Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2518799 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #8925 on: 22 February, 2012, 01:22:40 pm »
But downhill they are a joke, I guess they have speed limiting to 20mph.  Something that heavy should go like a bomb downhill but they don't.

From experience of descending at speeds in excess of R17 on a gaspipe folding BSO, I suspect that it's a combination of piss-poor aerodynamics (electric bikes are usually ones with a very upright position) and a nervous rider using the brakes because the handling at speed is utterly terrifying.  The speed limiting only applies to electric power - they can go as fast as you like when propelled by the pedals or gravity.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8926 on: 22 February, 2012, 01:30:03 pm »
First morning barn owl of the year.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #8927 on: 22 February, 2012, 01:49:07 pm »
The bolt-upright Gazelle drops like a stone on the slightest downhill; God knows what it would be like if it wasn’t so upright. I recently had a moped rider go to turn right in front of me and then think better of it and wimp out at the last minute when he realised the speed at which I was hurtling towards him (lovely heartstopping moment, that).

In the New Forest at the weekend (with dog, which sadly meant without bikes) I was most impressed with the speed an old couple were zooming along at on the flat, only to notice they were on hired electric bikes.

« Reply #8928 on: 22 February, 2012, 08:17:18 pm »
Slow and horrible commute home into a viscous head wind.  Then 5 miles from home a car came whizzing up behind me on a sharp left bend and all I heard was a squealing of tyres as they skidded behind me.  I stood up in case it kept coming and started looking at the verge but thankfully it did stop.  It was a 'sports' car of sorts.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8929 on: 22 February, 2012, 10:45:03 pm »
On the final bit home, I'm approaching a side road on my left. A car comes up to the give way line as I draw near.  And pulls out. WTF. I shout and swerve right at the same time. I'm that >< close to the car. And the driver carries on his way, oblivious, I'm sure, of what's gone on.  I give a Hoy like sprint to try and catch him, but he's too fast.  Wastrel.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #8930 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:23:26 am »
Got Scalped on the way home by a young lady on a slightly older 'ladies' bike, as I wiped away the tears I saw that the bike had a very large rear hub connected to a battery connected to an LED thing on the handle bars  :D  It's electric!!!, 

those electric bikes have an Achilles heel.  If you are trying to catch one on a climb they have a small disadvantage, probably catch 20 metres per 100 metres.  But downhill they are a joke, I guess they have speed limiting to 20mph.  Something that heavy should go like a bomb downhill but they don't.
On the flat vs. a road bike they  seem about the same speed

<BZZZT>  If they are legal, they are limited to 15mph (when under power). So shouldn't be as quick as a road bike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8931 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:50:55 am »
I had a fun ride home last night many thanks to my yacf outriders (Andrij, Old Git and Huggy).  Got home at 11pm having set off at 6pm.  The later than expected arrival was mainly due to us staying for three pints in The Wheatsheaf, Writtle instead of the intended one  ;D

The following wind was excellent and thankfully the other road users were benign with the exception of a muppet on the Boreham Road (just a few miles from home) who gave Huggy a fright at a pinch point.

Looking forward to the next run home which will be the week after next at the earliest.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8932 on: 23 February, 2012, 10:23:54 am »
...The later than expected arrival was mainly due to us staying for three pints in The Wheatsheaf, Writtle instead of the intended one  ;D ...

That's the sort of accident that can happen. ;D
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8933 on: 23 February, 2012, 10:31:56 am »
...The later than expected arrival was mainly due to us staying for three pints in The Wheatsheaf, Writtle instead of the intended one  ;D ...

That's the sort of accident that can happen. ;D

I, and my mid-Essex cycling companions, are particularly accident prone in this regard  :smug:

As we were leaving The Wheatsheaf a bunch of CAMRA chaps walked in.  Seeing we were cyclists they were keen to tell us about their cycling pub tours during which they visit 2 pubs per evening.  They were somewhat crestfallen when we commented that 2 pubs was a bit lightweight and with a following wind plus good fortune on our side we could manage 6 pubs per evening.  They then went on the talk about Morris dancing, at which point I legged it.  I've long fancied having a go but know The Current Mrs R wouldn't be keen so I didn't want to be exposed to temptation. I suppose TCMR is right, I don't need another obsession  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8934 on: 23 February, 2012, 11:00:22 am »
I had another elongated commute this morning - and I only have another three if things go to plan.

I rode with Butterfly to her work, then set off up to Westminster Bridge again.  Rather than revisit Parliament Square, I turned right along Embankment, but took the left turn at Blackfriars and wove through some back streets till I emerged at Ludgate Circus, tried Holborn, got seduced into interesting side streets again, and emerged at Long Acre. 

