Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2510661 times)

ian

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #16775 on: 09 April, 2015, 02:57:19 pm »
I'm not sure I find Croydonia much worse than other parts of London for cycling (which isn't a compliment). The worst-of-the-1960s road system is admittedly a curse, leading to no pretty approach from the north (from the south it's not so bad, Brighton Road is wide and fairly straightforward). The council has no interest in cycling, of course, their imagination stretches about as far as parking spaces, which they're obsessed with. Like the thing Croydon needs is more traffic. I don't really mind the Brighton Road > the pedestrianised bit in the middle > London Road section. London Road isn't nice, but it's unpleasant in predictable ways.

The bit that demotivates me is the A22, far south of Croydonia. Pretty much something horrible happens every time I use it, but alternatives are thin on the ground. I could get the train for that section but part of the convenience of cycling is that I'm free of trains and timetables. It was great last year because the flooding closed it to traffic. This year it's been grim.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #16776 on: 09 April, 2015, 02:59:50 pm »
I've started peeling off at the 'Lombard' roundabout, instead of going through Streatham I go via tooting and pic up the blue route.. the traffic through Brixton 'does my head in'.. as they say

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #16777 on: 09 April, 2015, 03:03:07 pm »
I'm not sure I find Croydonia much worse than other parts of London for cycling (which isn't a compliment). The worst-of-the-1960s road system is admittedly a curse, leading to no pretty approach from the north (from the south it's not so bad, Brighton Road is wide and fairly straightforward). The council has no interest in cycling, of course, their imagination stretches about as far as parking spaces, which they're obsessed with. Like the thing Croydon needs is more traffic. I don't really mind the Brighton Road > the pedestrianised bit in the middle > London Road section. London Road isn't nice, but it's unpleasant in predictable ways.

The bit that demotivates me is the A22, far south of Croydonia. Pretty much something horrible happens every time I use it, but alternatives are thin on the ground. I could get the train for that section but part of the convenience of cycling is that I'm free of trains and timetables. It was great last year because the flooding closed it to traffic. This year it's been grim.

I've I'm cycling all the way from home I avoid the A22 like the plague and take the backroads to Tandridge village then up towards Woldingham and down towards West Wickham... and through Anerly, Dulwich etc to Denmark hill then down into town

ian

« Reply #16778 on: 09 April, 2015, 03:37:14 pm »
I've I'm cycling all the way from home I avoid the A22 like the plague and take the backroads to Tandridge village then up towards Woldingham and down towards West Wickham... and through Anerly, Dulwich etc to Denmark hill then down into town

Sadly, I live just off the A22 (and I know it gets no better after the M25) – the section between Caterham and Purley is horrible. It's very narrow in places and picks up a lot of HGV traffic. Closes passes are obligatory and while a good number of HGV drivers are professional and wait for a safe overtake opportunity there's always at least one on each journey who just has to squeeze by. It's stressful and unpleasant, because you're always waiting for it to happen, and riding wide and assertive (which you have to on the narrow sections) seems to bring out the worst in a minority of drivers. Off peak, it's a bit of a race track. It was lovely when it was closed because of flooding (and it had to stay closed because when they tried to reopen it, drivers kept crashing into the flood pipes and pumps, which tells you everything you need to know about the people who drive along there).

There's a back route along the valley but there's a few heavily parked sections that result in annoying interactions with drivers who don't like being stuck behind or refuse to give way.

I've started to clamber up to Warlingham and then take the marginally better road to Sanderstead and then down to Croydonia and vice versa. This requires substantially more cake fuel, owing to the climbs involved.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #16779 on: 09 April, 2015, 04:21:49 pm »

Sadly, I live just off the A22 (and I know it gets no better after the M25) – the section between Caterham and Purley is horrible. It's very narrow in places and picks up a lot of HGV traffic. Closes passes are obligatory and while a good number of HGV drivers are professional and wait for a safe overtake opportunity there's always at least one on each journey who just has to squeeze by. It's stressful and unpleasant, because you're always waiting for it to happen, and riding wide and assertive (which you have to on the narrow sections) seems to bring out the worst in a minority of drivers. Off peak, it's a bit of a race track. It was lovely when it was closed because of flooding (and it had to stay closed because when they tried to reopen it, drivers kept crashing into the flood pipes and pumps, which tells you everything you need to know about the people who drive along there).

There's a back route along the valley but there's a few heavily parked sections that result in annoying interactions with drivers who don't like being stuck behind or refuse to give way.

I've started to clamber up to Warlingham and then take the marginally better road to Sanderstead and then down to Croydonia and vice versa. This requires substantially more cake fuel, owing to the climbs involved.

Yes the Caterham section is a shocker, I rode from Upper Warlingham station a few weeks ago... not pleasant..especially aproaching Purly Cross

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16780 on: 09 April, 2015, 08:23:34 pm »
Bum. Oil seed rape starting to flower.  I thought there was a moratorium for the next year or two on the use of neonicotinoid coated seeds which would have/should have seen a marked reduction in the amount of OSR.  Seems I was mistaken.  Double bum.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #16781 on: 09 April, 2015, 10:14:43 pm »
I think Croydon's as bad as the Tower Hamlets to be honest, which also seems to have its fair share of drivers who Don't Give a Shit and think the road belongs to them and us pesky cyclists have no business being on it.

Last week I was waiting at lights somewhere near Commercial Road and had a driver beep me; when I turned around, it transpired through his gestures he wanted me to move out of the way (where to I don't know - the pavement?) so that he could make a turn without waiting for the lights to change and the traffic in front of him to move. I gave him a 'you must be fucking joking' look and turned back round.

Last week I had also had cause to take the Brompton on the train to a meeting in zone 1, and was struck by how much better the standard of driving was in central London.

I have quite a strong motivation to keep going at least 2/3 times a week, anyway. I want to get my fitness back, I could do with shedding the few kg that have crept on over the winter as I bought my wedding dress last September and the wedding's not til this autumn, the money saved on trains won't go amiss, and unlike the gym or classes, it doesn't take much extra time - it's only slightly longer than getting the Overground (and would probably be about the same if I was fitter and faster).

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #16782 on: 09 April, 2015, 10:31:03 pm »
Does cycling actually make you lose weight? I imagined it just converted it from lard into muscle.

Despite wearing headphones this eve, I thought my bike sounded rattlier and rougher than usual. Inspection showed this to be the case

I shall be driving to work for a while, I think  >:(

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #16783 on: 10 April, 2015, 09:22:24 am »
I think Croydon's as bad as the Tower Hamlets to be honest, which also seems to have its fair share of drivers who Don't Give a Shit and think the road belongs to them and us pesky cyclists have no business being on it.

Last week I was waiting at lights somewhere near Commercial Road and had a driver beep me; when I turned around, it transpired through his gestures he wanted me to move out of the way (where to I don't know - the pavement?) so that he could make a turn without waiting for the lights to change and the traffic in front of him to move. I gave him a 'you must be fucking joking' look and turned back round.

Last week I had also had cause to take the Brompton on the train to a meeting in zone 1, and was struck by how much better the standard of driving was in central London.

I have quite a strong motivation to keep going at least 2/3 times a week, anyway. I want to get my fitness back, I could do with shedding the few kg that have crept on over the winter as I bought my wedding dress last September and the wedding's not til this autumn, the money saved on trains won't go amiss, and unlike the gym or classes, it doesn't take much extra time - it's only slightly longer than getting the Overground (and would probably be about the same if I was fitter and faster).

It really is a night and day difference, isn't it? South Norwood and Tottenham are my two main 'outside of zone 1' areas and the driving quality is shockingly low.

Bad luck, Pancho :(

Last night

Yes! Fettling my mirror worked! It's useable and stable now!

Quite an easy ride, though after reading about the 5th cyclist of the year killed on Millbank I was a little unsettled the whole ride.

This morning

Was slightly too cold at the start, but warmed up to the right temperature quite quickly :)

Drivers seemed to be behaving themselves pretty well, aside from a usual bus overtake and immediate pull in ::-)

Today is the last day of the easy traffic, I think, as schools go back next week? :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

ian

« Reply #16784 on: 10 April, 2015, 09:36:23 am »
Yes the Caterham section is a shocker, I rode from Upper Warlingham station a few weeks ago... not pleasant..especially aproaching Purly Cross

I call that the Purley Gates, anyone brave enough to attempt to cycle around that gyratory is likely to be joining the queue for eternal judgement shortly afterwards. Up to seven lanes of drivers trying to figure out whether they're on the A22 or A23 and discovering the one they want is over there. If I go that way, I scoot across the pavement and down the High Street or go up around the other side of Purley station. Generally though, I'm trying to figure out the best way to avoid using the A22 at all.

fuzzy

« Reply #16785 on: 10 April, 2015, 10:11:13 am »
First sub 10 minute front door to summit of Quarry Wood Road commute for the year :thumbsup:

