Author Topic: Your LBS?  (Read 4945 times)

Your LBS?
« on: 08 May, 2010, 07:25:47 pm »
Any good?

I like mine. Got a good one at either end of the commute and a new one opening in the middle. The owner of which knows me from the commute, so a friendly face before spending any money. Which is nice.

The one at this end is packing up tonight and moving to bigger premises. Looking forward to it and hope they do well.

Surosa, High Peak Cycles and Johnsons Cycles to give credit where it's due. There's GBH and Harry Halls in town as well and that's the order I'd visit them.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Your LBS?
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2010, 07:29:06 pm »
My most local, not so good. My adopted LBS, Putney Cycles, is great

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »
Any good?

It's Bike Plus and yes it is just fine.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »
My LBS i avoid. I have one which isnt bad but expensive, very expensive.
Another is ok, bit further away, but the old mechanic has now gone, he was ok but could be quite arsey at times. Not sure on the new guy.
Another one is again further away but not that good.
Ive been messed about by a few others.
Theres meant to be a very good one around here but ive never been to it. He deals in second hand bikes alot, but fixes things, and will apparently get you helping him out and do it cheap.

Personally, if i cant do it myself i ask a few people in the cycle club im in if they know and they normally tell me to take it around and they will show me what i need to do or do it for me. Its great.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2010, 09:32:37 pm »
Another is ok, bit further away, but the old mechanic has now gone, he was ok but could be quite arsey at times. Not sure on the new guy.
Theres meant to be a very good one around here but ive never been to it. He deals in second hand bikes alot, but fixes things, and will apparently get you helping him out and do it cheap.

Personally, if i cant do it myself i ask a few people in the cycle club im in if they know and they normally tell me to take it around and they will show me what i need to do or do it for me. Its great.
Sid's standards in Beaston are good but very very pricey - sadly Sid is now dead which may have some effect on that.

A certain second hand dealer on Beaston high street is well dodgy as I have seen them buying bikes off kids for cash, to quote the words of the shop owner "without ID I can only give you twenty quid".

The best chap runs two little shops in Beaston, one near the fire station and the other just up the road from ultimate pursuits, one is the workshop for MTBs and the like the other is a little road shop, he is a race mechanic IIRC.

Freewheel in Notts city centre have always been trustworthy, Bunnys next to the train station are good for hard to find second hand bit's as he buys scrappers from the recycling centre, he is the only second hand dealer you can trust, he will also let you store your bike in his cellar for 50p for the day which is way more preferable to locking it up in Notts city centre.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2010, 09:36:17 pm »
Any good?

It's Bike Plus and yes it is just fine.

But missing a certain je ne sais quoi now that Paul is no longer there...  :-\

My local (as in across the road from my front door).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2010, 09:42:21 pm »
Cyclopedia in Watford.

Don't always stock what I need but they can order it. I've got wheels they built on three of my bikes, no problems with those.

I walked in there with a frame one day and bought parts to build it with and they offered to build it up for free. They've also helped me out with getting stuck pedals off and stuff like that for nothing, just bring it in..

They have a good discount for regular customers.

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2010, 09:43:03 pm »

That's ace

Cycling clubs are good :)

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2010, 09:55:41 pm »

Sid's standards in Beaston are good but very very pricey - sadly Sid is now dead which may have some effect on that.

A certain second hand dealer on Beaston high street is well dodgy as I have seen them buying bikes off kids for cash, to quote the words of the shop owner "without ID I can only give you twenty quid".

The best chap runs two little shops in Beaston, one near the fire station and the other just up the road from ultimate pursuits, one is the workshop for MTBs and the like the other is a little road shop, he is a race mechanic IIRC.

Freewheel in Notts city centre have always been trustworthy, Bunnys next to the train station are good for hard to find second hand bit's as he buys scrappers from the recycling centre, he is the only second hand dealer you can trust, he will also let you store your bike in his cellar for 50p for the day which is way more preferable to locking it up in Notts city centre.

Langdales is the one i find expensive, never tried any Beaston way.
Aladdins bikes is the second hand place. Someone at work had a problem with his BB so took his bike in, quotes of £40 from other places, cost £3 there.
Freewheel is abit like Evans now, quite expensive. I know someone that works there and i get 10% off there if i say im in the cycling club.
Bunnys Bikes i found good aswell for hard to find bits. Got bulbs for dynamo lights from there and advice, which other places couldnt give.

