Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2205329 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #9200 on: 06 May, 2014, 11:34:20 am »
Fettle fail yesterday.

Went to sort out the rear  hub on the commuter, when I came to it everything was loose. No problem I have a Shimano tech leaflet showing the exploded diagram. Take all to bits, clean. Line up the 'sploded diagram. I have several more bits :(

do a reasonable job getting it ride-able, take in to the very nice http://www.londonbicycle.com/repair-shop-contact-details this morning.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #9201 on: 06 May, 2014, 11:37:28 am »
I find that knocking the left over parts down the back of the work bench and whistling gently usually works. Not having enough parts is more of a concern.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9202 on: 06 May, 2014, 11:51:47 am »
Another seat swap on the fixie beki. My arse is not that comfortable on a turbo saddle.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9203 on: 06 May, 2014, 12:28:09 pm »
we don't have room to safely burn it.

Incinerator? Twenty quid, and (given a suitably large paella pan) can also provide the heat source for outdoor paella cooking.

Having thought this through a bit more last night, it occurs to me that the large pile of unused breeze blocks that's sitting out back could be used to construct something functionally similar.

Shredder and compost heap is a more expensive, longer term alternative.

I refuse to own (or indeed rent) a compost heap.  Too many bad experiences.

« Reply #9204 on: 06 May, 2014, 12:37:12 pm »
yesterday,  a day of engine related fettling:

2 o-rings on the car to (hopefully) solve an annoying oil leak, but to get to them necessitated removing the inlet manifold  :facepalm:, and a new flasher relay to allow the flashers to actually flash

And a new 'ignition module' on the petrol strimmer as it had no spark. Still a pain to start mind... >:(
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Vince

« Reply #9205 on: 06 May, 2014, 01:39:08 pm »
Shredder and compost heap is a more expensive, longer term alternative.

I refuse to own (or indeed rent) a compost heap.  Too many bad experiences.

It's probably wrong to mention that I put all the hedge clippings on the path and then run the mower back and forth over them and till they are all shredded and in the collecting box. Saves a lot of space and things poking through the bin bags.
Recommended not to wear shorts and open toe sandals, probably also leads to a reduced mower life expectancy.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9206 on: 07 May, 2014, 12:29:01 am »
With a bit of bending and adjusting (and changing cable run) I've managed to get the raleigh back shifting again. It's not as smooth as I'd like but at least it will work until I can get round to buying a new rear mech.

Also fettled lights and a GPS mount onto it so that I can go for a decent ride tomorrow after work :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9207 on: 10 May, 2014, 10:49:20 pm »
Replaced HK's knackered 34t chainring on her MTB with a SS jobbie, centred the front wheel and adjusted both brakes.

De-gunged the LH STI lever on her Condor and tweaked the rear derailleur. May have to replace the chain and cassette soon and it looks like the Cyo doesn't switch off any more. Probably time to swap some Cyo's around tomorrow.

Pulled the tyres and tubes off HK's Ti bike.

Fitted new handlebar tape to my fixed, cleaned out the brake pads and had another go at stopping the Miche cogs from coming loose. The test ride seemed ok.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9208 on: 11 May, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »
Changed the oil in HK's Alfine on her Condor and swapped a couple of Cyos between bikes. Pumped half a dozen soft tyres and replaced the batteries in a Pixeo. Replaced the chain and cassette on HK's Moulton, trimmed a mudguard flap and need to replace the Campag rear mech barrel adjuster (yet another broken adjuster, travelling is tough on bikes).

Reassembled my Moulton with a new seatpost. Replaced some tyres and fitted a pump to a Longstaff. Fitted a new Cyo to my Frezoni. Still have to fiddle with a couple of rear lights and need to buy a batch of mudguard lights again.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9209 on: 11 May, 2014, 10:06:20 pm »
Swapped the right hand lever on the winter bike so it matches the left. All works.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #9210 on: 12 May, 2014, 10:08:53 am »
Fettled the brakes on the Orange Blueberry, so they no longer squeel like our cats did at the vets on Saturday.

Also fitted a Crudguard to the front, one won't go on the back due to the rack.

