Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 874791 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #6050 on: 13 July, 2023, 12:51:54 pm »
Humph! My TG's blue.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6051 on: 13 July, 2023, 02:29:29 pm »
That ^^^ is not real, the bike's clean.

Meanwhile I have taken possession of one of they Tyre Glider doodahs.  Haven't yet had the courage to use it but I've got a candidate waiting.

Be interested in a future report on the Tyre Glider gadget . . . my current weapons of choice should the digital approach (fingers only!) not work are Park Tool plastic tyre levers and the BBB "plier" tool to refit the tyre

Stick to your levers.

To remove the tyre (Schwalbe Durano 25mm foldable on an old Mavic Ksyrium wheel) I had to use a plastic lever to get enough slack in the bead to get the TG's "foot" under the bead; and once it's under and pulled down perpendicular to the rim it needs more strength than I have to "glide" it sideways against the cling of the rubber and the friction of the rim.  3 levers did the job much more easily.

To put the tyre back I pushed 2/3 of it on by hand then inserted the TG's hooky bit over the rim and pushed it sideways.  Same problem again: rubber cling + friction = enormous force required. Maybe with oodles of talc it'd work but I don't carry talc on rides.

I'm writing the TG off against the education budget.

« Reply #6052 on: 13 July, 2023, 02:30:40 pm »
Conversely I found the TG useful and usable.  I studiously avoid very tight combinations and am almost totally tubeless.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6053 on: 13 July, 2023, 03:30:26 pm »
Interesting.  The Ksyrium rim has quite a shallow well that doesn't allow you to develop a lot of slack by pinching & pushing the tyre bead down in.  Maybe a more forgiving combo would be OK.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6054 on: 26 July, 2023, 02:50:13 pm »
This morning our local supermarket had a bunch of tat going cheap, amongst which were a couple of track pumps tagged at 3€ a go.  I already have an excellent track pump but hell, everyone can use an emergency backup, so into the cart it went.

Just tried it.  I reckon I was overcharged by ~50%. Although when it's not clamped to a valve it blows air like a good'un, when it's on the valve you can't tell whether the air's going into the tyre or just increasing the pressure in the hose. And when I released the lever it gave me a villainous crack on the index fingernail.

Oh well.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6055 on: 28 July, 2023, 09:01:59 pm »
Cycling related . . . a cheapie (£13.50 less £7.50 in Nectar points = £6.00) Argos 1.5ltr slow cooker to venture into the world of chain waxing . .  waiting delivery of a kg of wax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6056 on: 29 July, 2023, 01:16:26 am »
New Ortlieb 4l water carrier, because my current one seems to have become porous.

« Reply #6057 on: 06 August, 2023, 04:37:55 pm »
A 35mm M5 hex bolt. A small but very important purchase after my saddle clamp bolt sheared with an impressive bang as I went to stand up on a steep bit in the Forest of Bowland this morning on day 1 of my hols.  Saddle and saddlebag, bits of clamp, barrel nut and sheared bolt went shooting off across the road in many directions.  Luckily I found all the important bits and used a zip tie to bodge enough of a repair to get me home.

« Reply #6058 on: 06 August, 2023, 06:03:56 pm »
A 35mm M5 hex bolt. A small but very important purchase after my saddle clamp bolt sheared with an impressive bang as I went to stand up on a steep bit in the Forest of Bowland this morning on day 1 of my hols.  Saddle and saddlebag, bits of clamp, barrel nut and sheared bolt went shooting off across the road in many directions.  Luckily I found all the important bits and used a zip tie to bodge enough of a repair to get me home.

Somehow, I am not surprised, that an M5 bolt lets go, big time, with all that lot depending on it. Or have I mis-read your post Jelly?
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #6059 on: 06 August, 2023, 06:27:42 pm »
50mm mudguards to fit to my Genesis Croix de fer ( hydraulic disc model) to accomodate 40 mm touring tyres.

« Reply #6060 on: 06 August, 2023, 06:56:44 pm »

Somehow, I am not surprised, that an M5 bolt lets go, big time, with all that lot depending on it. Or have I mis-read your post Jelly?

Yes and no.  The seat clamp has several M5 bolts clamping the saddle rails.  It was one of those that let go as I shifted weight to stand up, sending two bits of the bolt, the barrel nut that it bolts to and part of the saddle clamp across the road. The saddle bag, containing minimal gear (tube, levers, multi tool and 2 now 1 zip ties)  straps to the saddle rails and both saddle and saddlebag fell off as no longer clamped to the seat post.  Thinking about it, by far the biggest load on that bolt was undoubtedly my arse pressing down on the saddle.  ;D   Having looked at the bolt, it was showing evidence of every one of the 9 years it has been getting wet and cruddy.

« Reply #6061 on: 23 August, 2023, 04:42:17 pm »
* Sidi Trace 2 Mega Wide Fit Mtb Shoes - black - size 46 EU

I bought a pair of these just over two years ago (inc postage from Spain) for £140.81. I recently noticed them on the same website for £105.97 (inc postage), so thought I had better buy them before they are out-of-stock, or Sidi stop making them.

*Shimano Alivio CS-HG400 9 Speed Cassette.

* ZTTO Derailleur Hanger Extender

« Reply #6062 on: 24 August, 2023, 10:40:10 pm »
Bought a midweek break in Suffolk, staying on a caravan site in a static. Gives us the perfect location to ride the Hase Pino to Minsmere one day, and Sutton Hoo another.  So not really cycling stuff, but cycling related!

