Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 368868 times)

Tim Hall

• Bright are the stars that shine Dark is the sky
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #5500 on: December 06, 2018, 08:54:47 am »
Having reinvigorated my library habit, I'm part way through "The Sacred Art of Stealing" by Christopher Brookmyre. Situationist and surrealist bank robbers take on Angel X. With Scottish accents.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #5501 on: December 07, 2018, 10:29:54 am »
Hearts in Atlantis.  Two novellas and three short stories by Stephen King.  The first would be a bit weird to anyone not au fait with The Dark Tower.  Really enjoying Blind Willie now.
Blimey, that last instalment, Heavenly Shades of Night Are Falling, had me crying like a baby.  I could barely see my Kindle through the tears.  :'(

« Reply #5502 on: December 07, 2018, 12:14:54 pm »
Hearts in Atlantis.  Two novellas and three short stories by Stephen King.  The first would be a bit weird to anyone not au fait with The Dark Tower.  Really enjoying Blind Willie now.
Blimey, that last instalment, Heavenly Shades of Night Are Falling, had me crying like a baby.  I could barely see my Kindle through the tears.  :'(

Heavenly Shades Of Night Are Falling is the opening line from the sublime song Twilight Time which was a hit for The Platters in the 50s.  I saw them with my Mam at The Globe, Stockton-on-Tees!  Surprised nobody has thought of Twilight Time as a film title........

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5503 on: December 07, 2018, 03:54:55 pm »
As a result of recs from Mr L plus others, I am reading the start of the Charlie Parker books.... Good
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5504 on: Yesterday at 12:38:57 pm »
One Man and His Bike Mike Carter.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5505 on: Yesterday at 03:17:38 pm »
Having finished the James Oswald - so-so IMO, now onto the latest “Rivers of London” series, Lies Sleeping, from Ben Aaronovitch.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5506 on: Yesterday at 06:11:44 pm »
As a result of recs from Mr L plus others, I am reading the start of the Charlie Parker books.... Good
Did he not like the endings??

<badoom-tisch>
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles