Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2519775 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #12400 on: 25 January, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »
I did try remembering it, and thought I had, but when I came to check it out on an insurance website (to confirm I had the right plate/vehicle combo) the plate was not known. It was a rather inconspicuous middle sized people mover thingy, possibly a Vauxhall Zafira or the like.

LB10 ZPA or ZBA.

Anyhow, zen won over and I'm not too fussed.  though, on balance, if I had remembered it it would have been a Roadsafe incident that's for sure.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12401 on: 25 January, 2013, 03:42:41 pm »
Last night...

Turning right at Kings Cross from Euston Rd into Pancras Rd... OK, I admit the light had just turned amber when I crossed the line, but FFS! By the time I was going through the pedestrian crossing at the end of Pancras Rd a second or two later, the light was already green for the peds. And because quite a few of them had already started crossing even before they had the green light, I had to do a bit of nifty weaving. I was in no danger of colliding with anyone, but one bloke still felt the need to yell "Prick!" at me.

Ho hum. Suppose I kind of deserved it.

Then, cycling home from the station at the other end of my journey, a driver tooted at me while overtaking, seemingly for no reason. I normally don't respond to such behaviour but I was in a bad mood so forcefully expressed my opinion of his ancestry. I don't think he heard me though.

Anyway, it was only when I got home that I realised the probable reason for his honking was that my rear light had died.  :facepalm:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #12402 on: 25 January, 2013, 03:57:31 pm »

« Reply #12403 on: 25 January, 2013, 04:06:13 pm »
As for me, it's a full house this week.  Sadly, a complete week of not cycling.  :'(

I've managed the flip side, after an early cycle free start to the year, I've just managed my second full week of commuting.

Look, I know it’s Friday and all, but you’re not supposed to start drinking this early…!

Damn, I was wondering when we'd be doing the NSTN inaugural mudathon. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #12404 on: 25 January, 2013, 05:09:33 pm »
zen

I need more of that.

From ice pick to zen requirement.
In four posts.

EDIT: An observation, not a criticism  ;)

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #12405 on: 26 January, 2013, 12:20:59 am »
Deeply, deeply unpleasant day on the bike.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #12406 on: 26 January, 2013, 12:26:51 am »
zen

I need more of that.

From ice pick to zen requirement.
In four posts.

EDIT: An observation, not a criticism  ;)

Noted.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #12407 on: 26 January, 2013, 03:42:18 pm »
Sorry, I can't let it go.

There's been the minor irritating stuff - such as the recent trend for motorists to skim by inches from my elbow as they jump the lights that I'm stopped at. It's happening a couple of times every ride - that's just unpleasant.

Yesterday though, there was the figure in the road. Lying as he had fallen, a considerable distance from the crossing. No passers-by gawping, no other vehicles stopped, just the response car in the middle of the carriageway and the paramedic establishing an airway. Normally the area is thronged, it had obviously just happened and the victim looked suddenly, horribly alone.

Late at night on the way home: madness. Three successive vehicles.
I can remember looking at the nearside wheel as I bailed left - it was chattering with the ABS. The driver had beaten me to the pinch point but couldn't do anything other than brake to a stop to avoid the parked car on the left. I was wedged between him and the kerb. I got a foot down but had to steady myself with a hand against the passenger window. Within a split second that was revealed as 'The Wrong Thing To Do'. The next couple of minutes were a mixture of unpleasant threats, getting out of his grasp, staying upright despite kicks to the rear wheel, bailing to the pavement in populated, lit areas, slack jawed indifference to a cyclist being dragged off their bike, getting away again and eventually making it to Newington Green. At last I was off the road and I had my bike and a good Samaritan between me and him. The Police arrived just as he started to get kicky again. I was sent on my way and told to get some distance between us while they had a chat.

I managed to get to the far side of Newington Green. I pulled up behind a bus that was waiting for on-coming traffic to clear before making it's way along the narrow channel between the parked cars. Then I was gently hit from behind. A woman in a small dark car had driven up against my rear wheel. I didn't react other than to move forward and to the left.  She pulled up again a hair's breadth from my wheel. There was nowhere for me to go. Bus in front, tightly parked cars on the left, the car on my rear wheel. The only gap I could physically fit through was blind into on-coming traffic. I turned to the woman and simply said 'Please!' and clasped my hands together. As the bus moved off I was again looking for the first gap into which I could bail as the car revved and lurched behind me. It was the bus stop. I pulled in behind the bus and as the car passed one of the four passengers took the opportunity to call me a cunt and throw something.

Seeking a relatively safe place to be I sheltered behind the bus as it rolled along the Essex Road. A taxi that was passing in the outside lane though, took the opportunity to brake, move in to the bus lane behind the bus, push me into the gutter, move back into the outside lane and then continue to overtake the bus. No drama, but by this point depressing that someone would go out of their way, and slow themselves down just to be unpleasant.

I stopped for ten minutes to pull myself together and to investigate the problem that was developing with my left pedal. I was close to throwing the bike in a nearby skip, but the fact that twelve miles with a snapped cleat is preferable to the last train on the overground on a Friday night saved it.

I'm a bit paralysed today.

Edit: A weird detail that sticks is that the first driver wanted me pay for his shoes that he had damaged by kicking me.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #12408 on: 26 January, 2013, 03:51:40 pm »
 Gobsmackingly unpleasant experience.  I hope you are  recovering somewhere peaceful and safe.  And glad you arrived home without serious physical damage. 

« Reply #12409 on: 26 January, 2013, 05:02:20 pm »
Sounds grim benborp, very grim.

Ignore "get back on the horse" thing; a day like that would warrant a day or two off the bike. Hope the stress levels reduce asap.

« Reply #12410 on: 26 January, 2013, 05:12:37 pm »
That sounds §h!te, Ben.
Sorry to hear it.  >:(

« Reply #12411 on: 26 January, 2013, 07:03:16 pm »
Sheesh. That's horrific. You got any holiday coming up ?  Sounds like you could do with some time off the bike. (Though why on earth you should have to change what you do ..   rant rant rant.) Bloody hell.

Is it any wonder that cyclists take to thumping wing mirrors. When threatened like this fight or flight overrides sense and sensibility.

Are you up to Roadsafeing these ?  Or putting them into the CTC SMIDSY thing ?

I hope that's your bunch of psycho nutters all done with for 2013.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #12412 on: 26 January, 2013, 07:47:12 pm »
Seriously Ben how you coped without battering the first drivers head in with a D Lock i'll never know, so despite feeling crap about it, you did OK.

Not that not battering an errant drivers head in would make any difference but it would make me feel a lot better some days, and might make a point.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #12413 on: 26 January, 2013, 08:41:53 pm »
Jesus Benborp!  Didn't the rozzers do anything  ???
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #12414 on: 26 January, 2013, 10:59:12 pm »
That sounds awful Benborp. It beggars belief that people can be so shit.

Fwiw I agree with hatler and pluck, a couple days off if you want them could well be justified.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #12415 on: 27 January, 2013, 04:10:26 am »
Thanks all,

Fortunately the next few days involve me carrying too much stuff to travel by bike, kind of sad, but I am looking forward to not having to cycle. I don't know how I'll get from Tottenham to Archway in fifteen minutes on Tuesday night though.
There's no question of me pursuing any of this through RoadSafe, I didn't really have the opportunity to clock any of the number plates. Is the CTC SMIDSY site worth it for simply logging experiences?
I don't carry a 'D' lock but I have to admit to being at the stage of sizing up where the other guy was most vulnerable.
As to the Police, they did exactly what I needed. They had little to go on other than two people were having an argument and diffused the situation. I was allowed to carry on on my way while the driver was subject to further scrutiny.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #12416 on: 28 January, 2013, 08:41:06 am »
Beautiful early morning- dark, clear sky, enormous, glowing moon, so I thought I would ride my extended route today.  Then realised I had two flat tyres! Just as I was about to wheel the bike out of the door. 
So pumped up the tyres on my daughters bike and used that instead.  The moon was just magic.

« Reply #12417 on: 28 January, 2013, 11:36:39 am »
'Twas like a spring day out there this morning. :thumbsup:

« Reply #12418 on: 28 January, 2013, 11:40:57 am »
It was beautiful and yet I struggled for some reason, feeling really knackered. I think I just need to go to bed much earlier. Especially seeing as my piddling little commute will be tripling in a few weeks.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12419 on: 28 January, 2013, 06:32:14 pm »
As noted here http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=67924.0 - it is horrible out there.  Really horrible.

I hadn't looked at the forecast and was only popping over to Knightsbridge - so was in civvies.  Bad move!

Soaked.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #12420 on: 28 January, 2013, 07:28:41 pm »
Yukky yuk.
Happened to be picking up two of the kids in the trailer on the way home and I nearly came to a stop heading into the wind at one point. Lot of windage, that double trailer.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #12421 on: 28 January, 2013, 09:24:27 pm »
Mahoosive tailwind on the way home tonight  :)

It'll be a bugger in the morning though  :demon:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12422 on: 28 January, 2013, 09:28:43 pm »
Fresh legs (not cycled for 1.5wks) do not mean fast legs, but it was good to be back on the bike.

I was definitely overdressed for the commute this evening.  Perhaps I should have dispensed with the white tie and tails overshoes, glove liners and balaclava.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #12423 on: 28 January, 2013, 09:45:18 pm »
WTF happened to my 'spring like' day?

Got wet this evening - but it's obv. not cold as I managed to get home, ditch the uniform from the bag (work shirt, before any of you lot start thinking of apparel with epaulettes / and or  / 'Happy to help' badges) pick up a lock and went to the stupormarket in the Definitely Not Dry Lycra. And lived.

Hopefully the wind direction will not have changed overnight.
That way I'll be blown.
To work.

« Reply #12424 on: 28 January, 2013, 09:47:33 pm »
A curate's egg of a commute home.

I left quite late (after five!) and wandered out to the bike sheds to see that I hadn't actually locked my bike  :facepalm: At least it was still there. Thank dog for a closed site and an unassuming bike.

Off onto the cut through to Yarm Road. The mild temperatures and rain had washed away all the ice. I passed a car which was indicating to pull out, and they sat behind me at a very reassuring distance until it was safe to pass. I gave them a wave of thanks. I did catch them up at the traffic lights, mind.

Annoyingly, the kissing gate in Eastbourne Park has been repaired. I used to be able to ride carefully through the narrow gap, but tonight I had to hobby-horse my bike past the wheel trap. I don't think I'll bother using that route again.

The lights at the narrow bridge under the ECML turned red as I approached, then - hurrah! - turned green again. Rather than going through South Park, I nipped along Park Lane (not quite as grand as the London one) and down Vicky Road, where a kind driver flashed me, letting me turn off the road and onto the cycle path across the town centre bypass and into the town.

I mistimed the lights at the top of Bondgate, but again a driver let me through onto Greenbank Road and the home stretch, where I even picked up a tailwind. Greenbank Road is a fairly wide residential street, with cars parked at either side. It really was a shame that the Audi driver decided to pull out into me, despite my taking the lane and there being a car coming in the opposite direction. My superb reactions saved us both from a head-on collision. Why is it always an Audi? I vented my annoyance at the driver and rode the last few hundred yards home. Phew!