Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2510549 times)

ian

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #14250 on: 04 October, 2013, 10:09:42 am »
I think, Ian, you'd made a mistake even talking to them. Their driving had already demonstrated that they were running on half of one brain cell; and that was busy reading the Daily Mail.

I wouldn't normally, but as it seemed I was turning the corner with him whether I wanted to or not. Had I been angry I would have let it go, like I say, yelling at motorists is a highway to nowhere. Even after the discussion I pretty much wrote it off as one of those things. It's only thinking about it later, reading the threads in here, that it became more than a little chilling. He wasn't just mouthing off, he was willing to run me over. He couldn't have known I wouldn't go straight on. And after that, given what he said and the way he said it, he genuinely seemed to want to hurt someone.

There's no other context in my life where I meet people who even express a wish to hurt or kill anyone.

I suppose also there's the grim realisation that if he had hit me there's 101 ready excuses along the lines 'he didn't see me' or 'I came from nowhere' and despite the clear intent of his act, he'd probably not a get a legal slap for injuring or killing me.

And then, there's the frustration of knowing that this person is out there with those ideas in his head and a willingness to follow through, and there being nothing I can really do. I may write to the PCO/TfL but it seems a tad useless. Taxi driver behaves like a dick, film at eleven.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14251 on: 04 October, 2013, 10:18:19 am »
Given the incident off Oxford Street a short while back, and my own experiences, it seems to continue.  Cabbies do what they do because they know they can get away with it.
Getting there...

« Reply #14252 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:13:33 pm »
Given the incident off Oxford Street a short while back, and my own experiences, it seems to continue.  Cabbies do what they do because they know they can get away with it.

Sweeping generalisation of the week

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #14253 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:28:46 pm »
Yesterday, but I've been re-mulling it in the light of a few other discussions.

So I'm cycling down Blackfriars Road towards the lights with Union St outside Southwark Station. I'm pretty much taking the middle of the inside lane at a merry old pace when a taxi slides up besides me, too close for comfort, but black cab intimacy is not exactly unusual. He's indicating left but hey, I'm in the way. OK, at this point I'm familiar with the considerate ways of the London cabbie and ponder the relative benefits of discretion versus valour but I was feeling a little bloody minded so I stand (or rather ride) my ground but I also prepared for the inevitable. Which, of course, inevitable it was, as he promptly attempted the left-hook. As I was anticipating it, we both went around into Union Street. Had I kept going forward there was no doubt in my mind that he would have simply driven over me.

I don't normally get into it with drivers. Nothing good comes of it in my experience, but feeling calm and unfeasibly reasonable about the entire thing, I decided to have a word with him. So at the next lights I ride up beside him and tap on the window and he rolls it down. This is pretty much the conversation we had, none of it particularly heated. I tried to be perfectly calm and agreeable.

"You did see me there, didn't you? You could have knocked me off."

"I was indicating. I have a witness," he nods to the fare in the back who just looks like she'd rather be elsewhere (considering his driving skills, that wasn't a bad idea).

"Look, I'm really not trying to start an argument. But come on, wouldn't it have been better for us both if you'd been courteous enough to slow down for a moment. I'm sure you'd not like someone in your family to be injured or killed like that."

"I'd run over someone like you."

"What do you mean, like me?"

"Cyclists. Knocking one of you lot off would make my day."

At that point, I figured I was just going to get angry so I let him go. To be honest, I feel sorry for people like that. Five minutes later, I was happily cycling along, he'll still be carrying that toxic attitude for the rest of his undoubtedly shitty life.

But I'm kind of frustrated in retrospect knowing that someone with that attitude (and it wasn't just words, he would have run me over) is actually being paid to drive and there's nothing I can do about it. In any other context, say someone was sitting there twiddling a knife and telling people he wanted to stab someone, we'd reasonably be alarmed enough to take action. In a car, it's seems perfectly fine to expound such homicidal fantasies. I didn't take his number and I doubt any complaint would achieve any outcome.

Sorry to read this ianskers, and you showed far more restraint than I would have.

