Author Topic: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?  (Read 114284 times)

Martin

Re: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?
« Reply #200 on: 17 June, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »
Public service announcement

following an enquiry I've had; please note ECE's are not eligible for validation by gps at the present time. Although a short gps track from your house would probably suffice if no receipt was obtainable (here's another thought; is the ISP of you home computer unique? couldn't you send a ping to me when you start?)

the reason for this is that they are not validated the DIY orgs who have agreed to normal DIY validation. ECE's require a seperate paper card obtainable from myself

please also note that I will be away from 23-29 June so any that are required before or on the 4th July need to be entered ASAP  :)

Martin

« Reply #201 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:16:43 pm »
Public Service Announcement

could anybody wishing to extend any of El Supremo's events please mention this on the entry form and confirm he is happy to have the event extended prior to applying to me for the ECE?  obviously this will mean applying a little before the normal 14 day deadline.

although the organiser should not be affected by an ECE (other than an extra start / finish stamp) it's always courteous to inform him / her and ensure they are happy  :)

/ Public Service Announcement

« Reply #202 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:58:42 pm »
I noticed the other day that the upper tea 200 explicitly says its not suitable for ECE on the AUK calendar.

Martin

« Reply #203 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:06:51 pm »
I noticed the other day that the upper tea 200 explicitly says its not suitable for ECE on the AUK calendar.

hadn't noticed that;

I'm aiming to ECE his two end of year 100s (mainly due to only having one car now) I assume they will be OK

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #204 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:12:42 pm »

hadn't noticed that;

I'm aiming to ECE his two end of year 100s (mainly due to only having one car now) I assume they will be OK

Although the 100 upper tea is not! (banned, that is)

« Reply #205 on: 04 August, 2010, 09:29:14 am »
Just curious - do we have any idea why this should be?

Chris S

« Reply #206 on: 04 August, 2010, 09:54:36 am »
Just curious - do we have any idea why this should be?

Unmanned final control maybe?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #207 on: 04 August, 2010, 10:04:29 am »
I had an ECE on my 400 last month, so I hope this isn't going to be a problem.
[I scribbled in his ECE card at the start, so I guess my work is done there?]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #208 on: 04 August, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »
I had an ECE on my 400 last month, so I hope this isn't going to be a problem.
[I scribbled in his ECE card at the start, so I guess my work is done there?]

no that's not the reason;

as long as an ECE does not impact at all on the calendar event there is no reason why it should not be accepted;

an unmanned final control can be overcome by simply obtaining an extra receipt in the finish location (I assume you have to obtain one anyway a la Poor Student)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #209 on: 08 August, 2010, 10:40:52 am »
I wonder if it might be because Dave's schedule is a bit tight at the start and he needs to get away promptly to get the (legendary) :thumbsup: catering set up - I have a note from him listing events that "are ideal for those wishing to ride extended calandar events because they have just one catering control on route". He also puts stars next to some that have multiple feeds at the same location.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #210 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:36:22 am »
I wonder if it might be because Dave's schedule is a bit tight at the start and he needs to get away promptly to get the (legendary) :thumbsup: catering set up - I have a note from him listing events that "are ideal for those wishing to ride extended calandar events because they have just one catering control on route". He also puts stars next to some that have multiple feeds at the same location.

yes I think you've hit the nail on the head; that's my understanding of the difference between ECE friendly and unfriendly rides;

thanks for that (and also to Dave for clarification  :thumbsup:)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #211 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:46:54 am »
given the work Dave does on his events, I''d have no complaints about when he chooses to accept ECEs. However, just for clarification:
am I right in thinking he just has to scribble on the rider's ECE card? unless loads of riders are doing it, that's not much time is it? Or are there vast plagues of ECE riders in Zoom's part of the country? :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #212 on: 09 August, 2010, 10:57:25 am »
given the work Dave does on his events, I''d have no complaints about when he chooses to accept ECEs. However, just for clarification:
am I right in thinking he just has to scribble on the rider's ECE card? unless loads of riders are doing it, that's not much time is it? Or are there vast plagues of ECE riders in Zoom's part of the country? :)

he generally gets one of his minions to stamp both the start and finish boxes of the card; and puts a note of the rider on the finish list (I also txt him so he knows who to expect ECE)

Martin

« Reply #213 on: 08 September, 2010, 09:25:14 pm »
Please note;

ECE rides like 150+50 or 150+150 will appear on the online results as ECE 100+100 and ECE 100+200's to simplify validation as they are worth the same number of (perm) points as the latter two (being worth 0 as calendar events)

Martin

« Reply #214 on: 10 September, 2010, 12:34:22 pm »
****STOP PRESS******

many thanks to IanH's hard work and webtrickery  :thumbsup:

I am now able to offer combined ECE entry and Paypal payment

http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/extendedcal

Martin

« Reply #215 on: 05 October, 2010, 09:40:08 pm »
it's nice to see some people have the time and good weather to get out on their bikes;

so much so that I've run out of cards (again  :() and when I get some I have about 10 earmarked for 2 very keen riders,

no more entries for events in the next 11 days please  :) (PM me if desperate and I'll tell Rich F the bad news about his cards!)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #216 on: 06 October, 2010, 12:59:00 am »
Or you could give me a pound back and I'll use some of the 50 I have here  ;D

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #217 on: 06 October, 2010, 11:26:56 am »
it's nice to see some people have the time and good weather to get out on their bikes;

so much so that I've run out of cards (again  :() and when I get some I have about 10 earmarked for 2 very keen riders,

no more entries for events in the next 11 days please  :) (PM me if desperate and I'll tell Rich F the bad news about his cards!)
As soon as I get my Oc16th calendar entry confirmed, I'll be entering that as ECE - but I have DIY cards I can reuse [EDIT] with your cunning ECE insert, assuming that's still OK with you.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Martin

« Reply #218 on: 06 October, 2010, 07:09:20 pm »
Rich; Matt;

no you cannot use DIY cards; I can convert these to ECE with an insert but should have the Real McCoy by the 16th

« Reply #219 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:12:58 pm »
Please note;

ECE rides like 150+50 or 150+150 will appear on the online results as ECE 100+100 and ECE 100+200's to simplify validation as they are worth the same number of (perm) points as the latter two (being worth 0 as calendar events)

What about riding 75km to/from a 50km calendar event to get a 200km ride (and 2 perm points)? Is that possible?

I didn't realise that the Brazier's Run 50km ride started at the same time as the 100km ride. It would have fit my schedule (for watching the rugby) much more if I'd done the 50km ride and ridden there and back (rather than having to get the train home after the 100km ride).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #220 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:19:39 pm »
Please note;

ECE rides like 150+50 or 150+150 ...

What about riding 75km to/from a 50km calendar event to get a 200km ride (and 2 perm points)?
Don't see why not (but I'd have thought it might be less trouble all round just to do it as a GPS 200, buy a cup of coffee at the event HQ).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #221 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:24:41 pm »
Don't see why not (but I'd have thought it might be less trouble all round just to do it as a GPS 200, buy a cup of coffee at the event HQ).

True, but completing the calendar event makes it look more popular (this was one of the suggested benefits of the ECE system.)

(I also forgot to restart my GPS when I set off after fixing my puncture and missed ~20km of tracklog that may have been crucial to a GPS 200 claim - although I may have been more careful had I actually been doing a GPS ride.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #222 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:25:54 pm »
Well, I did my first ECE in January (100 + 100) and the result is up on the AUK site, all very smooth.

Thanks Martin.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #223 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

True, but completing the calendar event makes it look more popular (this was one of the suggested benefits of the ECE system.)

Oh, I know, I just doubt the benefit is worth all the trouble. In this case.

Anyway, who cares about 50km events?  <runs...>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Martin

« Reply #224 on: 28 February, 2011, 03:51:25 pm »

Oh, I know, I just doubt the benefit is worth all the trouble. In this case.

Anyway, who cares about 50km events?  <runs...>

There is a perfectly good 100km event on the same day you could also ECE but yes it would be allowed (after all I've had 200s ECE'd to 600). Not that I'm turning away potential work; and yes it would go down as a 100+100 for results purposes.