Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 876958 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #875 on: 20 March, 2011, 10:16:51 pm »

From Brick Lane Bikes, a new crankset to replace the old cranks which died on yesterday's FNRttC.  This required a new bottom bracket as well, not just for proper alignment but because the old BB was damaged by the crank failure. ...

Bugger. :( I was afraid that would happen.  I once partially killed a crank like that.  When the crank came loose, it distorted the shape of the relatively soft metal, but the BB itself was OK, since it's normally quite a bit harder than the crank.  I kept on using it, but the two cranks weren't quite 180° apart any more!

I shall make sure, in future, to be carrying a spare crank bolt.  Although, having had one fail on me, who knows how long I'll have to wait for it to happen again ;)

Also, I replaced my old multi-tool with one that has a larger range of fittings, including an 8 hex.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #876 on: 22 March, 2011, 08:07:41 pm »
500x10mm M5 socket head bolts and 100x20mm M5 socket head bolts.

At the rate I lose them from my mudguards (as anyone who has accompanied me on recent rides will attest), that many should last me til the end of the year, just :)

Stainless I hope?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #877 on: 22 March, 2011, 08:26:51 pm »
Does it matter if he's changing them every ride ?  :)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #878 on: 24 March, 2011, 08:21:32 pm »
Just stumbled upon a Carradice Barley Saddlebag factory second on eekbay for 29 quid.  It should be with me in a few days!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #879 on: 25 March, 2011, 12:16:09 am »
A Thudbuster ST.
I got the idea after riding back along the canal today. I've had a bit of a sore arse recently and the thumping from the cobbles and rough bits along the tow path weren't helping any.
I'm becoming more like a princess.

« Reply #880 on: 25 March, 2011, 12:32:05 am »
I had a delivery of one of these Knog adjustable folding spanners.

It's a neat idea, but the implementation isn't as good as it could be.  The jaw will drop out if unscrewed too far (which I've never had happen with an adjustable before), and it rattles a bit loosely when folded up.

It's clever, but it's not done well enough to justify it's not very cheap price tag.
Actually, it is rocket science.

jogler

• mojo operandi

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #882 on: 29 March, 2011, 12:05:33 am »
A shiny new cassette, and a shiny new chain, and a quarter of an hour of labour for the fitting thereof.

The chain is somewhat cleaner than the rest of the bike right now....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #883 on: 29 March, 2011, 12:11:23 am »
That sorts itself out depressingly quickly, I find.

Even indoors on a turbo-trainer.   :o  No, I've no idea how.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #884 on: 29 March, 2011, 12:20:25 am »
An ebaytastic new miche track 49T chainring to replace a 46T chainring. Time to make my legs hurt again!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #885 on: 29 March, 2011, 07:23:51 pm »
Carradice Barley saddle bag (factory second) off ebay arrived today!  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #886 on: 06 April, 2011, 02:08:44 am »
We went to D-Tek and all I got were a set of £5 B-Twin mudguards when we stopped off at Decathlon on the way home.

« Reply #887 on: 06 April, 2011, 06:37:18 am »
CO2 Inflator + 2x 16g cartridges from Lady Penelope's chauffer.

« Reply #888 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:11:33 am »
That sorts itself out depressingly quickly, I find.

Even indoors on a turbo-trainer.   :o  No, I've no idea how.

...and chain wear continues too. I wore out a chain over the winter with turbo use only. Well lubed, no grit or grot, but it still stretched 1/16in.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #889 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:52:27 am »
New pump, tubes and patches

« Reply #890 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:12:32 am »
We went to D-Tek and all I got were a set of £5 B-Twin mudguards when we stopped off at Decathlon on the way home.

What   :o , tell us the secret of how you protected your credit cards, locked in a bank vault ... sealed in a nuclear bunker... launched into orbit with the astronauts going to the ISS.  ???

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #891 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:13:00 am »
Two 1.5kg tubs of Torq energy drink (lemon/lime & orange). Since I tried this stuff I can't go back to the artificially-sweetened brands, and these should last me the better part of a year.

« Reply #892 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:17:25 am »

What   :o , tell us the secret of how you protected your credit cards, locked in a bank vault ... sealed in a nuclear bunker... launched into orbit with the astronauts going to the ISS.  ???
Well, I guess it might be down to what Barakta either got or is planning to get...
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #893 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:18:54 am »
Two 1.5kg tubs of Torq energy drink (lemon/lime & orange). Since I tried this stuff I can't go back to the artificially-sweetened brands, and these should last me the better part of a year.

Funnily enough I just ordered some via our club.  Wonder if it's nice?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #894 on: 06 April, 2011, 12:32:41 pm »
Two 1.5kg tubs of Torq energy drink (lemon/lime & orange). Since I tried this stuff I can't go back to the artificially-sweetened brands

Who on earth decided that what was really missing from a bottle whose main ingredient is sugar (93% on the one I have here) and salt (2%) powder was some saccharine?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #895 on: 06 April, 2011, 02:59:43 pm »
Nuun tablets.Several tubes.

« Reply #896 on: 06 April, 2011, 03:15:13 pm »
Got my Kinesis equiped with Sturmey Archer S3X.A sort of fixed for the unfit :thumbsup:

« Reply #897 on: 06 April, 2011, 04:00:08 pm »
Reminds me, need to pick up some tubes before Saturday...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

corshamjim

« Reply #898 on: 06 April, 2011, 06:33:52 pm »
Placed an online order for the amusingly-named '16" Big Boy' Trailer.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #899 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:14:13 pm »

Funnily enough I just ordered some via our club.  Wonder if it's nice?

It may taste strange at first, if you're used to the artificially-sweetened type. I get through about 3 bottles a week in summer, so the more natural the better imho.