Slightly marred a hundred yards later by a bit of a fright. Slight downhill towards a bend to the left. On the outside of this bend is a junction- a right turn I take. As I approach the junction an Audi comes into view from the right and slows towards the give way lines. I have been nearly taken out at this point before, a couple of months ago by a Mk1 Golf that didn't even ease off the throttle so, I am a bit wary. I am watching the Audi as I slow, positioning myself about a foot on my side of the lane divider markings. I spy an black hatchback, possibly an Audi or BMW followed by an Audi saloon approaching from my left, beyond the bend. The lead car takes the knobber line- offside wheels on the wrong side of the divider markings. I am about to bale out left by throwing myself from G G G Granville, screaming "Move Over!" as I do so. The dappy tart driving the lead car suddenly realizes she is about to kill or seriously injure a magically apparating cyclist and takes a tyre squealing jink to her side of the road. As she passed, I felt the close proximity of the car in the ruffling of the hairs on my masculinely hirsute legs :-\

Jacomus

« Reply #16786 on: 10 April, 2015, 12:44:02 pm »
First sub 10 minute front door to summit of Quarry Wood Road commute for the year :thumbsup:

Slightly marred a hundred yards later by a bit of a fright. Slight downhill towards a bend to the left. On the outside of this bend is a junction- a right turn I take. As I approach the junction an Audi comes into view from the right and slows towards the give way lines. I have been nearly taken out at this point before, a couple of months ago by a Mk1 Golf that didn't even ease off the throttle so, I am a bit wary. I am watching the Audi as I slow, positioning myself about a foot on my side of the lane divider markings. I spy an black hatchback, possibly an Audi or BMW followed by an Audi saloon approaching from my left, beyond the bend. The lead car takes the knobber line- offside wheels on the wrong side of the divider markings. I am about to bale out left by throwing myself from G G G Granville, screaming "Move Over!" as I do so. The dappy tart driving the lead car suddenly realizes she is about to kill or seriously injure a magically apparating cyclist and takes a tyre squealing jink to her side of the road. As she passed, I felt the close proximity of the car in the ruffling of the hairs on my masculinely hirsute legs :-\

It really is astounding how drivers can be so bad at steering.  >:( >:( >:(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #16787 on: 10 April, 2015, 01:01:31 pm »

I call that the Purley Gates, anyone brave enough to attempt to cycle around that gyratory is likely to be joining the queue for eternal judgement shortly afterwards. Up to seven lanes of drivers trying to figure out whether they're on the A22 or A23 and discovering the one they want is over there. If I go that way, I scoot across the pavement and down the High Street or go up around the other side of Purley station. Generally though, I'm trying to figure out the best way to avoid using the A22 at all.
I've previously used a route parallel to the A22 when traveling south.
Foxley Hill Road, Northwood avenue, Oaks Road, Valley Road, Beverley Road, Church Road, Salmons Lane and then out into The Road Of Deth, just north of Anne Summers.
It was a good few years ago since I was down there.
Has it changed to the point where it is less desirable than Teh Road of Deth?

Purley Gates execution spot I use regularly. Riding from South Croydon towards my sister's in Coulsden and vice versa. Doing so doesn't add anything beneficial to my day. On the contrary, usually just some additional and unexpected laundry.

On last night's commute....
I arrived home at the usual time. Just a little after 19:00.
The sun was still above the horizon \o/
Some more of that, please.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #16788 on: 10 April, 2015, 01:34:40 pm »
I'm looking at rental properties at the moment - I rode over to Hampton Court/Thames Ditton on Wednesday night, then West Molesey last night (making 30 mile + trips home each night (I'm off the Hampton Court again tonight for similar).

Last night after viewing I rode over to Leatherhead via Esher and Oxshott and despite lots of the roads being pretty narrow and cars queueing behind me, I never felt intimidated.  Was a welcome relief.

ian

« Reply #16789 on: 10 April, 2015, 02:23:20 pm »

I've previously used a route parallel to the A22 when traveling south.
Foxley Hill Road, Northwood avenue, Oaks Road, Valley Road, Beverley Road, Church Road, Salmons Lane and then out into The Road Of Deth, just north of Anne Summers.
It was a good few years ago since I was down there.
Has it changed to the point where it is less desirable than Teh Road of Deth?