Off peak price. Hoping the weather is not too off peak!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

robgul

« Reply #6063 on: 25 August, 2023, 07:53:29 am »
Bought a midweek break in Suffolk, staying on a caravan site in a static. Gives us the perfect location to ride the Hase Pino to Minsmere one day, and Sutton Hoo another.  So not really cycling stuff, but cycling related!

And seeing as you're as near as there there - if you haven't been there go to Dunwich Beach and have fish and chips at the famed cafe . . . and download Brian Eno's Dunwich Beach track to get the whole romantic effect.

« Reply #6064 on: 25 August, 2023, 07:55:28 am »
Arrived yesterday was a Spa Cycles Esk saddle for my new electric folder.

The supplied gel Selle Royal was seriously uncomfortable so the granite like leather of the new one will be differently uncomfortable. I don't envisage using the bike for much more than shortish jaunts but even so the plastic fantastic supplied saddle had to go.

Can't fault the delivery time. Ordered Tuesday, delivered Friday.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #6065 on: 29 August, 2023, 02:12:20 pm »

And seeing as you're as near as there there - if you haven't been there go to Dunwich Beach and have fish and chips at the famed cafe . . . and download Brian Eno's Dunwich Beach track to get the whole romantic effect.

Visited Dunwich Beach just before the sunrise at the beginning of July this year. The cafe was a bit busy then, but I had a chat with a few of the guys (inc a gal) that I have ridden with previously while they had refreshments. I didn't fancy queueing at the time, but will return for a fish and chip lunch as you have recommended it. Will have a listen to the Eno track now.  :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #6066 on: 01 September, 2023, 07:31:55 am »
For the first time in 11 years, I've bought a new bike, as I needed a new folding bike.  For years, I've been using a heavily modified original Bickerton with a proper stem & bars plus an 8 speed rear wheel, which was great around town but not so good for carrying easily removable luggage for train operated touring, which I'll be doing soon.

I drew up a list of requirements and narrowed it down to a Tern Verge after doing some test rides.  I couldn't get the X11 version as no bike shops have it in stock, so made do with the P10.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/bikes/472/verge-p10

The official Tern Cargo rack is also completely out of stock, but I've bought a Topeak rack which is very similar, which uses their MTX locking system for bags and has a lower rail for panniers.

The bike is lovely - very comfortable to handle, light and having hydraulic brakes stops instantly.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

robgul

« Reply #6067 on: 01 September, 2023, 07:48:25 am »
For the first time in 11 years, I've bought a new bike, as I needed a new folding bike.  For years, I've been using a heavily modified original Bickerton with a proper stem & bars plus an 8 speed rear wheel, which was great around town but not so good for carrying easily removable luggage for train operated touring, which I'll be doing soon.

I drew up a list of requirements and narrowed it down to a Tern Verge after doing some test rides.  I couldn't get the X11 version as no bike shops have it in stock, so made do with the P10.

https://www.ternbicycles.com/uk/bikes/472/verge-p10

The official Tern Cargo rack is also completely out of stock, but I've bought a Topeak rack which is very similar, which uses their MTX locking system for bags and has a lower rail for panniers.

The bike is lovely - very comfortable to handle, light and having hydraulic brakes stops instantly.

I assume you are aware that Mark Bickerton (son of the original Mr Bickerton) is MD at Tern in the UK - so some continuity with your old aluminium Bickerton.

When I was running an LBS we sold a lot of the Tern/Bickerton machines being reasonably priced and although large-ish for a folder they were a pleasure to ride with the larger than Brompton wheels.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6068 on: 01 September, 2023, 12:49:21 pm »
New set of Look pedals for the Baron, after the £9-from-eBay ones I've been using for the last few years developed an intermittent failure to engage issue (it appears that the springamathings are popping off the adjuster nut) that's going to cause a start-line pile-up if left unresolved.

« Reply #6069 on: 02 September, 2023, 01:20:45 pm »
Nutted (Vintage style fixing) long reach brake calipers, (Tektro R556's) to stop the British steel bike a bit better than the OE style Weinmanns were doing.

« Reply #6070 on: 07 September, 2023, 10:34:27 am »

Went to the cafe at Dunwich Beach. It was shut. Apparently they stop serving fish and chips at 2pm. Didn't stop us from having fun though. We tried to get fed at the Ship Inn too, but unless I wanted to ascend some stairs (gammy ankle and Hase Pino semi-recumbersome don't mix with stairs unless you are spectating) I could not eat outside anywhere I could view the bike. So with the sun descending we set off in the direction of our caravan site, and had a really splendid meal at the Crown in Westleton. Not cheap, but very fast service and I could see the bike while eating the beer battered haddock and beef dripping fried chips!

« Reply #6071 on: 13 September, 2023, 03:56:21 pm »
Yet Another '80s Raleigh. :facepalm: It was cheap, and the paintwork is in a terrible state. I'm currently trying to convince myself that this is a good thing for theft prevention purposes, and that I definitely shouldn't have it powdercoated at a cost of several times that of the whole bike. :demon:

« Reply #6072 on: 13 September, 2023, 04:19:35 pm »
A roller brake for my electric Dahon. And tomorrow I'll be ordering a new rim so I can get the 8 speed igh wheel back in action to put said brake on.

I've been using a cheap single speed wheel as a stop gap. Since December. December 2021.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #6073 on: 14 September, 2023, 10:23:03 am »
A Litelok X1.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6074 on: 14 September, 2023, 03:17:55 pm »
I may have put down a deposit on some ORANGE bling, n-1+1=n, for the purposes of...