Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 877040 times)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2950 on: 17 January, 2013, 07:49:20 pm »
Don't seem to be getting on with the bars/brakes combination on the (otherwise great) new fixed bike, so taking the opportunity to give bullhorns a try.  Annoyingly, couldn't find a brake lever option I liked that won't require travel agents or switching from V-brakes to cantis.  Given my past canti experiences, the travel agents are first up!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2951 on: 17 January, 2013, 08:27:52 pm »
Got 90% of the way through molishing a set of extra-strong cattlegrid-rated mirror mounts for the baraktacycle, and discovered that my supply of M5 stainless nuts and bolts (as needed to attach them) has been mysteriously depleted.  Have ordered a bag from an ebay seller and expect the paint to have dried nicely by the time they arrive.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2952 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:06:29 am »
Kim, I find Ripon Engineer Services a good place to buy such things from, especially in bulk (they have an ebay shop and a web site)

I appear to have bought a lovely tiny ickle (45cm) Roberts Orbit in 531!!!! Note to self try and remember WHAT you have bought :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2953 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:52:16 am »
Caved in and ordered a Luxus B from Rose.  Hopefully that's it for bike bits for a while!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2954 on: 18 January, 2013, 01:25:11 pm »
New back wheel arrived! Looks like a fettling session is due this weekend.  ;D

« Reply #2955 on: 18 January, 2013, 02:45:18 pm »
I'd like thanks all round, please.

I've just ordered a pair of thermal cycling trousers. The weather will now improve dramatically.

No problem, I'm happy to make this sacrifice.

« Reply #2956 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:21:46 pm »
Hi,

The Parcel Force man and his van made it through the snow to deliver some new tyres. They are for my Specialized Crosstrail. Presently it has the original 'Trigger Sport' cyclocross tyres that have been OK until this last couple of weeks when they had a spate of punctures. No fun getting stressed and fixing punctures on the way to night shifts at work so opted for something that hopefully has a bit more puncture resistance.

These are new tyres for 2013 - lighter than the others in the Marathon range. Got them from here: http://www.hibike.de/shop/product/p6610679bf231382c6e66911685f87cec/Schwalbe-Marathon-Deluxe-Evolution-Double-Defense-Faltreifen.html

« Reply #2957 on: 18 January, 2013, 04:27:56 pm »
These are new tyres for 2013 - lighter than the others in the Marathon range.

Interesting. I wonder where they fit in to the range in relation to the Marathon Supreme.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2958 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:20:35 pm »
Not sure if this exactly belongs here but it seems relevant (and as good a place as any)

For those not aware: Sunday 20th January, Manchester Velodrome. Annual 'Bikes'n'Bits' cycle jumble.

Details Here
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2959 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:34:09 pm »
rear crudcatcher for the MTB. The old zefal one had annoyed me too much by going floppy onto the studded tyres.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2960 on: 19 January, 2013, 05:36:26 pm »
A pair of Vittoria Rubino tyres and rim tape from Wiggle for the Hanlon project.

« Reply #2961 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:19:30 pm »
These are new tyres for 2013 - lighter than the others in the Marathon range.

Interesting. I wonder where they fit in to the range in relation to the Marathon Supreme.

The sandwich shop at work used to do this silly "everything with a superlative" naming too. The deluxe are £3 more expensive (for 700 * 35 folding at SJS).  :P

« Reply #2962 on: 20 January, 2013, 01:27:12 pm »
Cheap track pump arrived and it feels just like a ......cheap track pump. But it does work and seems to get up to pressure rather easily.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2963 on: 20 January, 2013, 02:53:52 pm »

They look pretty much like original Marathons, with a fairly deep tread.  They're substantially lighter than the standards, although a little heavier than the supremes (comparing 26x2.0" tyres in the tables on the Schwalbe web site).

Marathon Supremes are great on tarmac but -- unlike original Marathons -- don't seem to work very well on other surfaces, especially if there's some mud around.  Marathon Deluxes might be better for that kind of use (which would be consistent with the "Allrounder" label Schwalbe put on them).

« Reply #2964 on: 20 January, 2013, 02:58:38 pm »
A set of 4 magura rim pads (for the Sno bike) and a chainring bolt spanner from CRC for £18.

Just realised I meant to get a new set of chainring bolts too, will have to see what their threshold is for free postage, worst case I cancel the original order and reorder.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2965 on: 20 January, 2013, 03:06:05 pm »
Spokes from Spa Cycles for next weekend's rear wheel build.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2966 on: 20 January, 2013, 09:58:42 pm »
A Goldtech OneKey Chainring for my singlespeed MTB. It may be Biopace all over again But Wiggins and Sastrecey al are using them and the concept stacks up to me. Plus indeed a new chainring and they're £10 off until Friday. 

« Reply #2967 on: 20 January, 2013, 11:07:45 pm »
... from CRC ...

... will have to see what their threshold is for free postage ...

Zero, so long as you aren't in a rush.  Their free postage is available for any order, regardless of how small.  Things become somewhat less cost effective if you need it rapidly, and want to pay for faster delivery.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2968 on: 21 January, 2013, 05:24:20 am »
Yeah I saw that. Only problem is I don't know what to order, the bolts I wanted (becuase they have a sensible fitting both side, none of the tiny fragile slot business) say they're for a triple (I've got a double but think the size is the same whether double or triple) in the title but for a single in the blurb.

I hate it when things contradict themselves like that.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

tiermat

« Reply #2969 on: 22 January, 2013, 11:55:04 am »
A pair of Ortlieb Front Rollers in YELLOW, to match the barbag and the rear ones I already have.

I don't intend using these on the front (mainly as I don't have any bike that will take a front rack) but for those times when I don't need the full capacity of the rears.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #2970 on: 22 January, 2013, 02:12:28 pm »
A pair of Ortlieb Front Rollers in YELLOW, to match the barbag and the rear ones I already have.

I don't intend using these on the front (mainly as I don't have any bike that will take a front rack) but for those times when I don't need the full capacity of the rears.

They arrived shortly after I posted that.

I got them from eBay, paid about 1/2 what they are new, the picture on the listing was a stock one, not of the actual item, so I was expecting slightly worn panniers.

Nope, completely as new, look like they have never been fitted even!

Bargain!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2971 on: 22 January, 2013, 05:58:41 pm »
A pair of disc equipped wheels to go on the Pinnacle.  The current heavy wheels will keep the Marathon Winter tyres on, and then when (ha) we get a thaw, I can quickly swap the new wheels onto the bike, which will have normal Marathon Plus tyres on.  That way I don't have to faff about swapping tyres. *

*Although I don't find either version of Marathon's particularly hard to get on or off.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2972 on: 22 January, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »
That's the position I was hoping to get to, but wore through wheels too fast.  Discs are an obvious answer, but I've not got the right bike yet...
Getting there...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2973 on: 23 January, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »
chain catcher (chain-drop-preventer) for the peace of mind. although i've never dropped a chain before, i've always had that niggling feeling when downshifting front 'rings.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2974 on: 23 January, 2013, 02:23:29 pm »
On one merino jersey in red and green
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!