After his "Knocking one of you lot off would make my day", I suppose you could have said "Now I've got a witness" indicating the lady in the back.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

red marley

« Reply #14254 on: 04 October, 2013, 05:00:32 pm »
Given that the Met no longer run the PCO, that job having been given to TfL.

It's ironic that that great big building on stilts where this incident occurred is TFL's HQ.

« Reply #14255 on: 04 October, 2013, 05:14:44 pm »
Ironic indeed.
Though if I'm not mistaken the PCO still operates out of Penton Street.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #14256 on: 04 October, 2013, 05:15:57 pm »
It was very rainy.

I waited for it to stop.

It started again about 30 seconds after I set off.

I lost count of the nasty close passes on the B1228.  And the surface is as bad as ever.

Got there rather late because of the waiting.

Very busy day... but as I was saying 'see you in a fortnight' for the second time (before a further three things happened to delay the start of the weekend) I noticed... blue skies!  An hour and three more problems-solved-and-jobs done later I saw Actual Sunshine out the window and went to change back into the still distinctly damp cycling kit.

Set off.

30 seconds later... the heavens opened.

Road surface even worse in the other direction.

Fast, close pass after fast close pass.

Bah.

Survived :)

Bairn Again

« Reply #14257 on: 07 October, 2013, 10:32:51 am »
The day that some thought might never happen is almost here

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/news/article/1343/tram_testing_to_begin_between_gogar_and_edinburgh_park

As of tomorrow I will have to look both ways when riding to work.   :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #14258 on: 07 October, 2013, 10:46:38 am »
First ride in since armfail.

Rode the Green Machine, which is now in its proto-TD spec and all was good - to my surprise, the faux-Ergon grips that I bought from Evans ages ago are actually more comfortable than the Real Ergons which I've got on the Surly, so I think I'll leave them on.

Managed the rooty, off-road climb through the University on 58", so I'll call that a win.

Hoping for a relatively stress-free ride home since I'm leaving just after lunch for a physioterrorist appointment (hence no school traffic)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14259 on: 07 October, 2013, 10:54:02 am »

http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/news/article/1343/tram_testing_to_begin_between_gogar_and_edinburgh_park

Nice to see (I like trams), but comparing it with Sheffield Supertram it appears to have cost nearly twice as much (in 2013 values) and doesn't quite cover half the distance. Where did the money go?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #14260 on: 07 October, 2013, 11:19:46 am »

Nice to see (I like trams), but comparing it with Sheffield Supertram it appears to have cost nearly twice as much (in 2013 values) and doesn't quite cover half the distance. Where did the money go?

There is a story there that many residents of Edinburgh would like to see fully explored. Le Mans has a similar tram network system. It's enormous, goes everywhere, caused utter chaos when it was being installed, but seems to work. It links far flung parts of the town where there is adequate parking (like the hospital) with the centre of town and you glide in super quick on largely traffic-free routes. Somehow I suspect Edinburgh's system is more compromised...

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #14261 on: 07 October, 2013, 11:23:26 am »
Interesting moment on the way in this morning, here:

I arrive from the left, and take the hairpin to the left and up the ramp to the railway path at Bitton. I've been aware that I tend to take the turn very slowly, which makes it harder to get up the ramp, especially on fixed. So I've been trying to get faster, including taking the right of the lane prior to the turn.

I maybe slightly overdid it this morning, and the back wheel slid out as I tried to power round. Fortunately my left crank was down at that moment, and I think the resultant pedal-strike on the ground is what kept me from falling off.

(Note, I think it was slide followed by strike, rather than strike causing skid, but it all happened rather quickly)
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

simonp

« Reply #14262 on: 07 October, 2013, 11:54:19 am »
I rode in this morning with contact lenses in.

Main thing that's improved is peripheral vision, particularly how much easier looking over my shoulder was.

I'll have to take them out before I ride home, as I'm limited to 8h today. :(

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14263 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:20:04 pm »

There is a story there that many residents of Edinburgh would like to see fully explored. Le Mans has a similar tram network system. It's enormous, goes everywhere, caused utter chaos when it was being installed, but seems to work. It links far flung parts of the town where there is adequate parking (like the hospital) with the centre of town and you glide in super quick on largely traffic-free routes. Somehow I suspect Edinburgh's system is more compromised...