Ready for commuting now.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #9211 on: 12 May, 2014, 02:20:07 pm »
Yesterday I replaced the worn flat tyre on the rear wheel.  Meanwhile the chain had become 'knotted'.  Sorted everrthing out. Ten minute job.  Half hour hand washing.

tiermat

« Reply #9212 on: 12 May, 2014, 02:31:10 pm »
Decided to go a bit further with the Orange Blueberry.

Fitted Titec H-bars and lights.

I quite like those H-bars (designed by Jack Jones for Titec)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #9213 on: 12 May, 2014, 02:40:45 pm »
Decided to go a bit further with the Orange Blueberry.

Fitted Titec H-bars and lights.

I quite like those H-bars (designed by Jeff Jones for Titec)
FTFY.

tiermat

« Reply #9214 on: 12 May, 2014, 02:45:59 pm »
Nah, mine have a Hawaiian surf pop feel to them :)

OK, then you are right...

Oh and I have just realised I have put the brake levers in the wrong place.  Might try them where they are for a while then move if it doesn't work...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #9215 on: 12 May, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »
More a question of 'what have I unfettled today?'

Since my plan to fit a Surly Troll fork (c/w bottle cage mounts on the legs) to the 1x1 has hit the buffers due to an unacceptably large difference in axle-to-crown height (Troll fork is 453mm, my 1x1 is 413mm - 4mm difference I could probably cope with, 40mm most definitely not) I'm stripping the 1x1 down so I can send the fork off to Bob Jacksons for a bit of surgery (add bottle cage mounts, remove canti tabs 'cos I don't use them, respray forks black and add Surly decals)

I seem to be doing a lot of forking about at the moment - the two Genesis MTBs should be ready within the next couple of days (Pugsley fork on the Fortitude, Fargo fork on the High Latitude) and the Disc Trucker fork I ordered for the Croix de Fer should be here fairly shortly too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9216 on: 12 May, 2014, 03:25:37 pm »
Put the SMP in the sell-down-the-river queue and restored my venerable San Marco Aero to its rightful seatpost.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9217 on: 12 May, 2014, 09:56:08 pm »
Gave the chain on the Dave Yates a clean, and waved a brush at the rest of it, though a bit half-heartedly. A clean chain was the main thing. And I had to re-tighten the chain, which was a bit slack. More than a bit, really.

And I cleaned the stem-clamp interface, as it's been a bit creaky.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9218 on: 12 May, 2014, 10:32:26 pm »
That bloomin' drone again. I got a bit exuberant with a new control set and made it do a flip at low altitude, pinging a motor clean out of its mounting.  An hour of muttering and dainty solderwerk and all is good. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9219 on: 13 May, 2014, 10:46:50 am »
Another seat swap on the fixie beki. My arse is not that comfortable on a turbo saddle.

Wow, how can a specialized mtb saddle and one that is so thin, thinner than the turbo saddle, be so comfortable.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #9220 on: 14 May, 2014, 03:37:56 pm »
I've finally taken the winter tyres off my bike.  :-[

It's so quiet!

Vince

« Reply #9221 on: 14 May, 2014, 09:05:41 pm »
Replaced the burnt out brake light bulb on the car.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #9222 on: 14 May, 2014, 09:47:48 pm »
In preparation for this year's jaunt to
Quote from: Noggin the Nog
the lands of the North, where the Black Rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long the Men of the Northlands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale...
I
- replaced not-all-that-worn tyres with new marathons. No blood was spilled and I fitted one using my bare hands.
- fitted new chain and cassette. For the first time ever I used a Pamir Hypercracker to remove the old one. I must have had it 20+ years and I thought I'd better find out how to use it. The next time I use it might be somewhere in Lapland without recourse to 'how to use a pamir hypercracker' youtube videos or woollypig's blog Meet the Hypercracker.
- fitted front low-riders pannier racks. This always turns out harder than it should be.

First trial pack and load takes place tomorrow.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Chris N

« Reply #9223 on: 14 May, 2014, 09:53:10 pm »
Replaced a stripped screw on my socket set ratchet with a larger one.  Much drilling, tapping and filing was needed but it's as good as new now. :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9224 on: 14 May, 2014, 09:54:47 pm »
NOT replaced the broken Campag rear mech cable adjuster on HK's Moulton. Campag has changed the adjuster thread between 8/9sp mechs and 10sp mechs. What bastard offspring of an Italian engineer thought that was the right thing to do?