Linked Events

• Severn Across 400: 24 April, 2010

Author Topic: Severn Across 400k 24/Apr/10 - from Chalf St P  (Read 35423 times)

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
Re: Severn Across 400k 24/Apr/10 - from Chalf St P
« Reply #200 on: 27 April, 2010, 12:28:40 am »
My first ever 400 and my first ever DNF – although I’d clocked up 414km by the cutoff time I didn’t make mission control. The fault is all mine. Lessons have been learned. I’m not unhappy.

Here’s how it went.

I had been fastidious at preparing for this ride, frequently I start with a rubbing mudguard, computer that’s not working, or similar annoyance causing me to stop. This time everything was perfect with the routesheets  in a handmade holder AND  the GPS setup with the route. RobM very kindly collected me from home and took me to the start. I had a cup of coffee and a quick chat with a few members of the Willesden – my new club.

I’m not at my best at that time of the morning – more on this later - but noticed the drift to the door and was ready to go. Generally I fill my bottles before leaving home but this time, mindful of Robm’s car, which I  correctly guessed wouldn’t be a mobile dustcart like mine, I had decided to fill them at the start. This of course I’d forgotten to do so the entire group was well up the road before I started.

Plans for this ride were

1) Take it easy, I’d finished the Stevenage SoS 200 totally exhausted in 12 hrs and the Heart of England 300 (19hrs ) in a state where I was barely capable of eating rice pudding

2) Don’t faff at controls.

I made a half-hearted at attempt at catching up but it wasn’t going to work so returned to my normal audax pace (about 19k/h) before stopping to change gloves to the full fingered ones I had brought for the night stage as it seemed much colder that the expected 7c – even in these my fingers were cold for the first few hours. I must have got faster as I controlled at Woodstock (72k) at 9:10. Got a stamp and a takeaway tea and was off after about 5 mins.  Tewksbury (146k) was reached at 13:10. Decided that eating was a good idea as I’d discovered in the other rides this year that solid food became less and less attractive as the day went on so had a meal. Saw RobM who had had a solid start and was just leaving.

Crossed the Severn, saw a couple of buzzards, Decided not to do Yat Rock – stupid as the climb on the main road was very dull, and rolled into Chepstow (218km)  just before 6. Faffed for 30 mins – after all those hills and being alone all day it was nice to be around ordinary people in a supermarket and it was the first time I’d been in a bilingual Tesco.

Outside I met another club mate and we decided to the ride the night stage together. Over the Severn Bridge (another first) up to the Somerset monument (I walked the last 100m) Fixed on the lights, so it must have been about 8, and on through the night. A notable first in this stage was the badger which ran a few cm in front of my wheel – I’ll not forget the noise its claws made on the road. We were both getting very tired so tried for the 24 hr garage (it wasn’t) and were eventually glad to see Membury services (314k) at about 01:50. The nice lady there told us that a big group had left about 11 so we knew we were well down on time.

The sensible thing to do at this point was to have taken the A4 route but I was feeling a bit guilty about having passed on Yat Rock so decided to take the original route as it was all programmed into my GPS. My companion showed common sense and elected to follow the A4 and was to arrive within time.

Well I got lost. Sleep deprivation and I do not get  appear to get on and the remainder of this tale is one of repeating crass stupidity on my part although I was probably also a little fazed by the rat that ran out from the side of the road through my front wheel and splatted my leg with its entrails.

I must have missed a turn in the lanes as I got to a T junction that I couldn’t see on the route sheet  and so had the bright idea of getting the GPS (with a routable OSM map)  to find me a route to  Chalfont St Peter. This was all very convincing until it wanted me to left fork onto an unsurfaced road so I ignored it and got it to recalculate a new route. After a while this got  me (around 6am) to  Streatley which I remembered was on the route. However the GPS was telling me directions like “go SE down whatever road” which were of limited used if you didn’t know what the roads were called or which direction you were facing and, being a total idiot, ignored the fact that I actually knew Goring was across the river and instead headed off south towards Pangbourne and crossed the river there. It should be noted that having transferred ownership of the navigation issue to the GPS it didn’t cross my mind to check the route sheet at any point after this until it was too late.

Soon it started to rain. I still wasn’t understanding the GPS as it kept trying to route me down bridle paths and eventually my sleep–added brain was working on the level of “ride towards the dawn and you will be going east” which actually was the best idea I’d had all night. At the time it was rare that I knew where I was but looking the GPS track I can see that I regained the route on the A4074, took a more northerly course into Henley where I  took the brilliant decision (not!) to cross the bridge and climb Rememham Hill .I picked up the route again in Marlow, although I  was not aware of this,  remembered that I  knew Bourne End and it was at the bottom of the Chilterns so went there (actually on the route) picked Sheepridge Lane as my way up and got to the top thinking where now? I  sprinted off  in what I  thought was the right direction – I  was actually feeling quite fresh physically and phoned the controller from a location which I  can now see is just north of Beaconsfield and less than 11km from the end at 9:08 when the clock ran out.

I have no excuses. I’ve obvious messed up the GPS as it wanted to send be by the shortest route by any type of right-of-way. I ignored the route sheet. In short I’m a first-order navigational klutz when tired.

So am I sad. No!

I set out ride 400km for the first time ever. I did this.  I cycled a greater distance and climbed more hills than I’ve ever done before in one go. I may have been brain dead but I felt physically OK when I’d finished.

It was good!
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

JJ

« Reply #201 on: 27 April, 2010, 01:32:43 am »
Don't be downhearted (I know you're not but it sounds better).  What you encountered was the Aldworth Triangle.  I've never ridden through there on GPS without being led astray, even when I know the way, and rumour has it there's an entire subsection of the Willesden who have never been seen again.

Kudos for not turning round and going home right at the start.

« Reply #202 on: 27 April, 2010, 07:02:28 am »
Wow Julesh, that was quite an adventure for you.

You did very well recalling what happened in the last few hours.  The best I would have done is : "I got badly lost."

Congratulations on your first 400.

« Reply #203 on: 27 April, 2010, 07:09:36 am »
Biggest lesson Julesh, and one I learned in a similar though less dramatic fashion, is not to rely on the auto-routing function in a Garmin. Or failing that, to be very familiar with it, so you can spot when it's telling porkies, which can be frequent!

This is why I use only Tracks not Routes, since the machine doesn't have any "intelligent" input!

« Reply #204 on: 27 April, 2010, 09:18:48 am »
We were both getting very tired so tried for the 24 hr garage (it wasn’t) and were eventually glad to see Membury services (314k) at about 01:50.

Yeah, those cautionary notes really should have been stronger on the info sheets. Do not, under any circumstances leave Wootton Bassett without having eaten something since Hawkesbury Upton. (Wroughton could be acceptable but it generally closes earlier). They aren't the worst hills on the route but they will hit you hard if you haven't the energy for them.

« Reply #205 on: 27 April, 2010, 09:38:21 am »
My companion showed common sense and elected to follow the A4 and was to arrive within time.

You should have stuck together. In you sleep deprived state you made poor decisions later on, two heads are better than one

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #206 on: 27 April, 2010, 10:55:28 am »
What an effort Jules - very impressed.

I back up Plodding Pedro - be extremely suspicious of Garmin routes - the damn thing does not just accept what you saw on your PC - it decides that it would be better if you went this way  -- on your own, if you just accept this then you will end up at the right place - BUT - you may have been taken on undesirable roads. if you are with others - this causes doubts in your mind - as they are confident that they are turning exactly at the route sheet instruction.

I was using a route - from a previous years file - on several occasions, it would not have gone the way my "peleton" went - causing me to then get the route sheet out and clip into a bulldog clip ( my back up system).

I am going to have to spend more time either getting more points into a route - or learn the tricks needed to do an efficient track
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #207 on: 27 April, 2010, 11:03:40 am »
My companion showed common sense and elected to follow the A4 and was to arrive within time.