50p to store bike :o :o I take it into work and store it in the stock room for free ;) :thumbsup:

That's ace

Cycling clubs are good :)

Very good. They help no end. I built i fixed up with parts pretty much just from people from the cycling club. Got them either very cheap or free, lots of advice, lending of tools that i didnt have and one person even showed me how to service my bike. Which helped me no end! 8) One of the reasons i love cycling clubs

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Gaz

« Reply #9 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:06:24 am »
Geoffrey Butler Probably the best bike shop in south london?
Follow me on Twitter
My Youtube Channel - Urban Cycling - Dangerous driving and cycling.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:09:03 am »
Bike Shed in Crediton and Exeter and Barnstaple are the nearest (and I've worked for 'em too).  Good stuff, good folk, good work.  They do a lot of tourer stuff - we're on the LEJOG route, more or less, and plenty of "two days out and something fell off" repairs coming through.  Recommended.

The Bike Shed  -  Home

Sidwell Cycles are the "funny beard, cool kit" guys in Exeter and they're sound too.  I was impressed that, when I turned up with a van full of sad smelly messengers, they had a mech hanger that could be bodged, did the bodge there and then, then let us fettle it all back together while drinking huge coffees and dissing their off-the-peg fixies.

Devon Bike Shop - Sidwell Cycles in Exeter, Devon, South West UK
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2010, 06:54:30 am »
The slightly oddly named BOTS are my favourite in Bangalore, and probably my favourite out of all the places I currently consider almost-home. Not a huge range of bikes or bits, but oodles of enthusiasm and advice.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

kevinp

« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2010, 08:01:01 am »
I use Whites in Malmesbury most of the time http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/ (( great website )) although I will say they are expensive, but I know I can pop over there and pick up those odd little bits and pieces and they always have them. I have also bought some bits from Noahs ark I use this mainly for clothes http://www.noahsark.co.uk/ and there is always Cytek in Stroud.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #13 on: 09 May, 2010, 09:21:37 am »
I am still mourning the loss of Tongwynlais cycle care.  I am having some doubts about my newly adopted shop there seems to be some gaps in their knowledge.  I will find out how they handle the replacement of the bearings in the bottom bracket in the next week.  If they fail to replace the bearings and fit a new BB then they are useless.  If they damage the BB cups then it is bad luck.  If they do it perfectly then they are an excellent shop.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2010, 09:22:39 am »
In Edinburgh - my faves are Biketrax, Bicycle Repair Man, and Velo Ecosse.
Aero but not dynamic

rdaviesb

« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2010, 10:20:58 am »
Paul Hewitt Cycles in Leyland is the shop I go to first if I need a trustworthy mechanic, wheels, or advice (following which I will always buy from them, even if its a lot more expensive). If I know what I am doing, then it's off to the Ribble Warehouse. For odd bits and bobs (e.g tandem cables) my nearest shop is Broadgate Cycles in Penwortham.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2010, 10:52:20 am »
My LBS is fantastic, always helpful, never look down their noses at you (however a big pile of poo it is that you take in to them for repair)  and they have a fantastic range of bike pron to oogle whilst you wait (inclusing, once, a Pinarello Prince of Spain!)

cowley cycles
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2010, 11:37:15 am »
Small world.

I've ridden with Sid a few times - used to go out with the CTC bunch in Nottingham, late 90s/turn of the millennium. Very sorry to hear he passed away (when?) - I think he'd just come out of hospital for some heart thing (??) when I was out once but he kept plugging up the hills. I didn't know him well at all but he struck me as a really nice guy - I remember one rainy Sunday sitting in the tearoom at Rothley station:

http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/rothley/18320.html

nattering about this and that - I remember being impressed by how open minded he was - clearly a very experienced old time cyclist but a fan of more recent improvements like clothing. And I particularly remember him very gently commenting (no idea how the conversation drifted that way and I have no idea what his politics were - irrelevant) that the consensus during the war was that the Soviets were real heroes. RIP Sid.

Freewheel - yes a good shop but they wound me up because I was pretty sure (can't be totally sure) that on a fair few previous visits I'd asked if they gave CTC discount. Was told no, but I used to continue to support them as my LBS even though I could get the discount from London bike shops on my frequent business trips there. Then later by chance I was told that they'd always done it - at which point I asked for past discounts (they always asked for my complete name and address for even the smallest purchase so that they could log it on the computer) – with their one opportunity to use this for maximising customer relationships, the owner refused. It then got a bit hysterical and the owner started wittering about “caveat emptor” and then, as he followed me out into the street, with a manic  note of triumph in his manner and a strange  gleam in his eye, said: “I bet you don’t even know what that means do you?”  Maybe he thought someone with a northern accent couldn’t possibly have any sort of education. I don’t know. Probably my most bizarre experience ever in a bike shop. Ever used any Latin on them Zoidberg?