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=47519.0

« Reply #14264 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:47:38 pm »

Main thing that's improved is peripheral vision, particularly how much easier looking over my shoulder was.

Agree 100%. Just wait till it rains- You can still see.  :o

simonp

« Reply #14265 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:55:28 pm »

Agree 100%. Just wait till it rains- You can still see.  :o

I was hoping this morning would be a good test. Unfortunately the fog had cleared before I got onto Red Hill so I didn't learn too much.

No doubt it'll rain tomorrow, when I can't use them (I have a trial pack of lenses, and have only two pairs left, and need to use one pair for my bike lesson on Wednesday, and one pair for a follow-up visit at the optician's on Thursday, they want me to turn up with them in).

These are daily disposables. I've decided they aren't going to work for me, as if I cycle into work with them in, then if I have a shower I have to discard them. Then a new pair for cycling home. So I'm going to get them to give me some extended wear ones, which will also work a lot better on Audax rides if I can keep them in overnight.

« Reply #14266 on: 07 October, 2013, 01:20:06 pm »
if I cycle into work with them in, then if I have a shower I have to discard them

Really?
I've never heard that. Sounds like bollox to make you buy more.

simonp

« Reply #14267 on: 07 October, 2013, 01:26:56 pm »
if I cycle into work with them in, then if I have a shower I have to discard them

Really?

You're not meant to shower with contacts in, and you're not supplied with any means to store and disinfect daily lenses if you take them out temporarily.

ian

« Reply #14268 on: 07 October, 2013, 02:44:06 pm »

Really?

You're not meant to shower with contacts in, and you're not supplied with any means to store and disinfect daily lenses if you take them out temporarily.

Then I've been doing it wrong for a couple of decades now. I've yet to die or lose an eyeball. I think you'll be fine leaving them in.

« Reply #14269 on: 07 October, 2013, 03:03:00 pm »

Really?

Then I've been doing it wrong for a couple of decades now. I've yet to die or lose an eyeball. I think you'll be fine leaving them in.
Ditto (though only for 8 years).

« Reply #14270 on: 07 October, 2013, 03:07:46 pm »
You shouldn't swim with them in (unless wearing a face mask) but showering is fine.

Can't get on with them myself (dry eyes) but I have no doubt they are safer when riding in rain or fog (compared to glasses).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14271 on: 07 October, 2013, 03:08:40 pm »
I was going to talk about my commute but then I was very confused by this contact lens talk. I wore daily disposables for yeeaaars before I got my eyes lasered. I showered in them all the time, never had any issues or even knew it WAS an issue!!!

« Reply #14272 on: 07 October, 2013, 03:13:11 pm »
I wear them swimming. But then, I take all kinds of risks with my health. I don't swill my nasal passages with Milton after swimming, either.
It's a risk:hassle calculation you need to do for yourself. I think the risk of getting anything from even Thetford Pool is sufficiently low I'll take the chance, especially as I can't see my own hands let alone recognise my own children without them, and swimming in glasses is not practical.

You can get storage/travel cases & solutions from your local chemist. There's nothing particularly magic about daily disposables to stop you from doing this.

simonp

« Reply #14273 on: 07 October, 2013, 03:26:18 pm »
For swimming, I have goggles with lenses in.

The risk of AK is very low, even in SCL wearers, it's about 1 in 50,000 per year (1 in a million for non-CL wearers). 90% of SCL wearers infected had ignored at least one aspect of safety advice.

The potential for leaving extended wear lenses in overnight on a 600 attracts me to them more than anything else, though this must increase the associated risk.

ian

« Reply #14274 on: 07 October, 2013, 04:22:30 pm »
Well, I shower in mine after swimming*. I'm evidently crazier than a coke-snorting rocket pilot headbutting a damaged WWII bomb.

*in water-tight goggles, of course. Crap is falling into your eyes all the time even when you're not sticking your fingers in there, a splash of what is mostly dilute bleach isn't going to kill you.

(I don't get on with dailies though. They're convenient but I never find them comfortable for all day wear. I use monthlies. Far more substantial and easier to handle and it only takes several seconds to clean them in an evening.)