Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2204637 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #6725 on: 14 December, 2012, 01:42:06 pm »
Back wheel fettled into a new project.

Original tyre just a touch too big, so needed to go and buy some smaller ones (first were Hurricanes at 42mm, second set M+ at 32mm).

Now need a stem and I can fit everything else.  Typically the forks are 1" steerer and it's Ahead, so don't have ANY stems that fit :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6726 on: 14 December, 2012, 01:52:03 pm »
Could you shim a 1 1/8 stem? One of my quill-ahead converters came as a 1" and had a shim to take it up to 1 1/8. It's not even noticable in use
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

« Reply #6727 on: 14 December, 2012, 01:54:42 pm »
I should say OR shims.... :(  I was in the LBS earlier, had thought to ask but completely forgot whilst I was there!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6728 on: 14 December, 2012, 07:29:41 pm »
Fettled some tinsel and a little Christmas tree on to the bike in preparation for tomorrow's ride. Annoyingly, I appear to have lost my multicoloured fairy lights. >:(

« Reply #6729 on: 14 December, 2012, 09:47:47 pm »
I fettled simonp's bedroom. I am hoping the cats don't decide to jump on the windowsill in the next couple of hours until the undercoat is dry. I have turned his house into a mini zoo with 2 cats and 2 dogs for the weekend  :D

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6730 on: 14 December, 2012, 10:07:51 pm »
I have replaced the front mech. So I should be in full christmas tree collecting mode tomorrow.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #6731 on: 15 December, 2012, 01:11:55 pm »
Fitted a computer to Migg's trike and adjusted her panniers to fit.

« Reply #6732 on: 16 December, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »
Swapping the studded tyres on Vince back over to slicks, and trying to find the cause of the multiple punctures in the rear wheel, that defeated me on the way home last week (resulting in me resorting to stopping every ten minutes or so to pump the tyre back up).

Of course, ice and snow will now inexplicably appear in the forecasts!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6733 on: 16 December, 2012, 08:58:52 pm »
New cones on the front Record hub after I unwittingly managed to shag the last pair.

New cleats on the road shoes.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6734 on: 16 December, 2012, 09:08:03 pm »
Miscellaneous bits of fiddling on the Green Machine after yesterday's (off)road test - nothing drastic, just little odds and ends like tightening of bolts etc.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6735 on: 17 December, 2012, 03:50:48 pm »
Painting Miss Z the elder's bedroom.  I also had it in the back of my mind that I ought to check the wiring to the electric sockets (I had some trouble making the connections when I replaced a cracked socket years ago, because the builders left no slack in the cables), but it turned out to be perfectly secure.

Also went to the tip to dump/recycle the old carpet, a set of BMW brake discs (very heavy), some old engine oil and a load of Blue Willow crockery which attracted zero interest on fleaBay.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6736 on: 17 December, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
De-fettling the kitchen tiled floor using a man-toy SDS drill and chisel. Very noisy and dusty, but infinitely faster than doing the downstairs cloakroom which had the same kind of tiles and we did manually with hammer and chisel a couple of months ago. The builders have been in for a few days taking down the wall between the kitchen and the pokey utility corridor (which involved sorting out the gas pipe for the hob, which came up from under the concrete floor up that wall), putting in power where we need it in the kitchen, replacing the fuse box with a consumer unit, separating out all the wiring sensibly so a fault doesn't take out the whole house and providing the paperwork for the Part P regs for the kitchen wiring and the house wiring check.

My christmas break is going to involve fitting the new kitchen.

« Reply #6737 on: 17 December, 2012, 05:42:45 pm »
The rear brake on my MTB felt spongy and not very good so oiled the cable and now I can lock the rear wheel up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6738 on: 17 December, 2012, 08:21:05 pm »
On Saturday morning, I fettled the Circe so I could pilot and Butterfly stoke.  In the evening, I fettled Elder Cub's BMX brakes so they actually worked.
Getting there...

« Reply #6739 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:14:52 pm »
Yesterday, with tweaks today - mud flaps on the rather inadequate mudguards on the folder. That should ensure dry weather for a bit :thumbsup:  ... all I need to do now is clean off the mud I picked up beforehand  ::-)

One is of the semi-rigid bend a couple of tabs round the guard sort, which gets knocked a bit easily for my liking, but the guard ends before being at 9 o'clock. That may need re-fettled.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6740 on: 18 December, 2012, 12:14:40 am »
I started to recycle an old cassette as a christmas tree sculpture. Unfortunately I was being rather cackhanded about it and rapidly decided to give up before I set the garage on fire. 9-speed cassette sprockets deform quite dramatically under heat. Take 2 at the weekend.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6741 on: 18 December, 2012, 07:31:26 am »
Yesterday got a txt from a friend. She'd dropped her laptop and it had stopped working and could I pop in on the way home to have a look.

I pop in and have a look.

Power on, BIOS screen runs. Then error message about missing OS. Hmm. Could be borked. 

But what's this? The cover for the HDD is missing, and has been for some time. The HDD protrudes from the side of the laptop , perhaps further than it should. Push it back in and FOOM!, the laptop, she works!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #6742 on: 18 December, 2012, 08:53:32 pm »
This year's batch of damson gin

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #6743 on: 18 December, 2012, 09:00:08 pm »
Hurrah!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6744 on: 18 December, 2012, 10:35:04 pm »
Rearranged furniture and stuff, threw out lots of old cardboard and stuff, to make more room for bikes, books, clothes and other items. Oh, and people. Tightened a seat post clamp, having worked out it was not the saddle clamp creaking. Patched a puncture. Washed my bike to the cleanest it's been since probably early October. And we have a ginger cake, but I didn't make it and it's not for eating yet.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

« Reply #6745 on: 19 December, 2012, 02:37:38 pm »
Dish washing, clothes washing, last of Xmas shopping (if I haven't bought you a present now, you aren't getting one!)

Tomorrow is present wrapping day half hour, then onto trying to decide if I do flat bars and 8speed Nexus or drop bars and Ultegra on the new project (I don't really want to shell out shedloads of money on it, so buying some versa levers is out!)

« Reply #6746 on: 19 December, 2012, 07:31:47 pm »
I fettled Simon's powertap wheel onto my Fuji, and paired his Garmin Edge that I have also abducted to replace my duff-batteried one with my HR monitor and cad sensor. If I actually ride tomorrow I will be able to collect a stupid amount of data just to prove how epic crap I really am  ;D

I was caught red handed washing a bike wheel in the kitchen sink by non-cycling daughter and declared 'not normal'  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6747 on: 19 December, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »
Yeah, that's weird.  Normal people wash them in the bath.   :D

« Reply #6748 on: 19 December, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »
Yeah, that's weird.  Normal people wash them in the bath.   :D

Yeah you have a point there, it didn't really fit so I got water everywhere then had to wash the worktop. At least that's its annual clean sorted!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6749 on: 19 December, 2012, 07:53:03 pm »
Tell her you're doing "grits" for tea.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.