Linked Events

• YACF Not the Coronation Camping Weekend: 05 May, 2023 - 07 May, 2023

Author Topic: YACF Not The Coronation Camping Weekend Etherley Farm 5-8May 2023  (Read 21002 times)

Re: YACF Not The Coronation Camping Weekend Etherley Farm 5-8May 2023
« Reply #75 on: 06 April, 2023, 11:39:31 am »
This is not a million miles away from me but I'm unfortunately already away on that weekend (I was quick to book at take advantage of the extra day off).

There is YACF history on this campsite, from when it was much more basic. Charlotte's Zombocaplypse ride went here and the Pikes dressed up as zombies after dark and attacked us. It's now got much better facilities including a half decently-stocked shop. It was my first camp as an adult following a disaster of a DofE trip when I had a terrible time and vowed never to camp again. I shared a tent with Regulator because I had no tent of my own. Another forummer along for the camp (who had never met Regulator or presumably really read his posts) implied this was because we were having an affair. Ahem.

We cycled from Wellington Arch in central London after work on Friday. I had my flexy mixte frame loaded with far too much gear. On the way down White Down the back of the bike decided it wanted to overtake the front. Noises were made. Especially at the sharp bend.

At the bottom of White Down, Julian turned to me and said 'I had two thoughts going down that. One was: I think I'm going to shit myself. The other was: Laura is not going to like this.' Julian wasn't wrong (teh Julian is always right). The next day Regulator and I said sod the hills and went home from Ockley.

Have a lovely time all.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #76 on: 06 April, 2023, 11:50:45 am »
This is not a million miles away from me but I'm unfortunately already away on that weekend (I was quick to book at take advantage of the extra day off).

There is YACF history on this campsite, from when it was much more basic. Charlotte's Zombocaplypse ride went here and the Pikes dressed up as zombies after dark and attacked us. It's now got much better facilities including a half decently-stocked shop. It was my first camp as an adult following a disaster of a DofE trip when I had a terrible time and vowed never to camp again. I shared a tent with Regulator because I had no tent of my own. Another forummer along for the camp (who had never met Regulator or presumably really read his posts) implied this was because we were having an affair. Ahem.

We cycled from Wellington Arch in central London after work on Friday. I had my flexy mixte frame loaded with far too much gear. On the way down White Down the back of the bike decided it wanted to overtake the front. Noises were made. Especially at the sharp bend.

At the bottom of White Down, Julian turned to me and said 'I had two thoughts going down that. One was: I think I'm going to shit myself. The other was: Laura is not going to like this.' Julian wasn't wrong (teh Julian is always right). The next day Regulator and I said sod the hills and went home from Ockley.

Have a lovely time all.

Lordy - that brings back memories!   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #77 on: 06 April, 2023, 11:57:27 am »
I wonder if any beans will be involved.

Sam
Beans?

The pagan iconography made me wonder about associated rituals.

There is the tale of how, in Ye Olden Tiems [TM], there would be a grand feast, and as part of that feast someone would find himself in possession of a black bean (or stone). He became King for a time, and was fêted accordingly. But then, when the time was up, when the land went back to sleep and needing feeding in its slumber, to ensure a fertile harvest the following season, well then. The possessor of the bean might not feel so enamoured of his luck.

Sam
I'm glad you explained that as I could only think of Jack and the Beanstalk or a typo for bears!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 06 April, 2023, 11:59:42 am »
Zombies *and* BEARS?

Regulator

« Reply #79 on: 06 April, 2023, 12:25:50 pm »
I shall consult with Mr R and see what is planned for that weekend.