You should have stuck together. In you sleep deprived state you made poor decisions later on, two heads are better than one
True, but on the other hand, I would never deviate from the routesheet* with some random bloke who claimed to know an easier way. Sometimes you can't win :)

(Unless he was carrying really good spare cake).

*Or some gadget you believe to be a direct equivalent of.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #208 on: 27 April, 2010, 11:25:57 am »

True, but on the other hand, I would never deviate from the routesheet* with some random bloke who claimed to know an easier way. Sometimes you can't win :)

(Unless he was carrying really good spare cake).

*Or some gadget you believe to be a direct equivalent of.
I would. I have done. Well not a random bloke. It was on my first 400. Mike the Trundling Tyke took us an alternative way back, I trusted him and so did some others. I'd use a route sheet in favour of GPS, then if I follow it and it's wrong it's the organisers fault. I own a GPS but still not sure I can be arsed to use it instead of a route sheet, programming it has the chance to introduce errors. Using the paper as received with no changes doesn't. Bear in mind that I usually try to ride audaxes without having to navigate, just let others do it.

simonp

« Reply #209 on: 27 April, 2010, 12:30:02 pm »
I've always used one-point-per-routesheet-turn and then switched the unit into off-road mode so it doesn't try to auto-route me.  In fact I don't even have the auto-routable maps. :)

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #210 on: 27 April, 2010, 01:08:04 pm »
I've always used one-point-per-routesheet-turn and then switched the unit into off-road mode so it doesn't try to auto-route me.  In fact I don't even have the auto-routable maps. :)

Indeed. 1 waypoint per instructions and use direct routing. Can't go wrong. The distances are a little out (as it uses straight lines) but no big deal.

As an experiment, I used auto-routing for the first ever time on Saturday on my ride out with Manotea and Mattc. I knew I would be riding the whole way round with them so wasn't worried if it went a little pear-shaped. Which it did. Having said that, it was useable and actually pointed the right way* 95% of the time, so I wouldn't discount using this mode again. The most frustrating thing was finding out that being fractions out when placing waypoints in MapSource leads to the device trying to send you 10m into a field to pick it up then a U-turn back onto the road...  ;D

*right way according to the routesheet

« Reply #211 on: 27 April, 2010, 02:30:06 pm »
I always use autorouting - but have refined my placing of points so that it usually gets it right (which typically means doing things like adding "hint" points after a turn). It means that I get a nice highlighted road to follow, I rarely go seriously off route (typically just overrunning a turn when I haven't been paying attention), and it will get me to where I need to be. On an older non-routing-but-shows-a-map GPS I used the method if placing a point per instruction, but disliked that on a winding road the straight line GPS path would disappear off the display - I couldn't tell at a glance that I was still on route.

However, I also always have a route sheet in front of me, and follow instructions on both - sometimes the GPS route is obviously wrong when you are on the ground rather than interpreting on a map. Usually zooming out a bit will make it obvious that the roads are equivalent (e.g. going round opposite sides of a field).

The most frustrating thing was finding out that being fractions out when placing waypoints in MapSource leads to the device trying to send you 10m into a field to pick it up then a U-turn back onto the road...  ;D

That is annoying, usually for me it is something like it telling you to go straight across a cross roads, then U turn and turn left or right. It's a reason that I tend to use on-road routing and put points after the turn, and have a zoom setting where I can spot silly mistakes like that.

I also absolutely never trust the garmin to plot it's own route. They always end up many times longer than the ones I'd choose (one I remember was it telling me the shortest route home was 80km, I knew I could do it in 20km...), or doing ludicrous things like take nasty single track roads up and down steep valley sides to avoid riding the quiet, flat A road along the bottom.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #212 on: 27 April, 2010, 03:02:00 pm »
<Ancient Garmin GPS Mariner Mode>

When setting up a route using Garmin Mapsource for use in AutoRoute mode, the trick is to place User Waypoints* in the midpoint of key roads (NOT at junctions), spaced such there is only one sensible (sic) route between them (i.e., the desired route).

