Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2204909 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15325 on: 01 November, 2020, 10:29:37 pm »
Re the tyre: Now you’ve got the bead seated with the tube, deflate, and just pop one side off to remove the tube and fit your tubeless valve. With luck only having to seat one bead should be doable.

Since I was trying to restore the tyre to tubeless use from having been using it with a tube in it, that was exactly my approach. The pump is the problem. The faulty valve switch on the pump means it's just not possible to get enough air into the tyre quickly enough. I know it should be possible to get it seated with just a normal track pump but I guess I lack the technique.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15326 on: 01 November, 2020, 10:31:18 pm »
Was watching experts installing a false ceiling hung by wires a few years ago.  ISTR they'd untwist the coils by sticking the wire into the chuck of an electric drill they ran while pulling it out.

Ingenious - but perhaps best left to the experts.  Get it wrong and you might end up with a really knotty problem  ::-)

Had a knotty problem anyway!

I suspect life would have been simpler if the coil had been unwound standing on its side and fed from the coil.

Outdoor rated Cat 6 is thick and stiff!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15327 on: 01 November, 2020, 11:37:20 pm »
Friday night, David decided to route 50 metres of Cat 6 cable from the router in his study to a shed at the far end of the garden.
He'll be streaming from his telescope to National Astronomy Week and Wifi is flaky.
Learned to hard way about the twisting inherent in coils. (I think I knew about this but D had already unpacked the cable.)
Spent a merry few hours untwisiting tangles...

Outdoor rated Cat6 won't have been fun, in that respect.

If it's a shorter length on a reel, by far the best approach is to uncoil it by turning the reel.  Either thread it over a broom handle or something and pull, or secure one end and turn the reel by hand as you pay it out.

You can generally pull cable directly from a 305m box without overly problematic twisting, but there is a bit of a knack involved, and it all goes to pot on tight corners/holes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15328 on: 02 November, 2020, 01:13:53 am »
Every day is a school day!

D kept saying untangling was impossible, which I kept refuting, as I untangled a twist, then untwisted dow to the plug, return to the matted mess, rinse & repeat.

« Reply #15329 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:00:46 am »
Re the tyre: Now you’ve got the bead seated with the tube, deflate, and just pop one side off to remove the tube and fit your tubeless valve. With luck only having to seat one bead should be doable.

Since I was trying to restore the tyre to tubeless use from having been using it with a tube in it, that was exactly my approach. The pump is the problem. The faulty valve switch on the pump means it's just not possible to get enough air into the tyre quickly enough. I know it should be possible to get it seated with just a normal track pump but I guess I lack the technique.

I confess I have to use a "booster" pump even with one bead seated.  Maybe because I'm always working in the cold shed rather than a warm workshop.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15330 on: 02 November, 2020, 01:10:24 pm »

D kept saying untangling was impossible, which I kept refuting, as I untangled a twist, then untwisted dow to the plug, return to the matted mess, rinse & repeat.

The extra credit skill is coiling cable in such a way that you make the twists in alternate directions, so they cancel out:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpuutP6Df84&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/cpuutP6Df84&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/cpuutP6Df84

Naturally this sort of thing is much easier with a nice rubberised audio or power cable, rather than UTP.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #15331 on: 04 November, 2020, 10:37:11 am »
deep-cleaned the bike, serviced jockey wheels, replaced (shiny) chain, cassette, front brake pads.

riding a gritty/skoggy 600 is not too kind for wearing parts

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15332 on: 04 November, 2020, 03:34:46 pm »
Poor man's jointer for short boards:

You don't need a fence if you plane two boards at once.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15333 on: 04 November, 2020, 04:09:14 pm »

Having done that, would you like to come round and have a go with my garden hose? ;)

Despite living on a reel, it always gets twisted and kinked so you have the classic cartoon trope of no water coming out until you stare down the end of it and end up with an eyeful...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #15334 on: 04 November, 2020, 04:49:31 pm »

The extra credit skill is coiling cable in such a way that you make the twists in alternate directions, so they cancel out:

https://youtu.be/cpuutP6Df84

Naturally this sort of thing is much easier with a nice rubberised audio or power cable, rather than UTP.

That looks like a path to madness, you lose twist but gain tangle. I thought the canonical way was figure of eight around the outside of the forearm, then you can tie the end around the middle.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15335 on: 04 November, 2020, 05:01:34 pm »
Poor man's jointer for short boards:

You don't need a fence if you plane two boards at once.

This happened to be on another forum I follow today  https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/homemade-jointer.126177/     (Shouldn't this be in the Tool junkie thread??)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15336 on: 04 November, 2020, 09:20:28 pm »
Put up a satellite dish because the Freeview signal here craps out when it rains, and HD channels rarely work*.  Works well with an old Sky Digibox; signal quality flickers between 90 and 100%, which is better than the last two pro installs I had.

*Swindon is roughly equidistant from the Oxford and Mendip transmitters, and both are weak by the time the signal gets here
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15337 on: 04 November, 2020, 09:34:24 pm »

Having done that, would you like to come round and have a go with my garden hose? ;)

Despite living on a reel, it always gets twisted and kinked so you have the classic cartoon trope of no water coming out until you stare down the end of it and end up with an eyeful...

;D ;D ;D

If I were mobile & had transport, if you were more local and we weren't entering lockdown, I wouldn't have an excuse....

« Reply #15338 on: 04 November, 2020, 10:27:52 pm »
Mudguards. Again.

« Reply #15339 on: 04 November, 2020, 10:55:51 pm »
Stole the lockon grips off the old mountain bike to put on the folder. I discovered last week that the 'leather' grips on the folder are slippery as a slippery thing when wet.

The right grip needed to be a short one as there is a gripshifter on that side. I was considering cutting it down and just having the lockon on one end but there's a hard core under the grip so I just mounted it as is and wrapped a bit of inner tube around the mirror mount which is now in the grip rather than the handlebar. A quick test up and down the road outside and it all seems secure enough.

We'll have to see if the extra 4cm width means I clout too many doorways but if so I can either buy some new grips for that side or cut the current one down. And if it's not a problem then I've saved a few quid.

I also dug out some bar ends as I had a cunning plan to mount them inboard of all the controls to give me a bit of a tucked in position for headwinds as the folder is a very upright posture but I had misremembered them having a hingle clamp so I've left that for now. I couldn't be arsed taking everything off for something that might not work as well as I think it will.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #15340 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:32:59 am »
Sealed. Bloody. Drum. >:(

So I’ve had to order £150 worth of drum just to replace £10 worth of bearings.

Can someone direct me to the rant thread, please? I feel as though I have something to get off my chest.
Well, it cost me £200 in the end, and about 8 hours work, but it’s fixed. Two loads done last night. Very satisfying.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15341 on: 05 November, 2020, 08:48:37 am »
A couple of days ago, replaced the sealant-filled tube on the rear of HK’s MTB commuter after a chunk of glass got stuck in the tyre. She managed to get home fine and the tube was still holding a low pressure days later but the tube was not to be trusted, given the size of the slash. The combination of weight, internal hub and chain tensioner makes roadside tube replacement something to be avoided.

A couple of goop-filled replacement tubes to be ordered.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15342 on: 07 November, 2020, 02:28:16 pm »
Replaced the broken front gear cable on HK’s Roberts (glad that didn’t happen in October).

Replaced the batteries in a taillight on my fixed and tensioned the chain. Swapped out the B17 Std for the Lepper Tourer. The B17 feels very soft in comparison.

Fitted the B17 to the Frezoni in place of a delaminating Rivet Pearl Pass. Whether to rebond the laminates or replace the saddle is something to ponder. The Ultegra rear hub and freehub body looks like they need some attention shortly.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15343 on: 07 November, 2020, 04:40:01 pm »
Non cycle related fettling today. I finally lost patience with the Humax PVR, impressive though it’s spec is, with triple tuners and HDMI-CEC control, and all the jiggery-pokery one can do with remote access etc. etc.. Problem is the OS is dog slow and buggy as hell. Recently, for no reason, when starting up the list of recordings would be absent, requiring a hard reset to bring back. So, it’s still hooked up to the TV and we’ll play back the recordings on it, then I’ll reformat it and stick it in the loft or sell it.

