Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2206216 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #2750 on: 02 January, 2011, 05:45:15 pm »
Just made a big dent in the pile of holed inner tubes that has moved house with us twice.  I've run out of patches now; time to stop.

Maybe I can help.  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/R_sk7OycjdI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/R_sk7OycjdI&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

« Reply #2751 on: 03 January, 2011, 06:07:58 pm »
Swapped the pedals on the mtb / commuter to flat/SPDs for extra Mrs Dan compatibility and to give them a go myself (usually use crank brothers).
Straightened a back wheel and STI after a small off. I then adjusted the other one as I've had a spot of thumb ache.
A bit of back to work checking and pumping up.

« Reply #2752 on: 03 January, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »
I've taken a round file to some spacers from old Shimano hubs to make them fit the SA S2C axle.

I have also sat down with a couple of bags of nuts and bolts and sorted them into different sizes etc.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

gordon taylor

« Reply #2753 on: 03 January, 2011, 06:24:53 pm »
I blew up the tyres on my daughter's commuter and struggled to get the rusted chain lubricated. I'm not sure I managed the latter. The bike has been pretty much unused for a month due to holidays and snow. I think I'll have to go back with a new chain one evening this week.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2754 on: 03 January, 2011, 06:25:16 pm »
I've cut my hair.
(Or should this be in the "Weight Loss Discussion Thread"?)
My head now looks like this: O:-) White bits round the edge, shiny on top.

Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #2755 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:00:34 pm »
Finished off a pair of wheels for my new winter bike which will be based on RobGuls old Galaxy frame.  I can't decide whether to go with drop randonneur bars and bar end shifters or risers and deore shifters.  It's for winter lane audax pootling hence 32c tyres on ST19 rims, but I will use it with a baby seat too, so there are pros and cons with either approach.  Hmm

« Reply #2756 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:03:19 pm »
Reflectors front and rear on my MTB, I've got lights but can't hurt to have them on too.

Mount for the rear one was too small to fit round the seatpost and fit bolt through so have two zipties onstead of a nut and bolt. Feels like it'll do the job though will keep an eye on them wearing out.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #2757 on: 03 January, 2011, 10:42:41 pm »
Upgraded from a dual fuel Colman lantern to THE NorthStar
But the reflector did'nt fit  ::-)

so squeezed out the captive nut , broke off and filed the flange bits and now it hold's on the reflector  :thumbsup:

Well chuffed  , only took two mins

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2758 on: 04 January, 2011, 07:40:48 pm »
I've molished a Hobby Boards 1-wire hub:

This involved some bastard-fiddly SMD soldering (that's micro-pingfuckit wrangling, to non electronics geeks), which I've never been fantastically good at.  It also involved extracting one of the diodes from underneath the spring contact of the DC in jack, where it had managed to rattle to during shipping.  In spite of this, it worked first time.  Pictured above driving three busses of DS1820 temperature sensors.

« Reply #2759 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:37:42 pm »
I must have had a fettling failure when I last mended my son's rear puncture because he complained his tyre fell off the wheel as he rode to school this morning :(

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #2760 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:40:38 pm »
Look on the bright side, Feline, more fettling tonight !!!!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2761 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:46:44 pm »
I must have had a fettling failure when I last mended my son's rear p*nct*r* because he complained his tyre fell off the wheel as he rode to school this morning :(

That still beats the tyre explosively parting company from the rim and the remains of the tube ending up entangled in the brakes and cassette...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2762 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:34:55 pm »
I got my S3X back in action, thanks to a part from Old Bike Trader, and some valuable advice from young Mr Zilla. :thumbsup:

Now I've got to sort some bikes out & mend a p*nct*re.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2763 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:36:15 pm »
Not strictly fettling but I've just done an inventory of all the battery powered lights I own.
Sixteen :o.In readiness for the purchase of an appropriate number of the various rechargeable  battery sizes & a charger,probably a WizardOne as recommended elsewhere on the forum

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2764 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:40:08 am »
I need to repair a couple of lights, but the superglue was rock solid in the (unopened) bottle >:(

But I did repair the tube, which hadn't got a second p*nct*re, but a Cure-c-cure patch lift off.  I much prefer Tip-Tops, but they are difficult to find. :-\

Also sorted a loose headset, but didn't get the stiff stem freed off :(  Need to give it more attention. And, when I've done that, I need to redo the bartape on that bike.

It never ends...
Getting there...

« Reply #2765 on: 05 January, 2011, 03:33:21 am »
Look on the bright side, Feline, more fettling tonight !!!!

Hehe, in true feline nocturnal stylee I fettled it at 2am  ;D

There was a hole in the tube, I had only replaced it a couple of day ago  :o I think Continental city tyres must be pretty carp but that is what his Kona Smoke came fitted with. At the rate it's getting through tubes I might have to buy him some more robust tyres soon!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2766 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:35:01 pm »
By following <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dz-3PfboKTw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Dz-3PfboKTw&rel=1</a>, I have successfully replaced a 50g 24-tooth sprocket with a 275g 26-tooth brushed aluminium vision of loveliness.

The circlip had exceptional ping-youch-fuckit potential.

It had better be a vision of loveliness, because an extra 225 grams (that's half a pound in old money) is a lot for two extra teeth.

I'll put the wheel back in the bike tomorrow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2767 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:32:44 pm »
I've just replaced the brake blocks on the tandem (those Swissstop blue don't half last - 6000 miles out of that set), I've put Mrs. Wow's saddle back on (she's a shade taller than my last stoker, the lovely Crinklylion) and put some handdlebar foam on the stoker's bars. That KY jelly's good stuff. Does it have any other uses than bike fettling?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2768 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:49:35 pm »

It had better be a vision of loveliness, because an extra 225 grams (that's half a pound in old money) is a lot for two extra teeth.

50g for 24t cog?  Are you sure about that measurement?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2769 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:50:25 pm »
That KY jelly's good stuff. Does it have any other uses than bike fettling?

Conductive gel for homemade electrocardiogram pads.  Feel free to ask how I know this.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2770 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:53:20 pm »
That KY jelly's good stuff. Does it have any other uses than bike fettling?

Conductive gel for homemade electrocardiogram pads.  Feel free to ask how I know this.

How do you know this?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2771 on: 06 January, 2011, 04:42:21 pm »
Put a new battery in a Cateye Micro wireless computer

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2772 on: 06 January, 2011, 05:14:27 pm »
Just fitted a tyre boot to the rear tyre.  Where the cut was you can see the white of the boot inside, no bloomin wonder I've had 2 punctures in the last 2 outings.  The rest of the tyre is in perfect nick  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2773 on: 06 January, 2011, 05:15:35 pm »

How do you know this?

I molished one for a GCSE project, and it mostly worked.  I highly recommend it if you have a love of finicky op-amps and covering yourself in micropore tape.

It's also really cool to be able to put the operating theatre anteroom nurse in their place when they mis-read geekiness as anxiety when they connect you to the "special telly for monitoring your heart".   :facepalm:

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2774 on: 06 January, 2011, 08:04:03 pm »

50g for 24t cog?  Are you sure about that measurement?
Yup.  Just measured it again on an antique balance.  It's closer to 50g than to 55g.

However, it's not a conventional cog.  It's a belt-drive sprocket for a Nexus hub, and it must be made of extremely-lightium, as it's *goes off to hunt for ruler* 87mm diameter, and 13mm deep. The central web is only 3mm thick, and has lots of holes drilled in it.  Let's see if my camera can do it justice:

The lugs where the sprocket drives the innards of the hub have been graunched by ten months of commuting.  The smart black anodising has given way to metal.