If I can come it will be be car, given my ticker at the moment.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #80 on: 06 April, 2023, 12:28:25 pm »
Zombies *and* BEARS?
It it's a zombie, run as fast as you can. if it's a bear, play dead. What could possibly go wrong?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #81 on: 06 April, 2023, 12:37:07 pm »
What if it's a zombie bear?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #82 on: 06 April, 2023, 12:57:30 pm »
If it's a zombie bear, cover one lucky person in honey, who then gets licked to death.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #83 on: 06 April, 2023, 01:36:46 pm »
Which brings us to the key question: are there zombie bears in Surrey?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #84 on: 06 April, 2023, 01:43:27 pm »

Have a lovely time all.
IIRC C & J left the campsite and cycled straight to London where they met me for the WNBR. Somewhere I have photos of them with a large hockey stick emerging from a pannier.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #85 on: 06 April, 2023, 03:34:59 pm »
Not yet, but there will be by 9th May.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #86 on: 06 April, 2023, 03:53:51 pm »
Not yet, but there will be by 9th May.
I,for one, welcome our undead Ursine overlords.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #87 on: 06 April, 2023, 03:56:20 pm »
May I recommend Jeff Vendermeer's BORNE?

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #88 on: 08 April, 2023, 09:44:46 am »
3 nights booked. I'll be riding there.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #89 on: 08 April, 2023, 09:51:05 pm »
Apollos care home has booked us for weekend and John from Romford should be joining us. I have packed the camping gear in the cycle trailer and am all ready to go   ;). I've even worked out the route. Roll on May  :D
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #90 on: 11 April, 2023, 05:31:54 pm »
Hmm. I might see if I can wrangle this one.
Not sure about logistics yet though.
California Dreaming

« Reply #91 on: 11 April, 2023, 08:24:46 pm »
I think this is a must do! Just need to do some planning, bike fettling and get fit so nothing to worry about at all!
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #92 on: 11 April, 2023, 08:38:42 pm »
Zombies *and* BEARS?
It it's a zombie, run as fast as you can. if it's a bear, play dead. What could possibly go wrong?

“Playing dead is ALWAYS the wrong action if a black bear attacks you.  Instead, fight for your life. Kick, punch, hit the bear with rocks or sticks or any improvised weapon you can find.  A bear that attacks may be an extremely rare predatory bear that stalks prey or attacks from behind. The bear may not even display defensive behavior like huffing or slapping the ground with a paw. Instead, its’ ears and head may be held low and its’ eyes focused directly on you. NEVER RUN. This might encourage a bear’s predatory instinct. (Note, if you visit grizzly bear country, playing dead could work in certain instances). ”

« Reply #93 on: 11 April, 2023, 08:43:42 pm »
Zombies *and* BEARS?

“Playing dead is ALWAYS the wrong action if a black bear attacks you.  Instead, fight for your life. Kick, punch, hit the bear with rocks or sticks or any improvised weapon you can find.  A bear that attacks may be an extremely rare predatory bear that stalks prey or attacks from behind. The bear may not even display defensive behavior like huffing or slapping the ground with a paw. Instead, its’ ears and head may be held low and its’ eyes focused directly on you. NEVER RUN. This might encourage a bear’s predatory instinct. (Note, if you visit grizzly bear country, playing dead could work in certain instances). ”

Will this work with Winnie the Pooh? We're not going to be too far from when he was last seen......
Reine de la Fauche

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #94 on: 11 April, 2023, 09:16:47 pm »
Zombies *and* BEARS?

Will this work with Winnie the Pooh? We're not going to be too far from when he was last seen......
Opportunity for an expotition pootle to the North Pole?

« Reply #95 on: 12 April, 2023, 08:03:15 am »
Watch out for the Chinese military though.  They seem to have it in for Pooh.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #96 on: 12 April, 2023, 12:43:36 pm »
North Pole?  That's Hammersmith, isn't it?  Risk of coronation entanglements in That London...

Regulator

« Reply #97 on: 12 April, 2023, 01:30:17 pm »
I have booked...  :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #98 on: 12 April, 2023, 01:34:56 pm »
North Pole?  That's Hammersmith, isn't it?  Risk of coronation entanglements in That London...
I hadn't thought of the train spotter connection. VG!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #99 on: 12 April, 2023, 03:49:22 pm »
Apollos care home has booked us for weekend and John from Romford should be joining us. I have packed the camping gear in the cycle trailer and am all ready to go   ;). I've even worked out the route. Roll on May  :D

Has she booked? And won't she object?