On to the (minor) fettling. That involved setting up the new shiny Manhattan T3-R PVR. Only twin tuners, but the user interface is quick and slick, and if there is something I can’t record due to a clash it has the facility to add to a watch list, which when accessed at a later date, will play the “watched” programme from whichever catch-up app is appropriate. Only downside is the inability to use an external storage device, but I suspect that will come eventually.

ETA forgot to add, set up the bird feeder on the patio outside the kitchen door. Then remembered I buggered up the (horribly expensive) “Squirrel Buster” peanut feeders in the dishwasher earlier in the year, so had to buy some more.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15344 on: 07 November, 2020, 04:50:48 pm »
New washer motor fitted to car, replacement headlamp done the other night, just the bumper to put back together and the Opel of shame can go back to doing nothing by being dad's irritating tax drain.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15345 on: 07 November, 2020, 04:54:32 pm »
Non cycle related fettling today. I finally lost patience with the Humax PVR, impressive though it’s spec is, with triple tuners and HDMI-CEC control, and all the jiggery-pokery one can do with remote access etc. etc.. Problem is the OS is dog slow and buggy as hell. Recently, for no reason, when starting up the list of recordings would be absent, requiring a hard reset to bring back. So, it’s still hooked up to the TV and we’ll play back the recordings on it, then I’ll reformat it and stick it in the loft or sell it.

On to the (minor) fettling. That involved setting up the new shiny Manhattan T3-R PVR. Only twin tuners, but the user interface is quick and slick, and if there is something I can’t record due to a clash it has the facility to add to a watch list, which when accessed at a later date, will play the “watched” programme from whichever catch-up app is appropriate. Only downside is the inability to use an external storage device, but I suspect that will come eventually.

Interesting. Do report on how you get on with that in the longer term?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #15346 on: 07 November, 2020, 05:42:27 pm »
Took advantage of the nice weather to lie underneath the camper sorting out the Webasto blown air heating (quite nice to have in this weather, even if we are a bit limited on travel).
It just needed a new glow pin to get it hot enough to burn the diesel, but that means lying under the van removing air hoses, fuel and exhaust (which was corroded on), then pulling the heater housing off the bottom, and stripping the heater whilst lying under the van as some of the cables are hard wired and not easy to remove to do a table top strip down.Nice and toasty now though, which means it'll be usable for a few nights away I need to for business during lockdown - and whilst hotels are open, I'd rather park up inside the compound at the site I need to be on and be self sufficient and isolated.

« Reply #15347 on: 07 November, 2020, 06:04:41 pm »

Will do. One early plus point, I emailed their support asking for some info before I bought, and had an answer back inside 4 hours. It’s three days and counting since I emailed Humax support. Oh, and the  Manhattan is apparently a UK designed product.

« Reply #15348 on: 07 November, 2020, 08:14:52 pm »
Gave the folder a once over with a soapy sponge and lubed the chain.

Having dug out my old (bought in 2010 and not used since ~2013) battery lights last night and charged them I thought I'd see what life is left after sitting in a box for yonks.

Well they've been on for 9 hours and they're still going. Definitely fainter but hard to judge how much that faintness will translate to the road. Still I'm happy they'll cope with a 2½ hour commute even if I have to charge every night.

That'll do whilst I research new lights to go with my in progress scheme to replace my dynamo wheel with a motor wheel instead.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #15349 on: 07 November, 2020, 08:23:37 pm »

Will do. One early plus point, I emailed their support asking for some info before I bought, and had an answer back inside 4 hours. It’s three days and counting since I emailed Humax support. Oh, and the  Manhattan is apparently a UK designed product.

It's a shame it will only record 2 progs at a time though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.