This approach (a) reduces the total number of waypoints you have to plot (b) allows the GPS to guide you through the junctions (which is what it is good at), (c) stops the GPS getting confused at junctions by the presence of extraneous waypoints and (d) reduces the risk of a Waypoint slightly misplaced** causing the GPS to send you the long way round or 10 miles down a road to the next roundabout so you can turn round.

Having created the route a further good idea is to use WINGDB3 to create a track which you copy into .GDB and set the route colour to WHITE which creates a 'halo' round the track making it easier to read on the display. Filter down the track to the max number of points supported by your GPS.

This gives you the security of an easy to read static track with the benefit of auto-routing to guide you through the junctions.

Using this approach I generally code up a 200km route in < 50 waypoints. Start with the Main Controls using Red flags, Info Controls using Green flags then flesh out the rest of the route with Blue Flags.

Easy.

*User Waypoint is my term for the user editable waypoints I create manually using Mapsource. This allows me to label the waypoints using appropriate town/street names thereby providing a narrative to the route as displayed on the GPS info fields (24km to Tulsa where Tulsa is the next Waypoint).

**Whilst you thought you'd placed the Waypoint on the apex of a junction in fact it is not and you've caused the GPS to miss the turn. Easily done.

</AGGPSMM>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #213 on: 27 April, 2010, 03:02:52 pm »
GPS

That's all I'm saying ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #214 on: 27 April, 2010, 03:06:24 pm »
Ah GPS.

I do love my GPS, it has never let me down yet.

Yep, I never leave home without my General Positioning System.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #215 on: 29 June, 2010, 11:17:38 pm »
Anyone else still awaiting a brevet card for this?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #216 on: 29 June, 2010, 11:41:56 pm »
Ride is up on my audax record- but no brevet card yet - is it waiting for French validation?
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #217 on: 30 June, 2010, 05:29:28 am »
Ride is up on my audax record- but no brevet card yet - is it waiting for French validation?
Ditto. I'd guess FB is right.

Redlight

« Reply #218 on: 30 June, 2010, 07:01:08 am »
Glad it's not just me. I don't normally worry about brevet cards but as this may turn out to be the closest I'll get to doing a SR series this year, I can at least try to join the second wave of pbp pre-registrations (i.e. those who rode a 400 in 2010).

« Reply #219 on: 30 June, 2010, 07:20:57 am »
Glad it's not just me. I don't normally worry about brevet cards but as this may turn out to be the closest I'll get to doing a SR series this year, I can at least try to join the second wave of pbp pre-registrations (i.e. those who rode a 400 in 2010).

Are you unable to get to the Spa Trek then?

Redlight

« Reply #220 on: 01 July, 2010, 07:05:38 am »

Are you unable to get to the Spa Trek then?

I'm still hoping to but I have been having a lot of problems with one knee since the Brian Chapman and haven't been able to ride more than about 100 miles without building up pain that lingers for a couple of days afterwards. I'm seeing an osteopath this week so will see what she recommends - it might just need better stretching technique or may be that I need to rest it for a while.

« Reply #221 on: 01 July, 2010, 10:59:56 am »
I'm still hoping to but I have been having a lot of problems with one knee since the Brian Chapman and haven't been able to ride more than about 100 miles without building up pain that lingers for a couple of days afterwards. I'm seeing an osteopath this week so will see what she recommends - it might just need better stretching technique or may be that I need to rest it for a while.
That's tough. Hope it works out well for you.

Redlight

« Reply #222 on: 17 August, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »
Well, the knee is holding up but still painful.  The X-ray didn't reveal anything so it must just be down to bad technique of either the riding or stretching variety.  So no risking it on a 600 this month and just a few 100-200 km rides into the autumn while I methodically stretch and periodically get pummelled by the osteopath.  Hopefully that should get me sorted in time to ride the qualifiers as early as possible next year.

In the meantime, has anyone had their brevet cards back from this ride yet?

simonp

« Reply #223 on: 17 August, 2010, 11:50:15 pm »
yes

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #224 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:43:54 am »
yes

Was that fairly recently?  I'm still waiting for mine.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.