Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2204586 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #6800 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:01:04 pm »
Fastened the EldestCub's bonehead lights (the ones that turned up in his Santa stocking) onto the bmx.

« Reply #6801 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:33:41 pm »
I removed a substantial quantity of the River Welland from the bottom bracket area of my mountain bike.  I should probably have done this immediately after last Sunday's full speed ahead session through the floods rather than waiting until today.  I also persuaded the cranks to rotate somewhat better than they were doing but they still don't feel right.  I have ordered a whole new crankset as the rings needed replacing too.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6802 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:04:53 pm »
I retightened the screw that holds on the jockey wheel on the chain tensioner as I think it's supposed to guide the chain, not the chain hold it on the spindle :-[

Now about to try and cure the squeal from the tourer's front brakes and re-index the gears on the raleigh after switching wheels a few days ago.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

John Henry

« Reply #6803 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:08:50 pm »
MrsH was absolutely delighted when I discovered that our remodelled kitchen (silly little adjacent utility room removed to make one much larger kitchen) is big enough to have a bike on a workstand being fettled by me whilst she makes our evening meal

I think I might be worried about cross-contamination.... She might spill food on the bike.

« Reply #6804 on: 04 January, 2013, 10:06:12 pm »
New gear levers on Miss Dan the Elder's bike. It is still quite stiff, but I hope she finds it easier tomorrow.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6805 on: 05 January, 2013, 10:03:33 am »
Unsuccessful attempt to replace the gas hob in the kitchen.  I thought it was all on compression fittings but late father in law seems to have welded it in.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #6806 on: 05 January, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »
Fitted my new Fenderbot to the Ridgeback. All good.

Of course, while the bike was on the stand I noticed how grubby the chain had become so spent half an hour de-gunking.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6807 on: 06 January, 2013, 01:21:07 pm »
As the front tyre appears to have become a thorn magnet I decided to swap the tyres on the Inbred, from 50-622 to 55-622 (from 2" to 2.15")

They now look MASSIVE! Although, obviously, not as massive as the ones on IZ's Pugsley.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6808 on: 06 January, 2013, 01:23:12 pm »
Just changed the rim cylinder lock barrel on the front door.   Have some concealed bolts to install now.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6809 on: 06 January, 2013, 02:37:29 pm »
Put v brakes, levers & handlebar tape on the Pompino.

Put mudguards back on Van Nick.

« Reply #6810 on: 06 January, 2013, 03:35:14 pm »
Adjusted the position of the brake levers on my fixed wheel, so I can ride on the hoods in more comfort. Hopefully this will lead to me riding it more frequently.

I also fitted it with a spiffy new Carradice Pendle.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6811 on: 06 January, 2013, 03:54:30 pm »
Broke two sets of tyre levers.

And caused a small but exciting flare in the hearth by tossing an empty tube of glue in there.

On the plus side, I can give No2Daughter a lift home.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6812 on: 06 January, 2013, 04:01:32 pm »
Broke two sets of tyre levers.

Glad it's not just me who does that...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6813 on: 06 January, 2013, 04:12:07 pm »
Adjust the bearings on an Alfine hub which involves removing the disc to access the cone. As I had to remove the locknut to remove the disk (Shimano Centrelock) as my cassette tool - they're the same fitting -  I then realised that I couldn't refix the disc once I'd tightened the locknut. So it's off to the LBS first thing.

« Reply #6814 on: 06 January, 2013, 04:48:20 pm »
Adapter leads, made from some of the contents of my electric bits box.

1) 2.5mm DC power plug to PP3 clip, so I can plug my Dinotte light into my collection of Vistalite Nightstick batteries
2) PP3 clip to 2.1mm DC power socket, so I can plug my Magicshine light into a 6 x AA battery box which I happen to have, filled with six matching AA Nimh batteries I also happen to have.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #6815 on: 06 January, 2013, 05:42:30 pm »
Chain n' tyre check on the Pomp pre next week's commute.

Chain slack, now rectified.
Tyres deflated, and crud removed.
Jeez, these Armadilldo Roubaix are cutting up badly. Well before their retirement date.
Londres roads, eh?  ::-)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6816 on: 06 January, 2013, 05:57:54 pm »
Yesterday:

Cleaned nearly to DETH: 1 x Magenta Mercian, 1 x RatBike fixie.

Cleaned and lubed chain from RatBike.

Fixed front wheel visitation in fixie.

Went flint mining in tyres of bikes listed above.

Today:

Cleaned Mrs. Hall's bike.

Cleaned and lubed her chain.

Flint mining in tyres and superglued large cut in same.

Visited Mr Hall (Sen) and replaced blind in "my" room that a visiting niece had borked.  General consensus was that it's better for me to go clambering on desks and step ladders than Mr. Hall (Sen), who, despite exhibiting the Peter Pan gene, is 85.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6817 on: 06 January, 2013, 07:14:09 pm »
Swapped bracket for broken light for bracket for new unbroken light.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #6818 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:31:45 am »
Put the chain glider back on the Thorn in preparation for a few official visits with my new Scouting role.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6819 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:39:24 pm »
Stem and brake work last night: -

- Flipped the stem (down) on the horizon (which now makes the seat feel too low ???)
 - Put new "baby bear's" stem on the raleigh (130mm was too long, 100mm was too short, 120mm is just right :) )

- Replaced the rear pads (and blocks) on raleigh
 - Played around with toeing and stopped kool stops from sqealing so much on horizon (not perfect though)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6820 on: 08 January, 2013, 03:18:46 pm »
As the front tyre appears to have become a thorn magnet I decided to swap the tyres on the Inbred, from 50-622 to 55-622 (from 2" to 2.15")

They now look MASSIVE! Although, obviously, not as massive as the ones on IZ's Pugsley.
I think this must be a general 'thing' with larger 29er tyres - I've got 2.2s on the green Genesis and they look bloody enormous1

1 - except when I stand the bike next to Pugsley, obviously2 ;D
2 - although there's possibility that Pugsley might get more comical as I'm currently considering running a Big Fat Larry3 tyre on the front for Severe Bogtrotting duties.
3 - a mere 26x4.7"

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6821 on: 08 January, 2013, 03:35:23 pm »
- although there's possibility that Pugsley might get more comical as I'm currently considering running a Big Fat Larry3 tyre on the front for Severe Bogtrotting duties.
3 - a mere 26x4.7"

So half 'extra-fat' then :)

Will a BFL fit in a standard Pugs fork?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6822 on: 08 January, 2013, 03:40:28 pm »
- although there's possibility that Pugsley might get more comical as I'm currently considering running a Big Fat Larry3 tyre on the front for Severe Bogtrotting duties.
3 - a mere 26x4.7"

Interesting question - a 'regular' bike with a fat front-end seems to be referred to as 'half-fat', so what do you call a fat-bike with an extra-fat front end? Half-morbidly-obese? Half-lardy?

Will a BFL fit in a standard Pugs fork?
Not sure - mine has a Moonlander fork anyway ;)

I'm sure I've read somewhere that someone has managed to put BFLs on a stock Pugsley but I'd imagine that chain clearance at the back would be a major issue unless you're running SS/fixed/IGH.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6823 on: 08 January, 2013, 03:54:31 pm »
3 - a mere 26x4.7"

Interesting question - a 'regular' bike with a fat front-end seems to be referred to as 'half-fat', so what do you call a fat-bike with an extra-fat front end? Half-morbidly-obese? Half-lardy?

Pearshaped? :)

« Reply #6824 on: 08 January, 2013, 04:09:19 pm »

.....Severe Bogtrotting duties.

This may help