I sometimes go that way (for bonus points you can continue through Manor Park now the mud has gone). It can be a bit of a pain, there's a steep climb, often with heavy traffic, up Foxley Hill Road and some of those back roads are narrow with parked cars and impatient drivers. Plus it's a good bit slower than going direct. And sometimes I feel a bit bolshie, after all I should be able to use the A22, why should I inconvenience myself. Then I remember death.

The downside of my current alternate route is Succombs Hill which is bike pushing territory (I could grind up it, but not in that traffic).

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #16790 on: 11 April, 2015, 06:06:14 pm »
I was riding home on Friday I turned off the A473 to go through Pencoed to avoid the M4 junction. As I joined the main road through Pencoed my drive side crank snapped at the pedal ring. I stopped and picked up my pedal then pedalled one leg as far as the station.

The train which should only carry two bikes had seven of us on it. Apparently the guard of the previous train at Bridgend had refused to let the any cyclist join the train because another passenger had deposited luggage in the bicycle area.

« Reply #16791 on: 13 April, 2015, 11:27:12 am »

The train which should only carry two bikes had seven of us on it. Apparently the guard of the previous train at Bridgend had refused to let the any cyclist join the train because another passenger had deposited luggage in the bicycle area.

Yesterday coming back from Gloucester myself and TDM where getting on the train at the bike spaces, 2 spaces two bikes jobs a good un. Alas the chap in front of us instead of folding the kids buggy up and putting it in the enormous luggage rack just stuck all the stuff in the bike space. Thankfully the guard let us stand in the vestibule with the bikes.  Seriously do these folk lack a brain or are they just so self centred they can't imagine anyone else might need to use the space, and we were standing on the platform with him!!!

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16792 on: 13 April, 2015, 01:08:13 pm »
Yesterday coming back from Gloucester myself and TDM where getting on the train at the bike spaces, 2 spaces two bikes jobs a good un. Alas the chap in front of us instead of folding the kids buggy up and putting it in the enormous luggage rack just stuck all the stuff in the bike space. Thankfully the guard let us stand in the vestibule with the bikes.  Seriously do these folk lack a brain or are they just so self centred they can't imagine anyone else might need to use the space, and we were standing on the platform with him!!!

I think it's just the self-entitled rationalisation that parents sometimes get.  They've got children, therefore their journey is automatically more important that some BloodyCyclist's or disabled scrounger's.  TBH, I reckon lugging a couple of screaming kids and a pile of shopping around on public transport using a badly-designed pushchair is enough to kindle the everyone-for-themselves attitude in anyone.

You don't get quite the same attitude with the enormous Luggage owners.  They're usually happy enough to play sokoban, if they haven't dumped their stuff in the bike space and disappeared to another carriage.

fuzzy

« Reply #16793 on: 13 April, 2015, 01:57:30 pm »
This mornings commute was the first aboard Pete the Cannondale for the year.

I am now in the 25 to 27 minute each way realm as opposed to the 28 to 32 minute realm on G G G Granville the Ridgeback Horizon.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #16794 on: 14 April, 2015, 09:38:10 am »
Finally spotted a forumite after a long time. I am pretty sure it was HK on a scott mtb wearing a pink yacf jersey.

Other than that uneventful but it was cold (or rather I was underdressed!)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16795 on: 14 April, 2015, 09:55:30 am »
That would certainly be HK.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jacomus

« Reply #16796 on: 14 April, 2015, 11:52:14 am »
Last night I was commuting late after a meeting.

6 separate drivers had a crack at KSIing me >:( All of them were via close overtaking.

1 of sed drivers overtook me at such speed and closeness that I felt the bow wave of displaced air.

I spotted one driver rapidly undertaking the flow of traffic in lane 2 using the (narrow) bus lane. I put in a 'fear wobble' and was rewarded with the brown-moment-inducing sound of ABS working :sick: The driver then pushed his way half into lane 2 and I bailed for the gutter asap.

« Reply #16797 on: 14 April, 2015, 04:01:48 pm »
A bit of a head wind in this morning, which is never a nice thing on the A48. This was my first time back on the bike for 4weeks due to family holidays and stuff.

Looking forward to the wind behind me on the way back tonight!  8)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #16798 on: 14 April, 2015, 05:42:46 pm »
Mrs P got fed up with me being a bike-less misery and ordered me a new one while I was at work today. At least I'm no longer dithering about what to do!

« Reply #16799 on: 14 April, 2015, 07:20:26 pm »
Dunno why but the last couple miles home both yesterday and today have been really hard work. To the point this evening of considering walking up something that's barely an incline.

Hope I'm not coming down with something.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1