<<From Zoidberg>>
[/quote]Sid's standards in Beaston are good but very very pricey - sadly Sid is now dead which may have some effect on that.

[/quote]

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:13:56 pm »
Surosa

I'm racking my brains now trying to think what they used to be called. Derek something? I always liked looking in the window under the previous owner, but it was all a bit spendy for me as a schoolboy. I did buy a chainset from there once.

When I lived there I tended to use Skidmores (a great name for a bike shop!) in Oldham, or sometimes Rowbothams (guns and bikes - great combination) or Gerry Shields.

Local to me, the only one I've found that I like is Pedal On at Tadley, but I've never had any work done on a bike at a LBS - even as a kid I always did my own.

« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:20:24 pm »
Woodrups. Always served me well but I don't use it much at all. Probably over year since I was there when I bought rim tape. Their handbuilt wheels were good and I like the fact that they'll let you take your own hub and/or rim in to be built. I say 'were' since it's a long time since I had any built for me, I have no idea if the same chap is still there.

Never been to Bob Jacksons.

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:24:13 pm »
Woodrup's old (second) shop on North Lane, Headingley was about 200m from our first house.  It was Ainsworth's for a while after that, but whilst Mr Ainsworth was a very nice chap he wasn't a business type, and he went bust in about 1995.

I think I kept him in business until we moved in mid 94...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:38:56 pm »
We live within striking distance of Pearsons, Wallington Cycles, Geoffrey Butler, BikePlus and Corridori.

The first I wouldn't trust their workshop ever again, and it's only cause Sutton's so easy to get to that I buy things there anyway.  Wallington Cycles (formerly an Action Bikes) is a bit meh, but has decent stuff at decent prices, and is a proper local business.  Currently using Corridori most.  Good service, friendly people, and a cute dog
Getting there...

« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:42:37 pm »
Actually, the last bike shop I visited was Chevin Cycles in Otley, it's not a particularly special place though, nice stuff but full price, I had some vouchers for there. I like to ride to Harrogate to go to Spa Cycles too. I'd go there more often if they were open on Sundays (like what Chevin are).

« Reply #23 on: 09 May, 2010, 01:20:59 pm »

Sounds familiar.
A lot like when I used to use the LBSs. A few of them where I used to live were actually quite good to be fair. But if I wanted anything that wasn't mainstream, then it always became a PITA. I'd be led a merry dance as the shop had what I wanted on oreder for weeks at a time until I always inevitably gave up on them and hunted in magasines for a shop that I could buy it from.
I moved to Milton Keynes. Here I have what is thought to be the best bike shop around about a mile from my doorstep. It's a great shop if you are rich and a keen road racer or TTist. The owner is a former national road race champion and still very active. His shop does a lot for local cycle racing and seems to support younsters. But trying to use his shop for anything else seems like expensive and hard work. I haven't been inside that shop for about a decade now. It's a shame really. There is another shop I could try, which might be good. It supported someone in the National 24 hour last year and might be a good choice for what I would want. I did pop in there once though and it seemed to have hardly anything in stock.
But I tend to go online almost all of the time. I've had too much grief waiting for a shop to order me something. I know that I can get onto Wiggle, Chain Reaction or SJS Cycles and have what I want within my grasp within a few days. Plus I can look at a wider range much more easily. They are often much cheaper than my LBS even if they're not the cheapest, I know that I'll get what I want and they won't mess me around. If they don't have it, I can cancel the order and buy elsewhere or wait and see if it comes in stock. LBSs have always kept me waiting and messed me about.
Say what you like about Wiggle. It's rare for them to not come up with the goods and if that happens, they keep me informed. On line shops give me no grief and are less hassle. Wiggle did a very good job with the bike I bought from them last year.
Other than that, I sometimes go to my local Evans. My last purchase was a Specialized bike. I never bothered to shop around my other LBSs. I think it's a fantastic bike for £500 and I know that Evans won't mess me about. I can't imgine that it'd cost much less at my LBS, or if it even did.

It's sad really. Us cycle enthusiasts have cycling clubs to help us out, but for the average Joe who only wants a bike for utility, all they have is a LBS who probably won't cater for them very well.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2010, 02:02:45 pm »
In Edinburgh - my faves are Biketrax, Bicycle Repair Man, and Velo Ecosse.
I like Bicycle Repair Man, and it's my nearest one too.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.