the Inlaw Paw only used once. Batteries were dead, of course. In future we're supposed to go for a ride on it once a week to keep the batteries in fettle.
My mum used to use theirs to take the hoover upstairs. Until she bought a 2nd hoover to live upstairs.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13048 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:32:02 pm »
Started cutting gear outers to length then realised I'd been sold a counterfeit Shimano set by an eBay scrote.  It's not even compressionless housing, it's spiral wound.  I will put him through the mill for this.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13049 on: 20 June, 2018, 11:16:27 pm »
My mum used to use theirs to take the hoover upstairs. Until she bought a 2nd hoover to live upstairs.
When I moved into my Dad's for a bit I used his to move my (falling apart) box of LPs up, and later, downstairs.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)