Trafalgar Square was stupid, as usual, but once on the Mall, it was OK, though I turned off quickly down the side of the Park and past the QE Conference Centre and along my old commute cut through to Horseferry Road, where I went over Lambeth Bridge.  That's too direct, so, just before work, I turned off and did a loop up by Borough High St.  32km again.  I don't think it'll be a hat-trick of 60km days, as I want to get home this evening, but I will hit 50km.  Which is nice. :D
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8935 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:08:10 pm »
Slow and horrible commute home into a viscous head wind....
Riding through treacle?  :)

At least you got home in one piece.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8936 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:12:02 pm »

It certainly felt like riding through treacle last night. Cold treacle. While also being involved in a pillow fight.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8937 on: 23 February, 2012, 12:13:48 pm »

At least you got home in one piece.

That is quite an apt misspelling.  I like that.  Shame I can't say it was deliberate  ;D

spindrift

« Reply #8938 on: 23 February, 2012, 02:11:25 pm »
Really stupid over-takey brakey this morning. I didn't let it disturb my Zen.

plum

« Reply #8939 on: 23 February, 2012, 06:41:07 pm »
Huge lorry pulled out in front of me right at the last moment. Couldn't prevent it disturbing my zen.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8940 on: 23 February, 2012, 07:28:07 pm »
Luckily, I can see a time/temperature display on another building from the first aide room where I change at work. Luckily I looked out at it this evening.  14 at 5 pm.  Bloody hell.  That's about 17 higher than a fortnight ago.
"Right. I don't need to wear that, or that, or that, or that."
Talk about a bulging panier.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #8941 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:12:28 pm »
Cracking ride home tonight.  Still light when I left work, there were bats flitting around in the lanes at dusk & I've now clocked up my 1st thousand miles of the year  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #8942 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:47:14 pm »
Almost home, turning right at a mini roundabout, narrowly missed the rider of a small motorbike who completely failed to recognise my right of way as he rode across the rbt without a change in speed or direction.  As the bike is equipped with a Cyo up front, I have a flashing headtorch and a hi-viz vest and I'm not particularly small I can't believe that he didn't see me and the most charitable interpretation is that he didn't see my signal and assumed that I was going straight on (in the opposite direction to him).  Seeing as it wasn't even properly dark, I find this hard to believe as well so I can only think that it never entered his head that he should slow down or stop.  It was fortunate that I had him, or someone very like him, do the same bit of muppetry a while ago so I was sort of expecting it.....

Was it on of normanton's resident numpty's ?........there seem to be a new batch out there ::-) ::-) :demon:
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #8943 on: 23 February, 2012, 08:57:27 pm »
I had an assignation on the way home. So when I saw bike lights approaching, I slowed right down and did a middle of the lane, on-the-bike imitation of slow-motion arms wide romantic rushing into each others arms.

It was someone else.
 :-[

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8944 on: 23 February, 2012, 09:52:49 pm »
Back on a bike today, but sadly it was only a Norris1,2 Bike.  Better one of those than using the Tube for the entire journey both ways.

1 Well, they are quite tough
2 Not sure I could ride  Doris Bike
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8945 on: 24 February, 2012, 09:32:53 am »
I had an assignation on the way home. So when I saw bike lights approaching, I slowed right down and did a middle of the lane, on-the-bike imitation of slow-motion arms wide romantic rushing into each others arms.

It was someone else.
 :-[

Haha!

If it makes you feel better at least you didn’t mistake a random forummer you’d never met before for your boyfriend in the middle of the night on a FNRttC, just because they were wearing the same jacket  :facepalm:

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #8946 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:18:03 am »
a close overtake on the commute yesterday. Had a few words with the driver who advised me to ride 'in the kerb'.
videoed here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEcWCcZp58Q and left mentioning he'd 'knock me out' any time.
Is that something you'd report on roadsafe?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #8947 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:24:11 am »
I was given the same advice in the village last week when I caught him up.I pointed out to him that I have his registration number & know where he lives.*
Park your car in the garage at night.
Intimidation is a two edged sword.

*It's almost difficult NOT to know where someone lives in a two-horse town when you know a vehicle reg.#

« Reply #8948 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:26:58 am »
Arno, oh, that's definitely Roadsafe. I'd say there was a metre between his car and the kerb, and thus much less to your shoulder.

p.s. I just liked and commented and subscribed, that might get your video quite some attention. :P
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #8949 on: 24 February, 2012, 10:27:21 am »
It's really hard to tell how close they were from that vid - it looks like more than an arm-length away, were they closer than that?
<i>Marmite slave</i>