Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2204640 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #2300 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:31:44 am »
Stripped a fully built up bike to f&f to package them for despatch - about 16 mins ... is that a record?

No. A record is a round thing with a hole in the middle . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2301 on: 06 October, 2010, 10:42:49 am »
No.  A Record is an old Raleigh model.
Getting there...

« Reply #2302 on: 06 October, 2010, 12:44:04 pm »
just going out to clean my chain

« Reply #2303 on: 06 October, 2010, 01:50:59 pm »
Moved my IQ Fly from bodged fork crown bracket to front brake boss. Then checked my front brake cable...which was found frayed down to three strands. Changed that double quick. Hurray for autumn riding!

« Reply #2304 on: 06 October, 2010, 07:56:10 pm »
A nasty creaking noise that I could feel through the pedals when I was putting power in this evening. Groan. Nothing obviously loose or broken. Gave the bottom bracket a little tighten. I'll see how it is tomorrow.

My headlamp isn't going back together now I've put fresh batteries in. You may see me in what have you bought today soon.  ::-)

« Reply #2305 on: 07 October, 2010, 06:23:05 pm »
A nasty creaking noise that I could feel through the pedals when I was putting power in this evening. Groan. Nothing obviously loose or broken. Gave the bottom bracket a little tighten. I'll see how it is tomorrow.

Still nasty and creaky. Looking down I think I see the chain moving side to side as well as round. I've fettled an appointment at the LBS on Monday. So, a pretty weak sort of fettle.  ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2306 on: 07 October, 2010, 06:29:13 pm »
Sometimes it's wise to recognise the limits of your fettlepower and fettle by delegation. Failing to do this can lead to a nasty accident, an unsatisfactory bodge, or... something the likes of which Nutty has nightmares of!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2307 on: 07 October, 2010, 08:54:20 pm »
yes ... or the shame of bringing your incompetence to the bike shop to fix. Done that.  :-[

« Reply #2308 on: 07 October, 2010, 10:35:55 pm »
yes ... or the shame of bringing your incompetence to the bike shop to fix. Done that.  :-[

"What these marks on the inside of the crank spider? That was where I was trying to hit it off using a screwdriver and hammer. Well, if you think cutting a new thread would be a better option by all means let's go with that."

That sort of thing?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2309 on: 07 October, 2010, 11:06:11 pm »
I gave Auntie Helen minor assistance in the eradication of her puncture.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2310 on: 08 October, 2010, 12:52:35 pm »
Last night I placed my square next to the lock nut of my hub and adjusted my vernier caliper to assess the distance to the middle of the flange.  I subtracted this from 50mm which gave me the distance fromt the centre of the hub to the flange. I repeated this from the other end. I measured the distance from opposite spoke holes.  Now I have everything I need to bung in a spoke calculator and order my spokes. Click click click.

Have I messed up?  I measured the spoke hole diameter as 70mm. This morning I looked at the entries for the other hubs of similar type to DH-T665 in spocalc.xls they were 74mm wide. Eeek.  I better check when I get home. I might have ordered the wrong spokes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2311 on: 08 October, 2010, 04:09:25 pm »
Not really fettling, but I've charged some batteries and discovered a cunning use for bungee cord.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2312 on: 08 October, 2010, 04:14:10 pm »
What Kim?
What?
What?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2313 on: 08 October, 2010, 04:17:58 pm »
Attaching one's titanium bling to one's silly-shaped bicycle in a secure and reasonably aerodynamic manner, freeing space in the rack bag for Other Stuff, such that panniers should be unnecessary for this weekend's rides audax folly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2314 on: 08 October, 2010, 06:39:43 pm »
Finally got round to adjusting that ergonomic grip from ungernomic to ergonomic. Yay, no more numb hand..?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2315 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:12:56 pm »
Finally got round to adjusting that ergonomic grip from ungernomic to ergonomic. Yay, no more numb hand..?
It was ungermanic, but now it's thoroughly teutonic?  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2316 on: 08 October, 2010, 10:33:28 pm »
I took my coffee grinder (Gaggia MDF) apart and cleaned out several years' stray grounds from it, and managed to put it back together properly. There's nothing like a clean, smooth-running machine!

« Reply #2317 on: 09 October, 2010, 10:41:05 am »

"What these marks on the inside of the crank spider? That was where I was trying to hit it off using a screwdriver and hammer. Well, if you think cutting a new thread would be a better option by all means let's go with that."

That sort of thing?

Yes, that sort of thing, or ... after I stripped the threads I found that the pedal didn't stay in properly, then I ordered a replacement crank on the net but it turns out that it goes on a different sort of bottom bracket.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2318 on: 09 October, 2010, 04:30:08 pm »
Replaced the 48T chainring on my fixie with a 50T one of these:

Back up to 70" gear (50:19, 170mm cranks, 622-25 tyres).
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #2319 on: 09 October, 2010, 08:45:55 pm »
New bearings in my Goldtec rear hub.

Again.  I must be really hamfisted at fitting the damn things.

« Reply #2320 on: 09 October, 2010, 10:05:57 pm »
The garage door!!   Put a new cable on it, and adjusted the other  so it opens now and I can get my bikes out.  Can move the couple in the shed back into the garage now :thumbsup:

« Reply #2321 on: 10 October, 2010, 10:35:16 am »
After putting together my N+1 http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39104.0
I went to buy lights(some cheap Axa LED with 2xAAA in both front and rear) and speedo(Cateye Enduro 8), and a spare tube. While fettling the valve of my front tube burst so I had good use for the spare immediately. I wasn't too impressed with the rim tapeplastic on the front wheel, so later I went back for two more tubes and rim tape. Will apply them when I will replace the tyres.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #2322 on: 10 October, 2010, 04:32:54 pm »
I fitted the roof rack and bicycle carrier to my car, so I can get the bike oop north for the Friday Night Ride to Somewhere Random.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2323 on: 10 October, 2010, 06:36:28 pm »
Finally replaced the broken rear carrier on my work bike.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2324 on: 10 October, 2010, 06:57:13 pm »
I spent 90 mins tinkering with the Brompton.  Located broken spoke, removed rear wheel, deflated tyre, turned tyre-levers into pingfuckits as the Schwalbe fought back, replaced broken spoke, rounded the flats on the cheese-flavoured spoke nipples, put it all back together (noting how loose and sloppy the hinge was in a lateral direction), scraped mud off, cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, cleaned, pumped rear tyre.

All to turn a 8-minute walk to the bus stop into a 2-minute ride.   For a bus that was 15 minutes late. :facepalm:
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip